Skip to content

Collector's Edition question

Can anyone say with any certainty that the CE will arrive or not arrive in the month of April? As much as I want it sooner it would be best for me if it was later...lol I'm in Canada so I'll have to pay duty when it arrives. I'd like advanced notice if possible so as not to mistakenly max out my credit card. I'm on Disability (ODSP) so I only get money on the last day of every month.

Comments

• KelvrynKelvryn Member Posts: 44
    so.............any idea?
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    I don't think it's ready to ship yet, not for another few months.
    That would be good, give me time to rebuild my credit card...lol
    March has been the month of hell in regards to game releases. I'm glad its over. I bought Far Cry Primal, The Division, Zelda TPHD and BGSoD CE. Well those and half a Samsung 4k bluray player...lol
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Iirc it's supposed to arrive around June, but I remember some people complaining that it had already been deducted from their savings despite not being shipped.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    ok now I'm annoyed. Where the hell is my SoD CE. You've had enough time.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    They received a test version of (some of) the materials less than a month ago so I guess it will take some more time before all the CE's are finished and available for shipment.
  • Dethmetal42Dethmetal42 Member Posts: 6
    Can we get an official update here please? I dropped $150 like six months ago, and I'm disappointed in the lack of updates.
    catsarekacamp
    I see law suits in the future if you don't hurry the bloody hell up.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    To gain what precisely?

IF Beamdog lost a (long and hugely expensive) court case over this they would almost certainly be ordered to pay costs. Then their most expedient financial option would be to declare themselves insolvent - so nobody gets a CE box, or any more games from Beamdog.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Kelvryn said:

I see law suits in the future if you don't hurry the bloody hell up.

Lawsuit? The amount any individual customer has lost wouldn't cover the first step of a lawsuit. Even a small claims filing would cost more than the the CE.

I suppose the teeming dozens awaiting their boxes could go class action, but that wouldn't be worth a lawyer's time, either.

The fallout for Beamdog in all of this is that collector's editions of future products probably won't be realistic. Of course, SoD is far enough off the radar that this may hardly be remembered if they hit big with a different title.

I'm sure Beamdog will either ship something or issue refunds.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Gotta agree that lawsuits are unrealistic. Nobody stands to gain and everybody would stand to lose.

On the other hand, these are the lessons that could be learned from this, to my mind:

1) Don't offer a collector's edition unless you have everything sorted out already. Have your demos done before you start talking about it, know who you're working with. (In fairness, I think they did have this done ahead of time for the most part, the manufacturers just didn't get in gear fast enough.)

2) Don't offer a collector's edition that's shipped months after the game's release. At that point, the motivating factor is not capitalizing on hype, it's trying to appease an already invested and annoyed fanbase. There's no winning at that point and it's just a question of how to lose least. It's easy to let schedules slip when "on time" is that late in the game, and it only gets worse.

3) Don't base collector's editions on how many will order it. Have a number you feel you can reasonably sell and let it sell out. Sucks to be late comers, but this lets you tighten up the numbers early and ensure you get your buyers what they paid for in a timely and professional manner.

4) Don't charge $130 for a speculative product. There's nothing in the collectors edition that's worth the price point. Speaking for myself, I bought it only to support the project, but getting something for your money is still important. Good will can get people to pay that kind of scratch, and be happy for doing it, but failing to deliver can cause that good will to whither quite quickly indeed. It's a lot easier to tolerate being given the run-around over an extra twenty bucks than over an extra hundred.

5) Caveat Emptor. I wouldn't be in this boat if I'd read up enough to know that the collector's edition wasn't going to be shipped on or around release date. That was a deal breaker. Just because a detail like that seems like a no-brainer, however, doesn't justify making the assumption. In no small part, it's my own darn fault I'm sitting here six months later with a hundred bucks of nothing but third party posts repeating tweets. I mean, I've got the game, so $30 of my coin was well spent at least. The remaining one hundred? Looking more and more like an idiot tax for trusting without verifying what I was getting.

6) COMMUNICATE. Twitter is not enough, because not everyone uses it. You RUN a forum full of inquisitive souls, begging for the least bit of update. Use it. Tell US what's going on, where we stand on this stuff - we, the people who are actively asking for news. If this forum has all the warm welcome of a piranha pool, it's because you don't feed us. A lot of the problems revolving around this game wouldn't have gotten to the levels they did if there had been communication.
    AndreaColombo
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm reading this here and there: "There is no communication" and each time some part of me dies. It's not true! Trent Oster himself keeps posting on this forum each week on the hottest topics. The QA team keeps watching the UI discussion subforum. The trobleshooting subforum gets help from gate70, elminster, troodon80 and other team members. And I'm always here, monitoring and providing a bridge between players' questions and devs' answers.

All updates that could be given in the CE have been given, you can see Trent's posts on the matter. As soon as something important happens in that regard, it will be posted about.
    bleusteel
    If that is the case, I am sorry for my false impression. The only news I find on this forum are retweets, not actual updates. Where should I be looking for these?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The last forum post on the matter - here. The last Trent's post on the matter - here. They're still relevant.

As for news regarding future plans, this thread has answers from the devs.
    semiticgoddessSjerrie
    Thank you for directing me to the new thread. I'll keep an eye on that. At very least it has officially dashed my hopes for a BG2 update, and hopefully more future information will become available. However, most of the other posts I saw on the other threads with an "official" response were retweets from twitter. That is not the same as talking to us, at least to my mind.
    Paladin
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    @Calemyr, I just want to let you know that I really appreciate your postings. You explain your points rationally and convey the collective discontent that I think is percolating in the fan community effectively. I don't have the stamina to post as you do, so I really hope that you stick around on these forums as I feel like you are speaking on my behalf. Cheers.
    semiticgoddess
    edited February 2017
    I got mine, its pretty cool Thanks

Sylvus_MoonbowJuliusBorisov
    Honestly speaking, I get a lot of collector's Editions but I have to say, this is the best quality of CE I've ever gotten.
    • SWTOR CE
    • Final Fantasy XIV CE+ Heavensward CE
    • Civilization V SE
    • Civilization VI Anniversary Edition
    • Diablo III CE + Reaper of Souls CE
    • World of Warcraft, Cataclysm-Legion CE's (4)
    • Star Trek Online SE
    • StarCraft: Legacy of the void CE
    • EVE: The Second Decade
    • Civilization Chronicles
    • BG:SOD CE
    • Final Fantasy XV Deluxe Edition :( (how dare they release the CE for preorder when I'm sleeping!!)
    So 17 in all currently. The stars aligned and I was one of the ones that was able to preorder Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Special Edition. Had no idea they were coming out with the CE so I missed it. I missed out on a Master Sword Statue. :(

My Pet Peve: Game Companies that purposely limit the amount of CE's they make. I'm not a normal collector. I like to open them and play with the doodads and read the books and watch and listen to the dvds/blurays and soundtracks. So it greatly PISSES ME OFF when companies limit them and sell out within 5 minutes.

/end ramble, sorry
    JuliusBorisov
  • DerLeichsenringDerLeichsenring Member Posts: 2
    Is there a Number of how many of those Boxes are made? How limited is it? Have you payed Duty when it arrived? I´m from Germany and i don´t know if i have to pay