Skip to content

Civilization VI released

Comments

• YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    @Varwulf What difficulty was this?

Aggression goes higher with each step, maybe things gets a little unbalanced on anything higher then Prince :expressionless:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ya, AI seems a tad wonked.

I had India ask for friendship with me and I gladly gave it, only for them to declare war against me 7 turns later with the rest of the continent (Rome - surprised war, England - formal).

With Gandhi's trait, I was surprised he was able to do so.

Rome then went ahead and sent one warrior at a time towards my capital to be slaughtered by my two archers. The barbarians have better tactics than that!

Anyway, still enjoying it. The first Civ game is always the best as you don't have a routine on how and when to build things and this version, you really need to plan everything out.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    You mean the AI rulers of the world are totally insane borderline maniacs? Wow! I'm impressed! Perfect simulation of the real world! 10/10 :wink:
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sounds like boundary shifts due to culture (?) Could be the issue from what I have read. And have you not built units as fast as you can to then send them to be slaughtered by that one phalanx holding on? Do you not know hate @deltago ? (Because those Romans certainly hated you... AI doing okay there I think...)

I need to play this game...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    This is why I wait for the first expansion before buying a civ game. Let them work out all the kinks first.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Actually... This is my real take on the Civ series.

Civ 1 was the BEST!

Civ 2 was EXACTLY the same as Civ 1 except it had an isometric view, videos and people talking at you... IT WAS NOW THE BEST!

Civ 3 nerfed the pyramids... This broke the game for me. Also way to easy.

Civ 4 got rid of the squares. Pyramid problem not fixed. Also way to easy.

Civ 5 not bought due to massive strop over the pyramids.

Civ 6? Has the pyramid problem been resloved?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2016
    Anduin said:

Civ 4 got rid of the squares. Pyramid problem not fixed. Also way to easy.

Civ 4 got rid of squares? Wasn't that civ 5?
    Civ 6 Pyramids give you one builder and all builders can upgrade one additional square. Some what useful.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @Yamcha Prince difficulty.

Finished my first Marathon game as Norway this weekend after 26+ hours of slogging through an island map. Accidental culture win, but it was good fun.

I think there is a lot of potential here, but I am excited for new expansions to improve on the formula and fix some of my gripes.

Able to research planes before I can build square rigged sailing ships? Um...

The research tree feels very thinned out, as does the unit variety. I think this needs to be resolved. I didn't even get to use my Berserkers, by the time I had one built I already had infantry research--on Marathon.

The Civics Tree doesn't end, you just keep researching the same two Civics over and over (Globalization and Social Media) which I felt was fairly alpha/beta-ish.

AI is pretty suicidal to the point of lunacy, but that has been an issue in Civ since--as long as I can remember.

But again, I am pretty impressed so far. A little underwhelmed in some categories, but overall I am happy :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2016
    What are the advisors like? I take it they didn't go old school and go back to videos with actors :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTIk80uBPg
    There is only one advisor. A female AI voice with a cartoonish picture every time she wants to advise you on something.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2016
    No one so far has said anything that would make me inclined to buy CivVI. It sounds pretty aweful tbh.
    Gosh, since playing Civ VI, I keep thinking about the advisers from Civ II. Thank you, @elminster! :)
    Fardragon said:

No one so far has said anything that would make me inclined to buy CivVI. It sounds pretty aweful tbh.

We are not here to sway you to purchase anything. If 4X games are not your thing, then don't purchase it. It is however, a complex strategy game that has vastly improved what came before it.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    From what @varwolf has said I think I'll wait a year or two and get the full game (dlcs included)

I've also read that the ai is a bit wonky in places still, hope that gets fixed. I made the mistake of buying beyond Earth when it was first released and it was garbage imo.
    deltago said:

Fardragon said:

We are not here to sway you to purchase anything. If 4X games are not your thing, then don't purchase it. It is however, a complex strategy game that has vastly improved what came before it.
    I very much like stratagy games, the more complex the better, but everything the people who own CivVI have said in this thread has created the impression that it is nothing but a dumbed down, inauthentic, buggy cash-in on the brand name.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Someone help me convince my wife I need a new PC! Or at least an upgraded (larger) SSD for my laptop so I can run on low specs.....
    Well how about this:

The game takes planning. Everything a city does is connected. Your districts are capped until you hit certain population milestones, so choosing which district to build when is paramount. If you rush only one type (say science) you might feel like you are flying by until your commerce starts to suffer or another civilization waltzes into your borders and spams all your cities with their religion, completely negating yours. You'll stop getting Eureka's and your science progress will begin to slow and lag, and everyone else will start catching up to you.

