Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited October 2016
    Raver, dwarf kensai {3} (update 3 - possibly final?)
    Previous updates for this character:

At the Bandit Camp I knew there was a possibility of being drawn into a fight with multiple enemies at once. Hence Raver went potion mad for the first time, layering potions of cloud giant strength, stone form, mind focusing and heroism on top of a scroll of PfM. That enabled him to make short work of the opposition there. I even managed to manoeuvre him inside the tent, such that when he killed Hakt, Ender Sai was out of sight behind a pillar.

In the Cloakwood Raver only just survived the first ambush by 4 ettercaps.
    Undaunted though he pressed on and went through the remaining areas without trouble - successfully dragging the 5 ettercaps guarding the web traps back to be dealt with individually. The only other ambush was 3 giant spiders, who didn't last long. At the mine he used horror and retreated with the aim of isolating enemies, but Drasus was the only one scared and came into sight before immediately returning back to the others (dragging a berserk Raver back with him). That led to a harder fight than planned for and it looked like Raver would manage only a pyrrhic victory when the last enemy fell, with both a scorcher and an acid arrow active and only a few HPs left.
    Luckily the gods continued to smile on him and his berserk state ended quickly this time - allowing him to use a potion of magic blocking (actually he could have levelled up to get some more HPs, as he got to level 8 in that fight, but I didn't notice that until looking at the screenshots).

I wasn't planning to take on Hareishan, but the secret door leading to the ghasts was determined to remain secret - so eventually I used a potion of invulnerability and potion of absorption and went into the attack - that actually proved a very easy fight after successfully disabling most of the opposition with horror.
    While the invulnerability was active the guards downstairs were cleared before Raver retreated back upstairs to rest and heal. Coming back down however I found the same problem of the secret door closing off Davaeorn not showing itself. I don't remember seeing that particular bug before - saving and reloading didn't help with that and the ExploreArea and MoveToArea console commands didn't show anything new while ctrl-J won't move him into unexplored territory.

Having got this far though it seems a shame to give up - anyone got any other ideas on what I could do?
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    You could spawn a new Davaeorn?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Did you wait a long time? And doesn't INT/WIS have something to do with finding it quickly? Potions of insight/wisdom maybe? Recruit a NPC for a just a moment to find the door for you then kick them out when they do?
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 I have found that in the last couple of days, the doors have been a lot harder to find. I wonder if it is an update from GoG which is to blame. There has been one. I think that it was last night. I don't think that Intelligence and wisdom have anything to do with it as Atherling had Wis and Int of 18. My problems were in the same mine, but different doors. No problem with the one to Davaeorn.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 I'm impressed at your commitment. Assuming I tried a full trilogy run, I don't think I'd have the fortitude to start from level 1 with each failure. I'd just start back at the beginning of whatever game I was in.

My time is too limited, I fear I'd never progress beyond BG1 lol.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    alceryes said:

Lightning strikes thrice!

I had something like that happen on the siren map. Just as we started to fight the ogre pack, Jaheira was struck, then during the fight, three ogres were struck by lightning. I can see why people believe in Talos.
    Best of luck for the endgame, @Enuhal !
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited October 2016
    @Enuhal Looking Good. :)

It was not so good for Saldon Slingshot a fighter/mage with ** in slings and sword and shield. The improved assassins in candlekeep were a real trial, Shank having reduced Saldon to 1 HP before dying.
    Mendas however was the real problem.
    Despite being blessed and protected from evil and having used the oil of speed in the training room, when Saldon took on Mendas he only took Mendas to near death before facing death himself. :(
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited October 2016
    Sorry about that @Wise_Grimwald - sounds like you could have used a storm giant potion for that little bit of extra damage. If you are a fighter/mage, maybe mirror image/blur/improved invisibility too?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Go @Enuhal ; for the glory!