Population needs two things to grow, housing and food. Housing is more important, and you can only get housing through buildings in your districts (and some civic policies) as well as where you found your city. If you are on fresh water (like a river) you start with more housing than without.

Every Great Person and City State is unique and gives different rewards for recruiting them. You don't purchase City States like in 5, but send envoys. The more envoys you send (to 6) the greater the rewards, and if you have the most envoys you get their unique trait. You can however, buy your city states army and use it to help declare war on another civilization. If the game can just tweak the city states army (sharing your resources for example so they can upgrade), this can be a huge game changer.

You also lose your envoys if a city state gets conquered by another civil, so choosing one you can't defend can be costly.

The game also goes back to previous generations when it comes to expansion. Civ5 punished you for expanding too quickly (with global happiness and tech decay) but that isn't the case in 6. Claiming the right territory as soon as possible

There is no wonder spamming. Since wonders are built outside of the city center, you need to plan their placements carefully. You also can only build wonders in certain areas. Stonehedge, you need to build it adjacent to stone; the Hanging Gardens, only on a river; Pyramids, only on a desert hex. You get the idea.

AI defense is probably my only gripe at the moment. It is too easy to build up a small army and just march through them. I have yet to lose a city (although my restartitis might have something to do with it).
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    @jobby The mistake with Beyond Earth was, it was pretty much civ5 with a texture update, some minor changes but without the content from the civ5 addons.

They didn't do the same mistakes with civ5. I'm not under the impression that some content (in comparison with 5 ) is missing, in contrary, all those features Ponyboy listed are quite refreshing.

Also I find the AI more challenging as in Civ5. Playing on King, my neighbors and even barbarians (they start with horsemen :anguished: ) are pretty threatening. Everyone has giant armys moving around while I just have a small garrison, my only respite is that they wage war against each other. Though Cleopatra has conquered my 7+ envoy city state... (couldn't be done in civ5), and now we border directly :cry:

I also suffer from restartitis, haven't progressed further then the late middle ages (yet)
    edited October 2016
    deltago said:

Stonehedge, you need to build it adjacent to stone;

This also seems to suggest a lack of "historical context". The most remarkable thing about Stonehenge was that the stones where transported hundreds of miles.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Pteran said:

Someone help me convince my wife I need a new PC! Or at least an upgraded (larger) SSD for my laptop so I can run on low specs.....

Make sure to double check if your particular GPU is supported. Civilization VI has some preset hardware restrictions, because 2k obviously knows best what sort of a machine you might have :smirk:
  • cbarker15cbarker15 Member Posts: 38
    I bought this game today and my computer can't run it. I'm so distraught... My comp runs Civ 5 flawlessly at highest settings... whyyyyyy...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I liked Civ 4 best
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I never understood why in Civilization certain units are not just immune to the damage of other units. There is no way archers can shoot down my stealth bomber dropping nuclear bombs on them...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    mlnevese said:

There is no way archers can shoot down my stealth bomber dropping nuclear bombs on them...

Give me a bow and I'll shoot down your nuclear submarines as well!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kheiGCstgk
    :smirk:
    mlnevese said:

I never understood why in Civilization certain units are not just immune to the damage of other units. There is no way archers can shoot down my stealth bomber dropping nuclear bombs on them...

I remember in Civ IV being ticked off when enemy Longbowmen were doing considerable damage to my Apache Longbows...

It's like, the cyclone created by the helicopter's rotors would render it immune to incoming arrows even if those arrows somehow could damage the gunship in question.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    edited November 2016
    Varwulf said:

mlnevese said:

I remember in Civ IV being ticked off when enemy Longbowmen were doing considerable damage to my Apache Longbows...

It's like, the cyclone created by the helicopter's rotors would render it immune to incoming arrows even if those arrows somehow could damage the gunship in question.
    Should've cast a Wind Wall spell ;)
    Post edited by Pteran on