Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    ThacoBell said:

Calling people bigoted because of where they live geographically is NOT okay.

It also ironically speaks to the pot's lack of self-awareness when calling the kettle black.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Well, I'm happy Donald Trump won. Besides the fact that you haven't seen Democrats so angry since slavery was abolished, I'm looking forward to the rise of American nationalism, the flowering of the dollar and resulting economic boom, the stripping of victim identity and safe spaces, and the renewed enforcement of American sovereignty. It will also be very nice to have the 'affordable' care act overturned so I don't have to pay a $700 deductible every month anymore.

You left off some stuff you can look forward to such as the rise in hate crimes, government policy of denial of climate change, government sponsored torture, and instead of a $700 deductible you can look forward to losing your insurance completely.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Well, I'm happy Donald Trump won. Besides the fact that you haven't seen Democrats so angry since slavery was abolished, I'm looking forward to the rise of American nationalism, the flowering of the dollar and resulting economic boom, the stripping of victim identity and safe spaces, and the renewed enforcement of American sovereignty. It will also be very nice to have the 'affordable' care act overturned so I don't have to pay a $700 deductible every month anymore.

You left off some stuff you can look forward to such as the rise in hate crimes, government policy of denial of climate change, government sponsored torture, and instead of a $700 deductible you can look forward to losing your insurance completely.
    Hate crimes? Not with Jeff Sessions in charge of the Justice Department! Nope, when black churches start burning, he'll just classify it as simple vandalism. No hate crimes here. No reason for the FBI to get involved, nothing to see here folks, just go back to sleep and wait for those manufacturing jobs that you lost to robots illegal aliens to magically reappear.
    Why isn't the right up in arms about this?

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Safe spaces like the one Mike Pence apparently needed at a Broadway musical??
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 It's not just for gays anymore

https://youtu.be/-6S5caRGpK4
    edited November 2016

ThacoBell said:

It also ironically speaks to the pot's lack of self-awareness when calling the kettle black.
    I LIVED there. I'm not pulling things out of the air or conducting some anthropological guesswork. I'm basing it off the people I knew and things I saw for damn near 18 years. No one is going to lecture me about what rural, small-town America is like.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2016

ThacoBell said:

I LIVED there. I'm not guessing or conducting some anthropological guesswork. I'm basing it off the people I knew and things I saw for damn near 18 years. No one is going to lecture me about what rural, small-town America is like.
    Thats amazing, you lived in EVERY small town in America? Very impressive.

@BillyYank I can imagine that would be quite a shocker in vastly white dominated population. There are quite a few small towns with a lot of race variety too though.

You certainly got your wish, no safe spaces here.
    BillyYank said:

You certainly got your wish, no safe spaces here.
    The entire "safe-space" meme is pure garbage. As far as I can tell, it's strictly confined to college campuses, which 99% of people have no interaction with after their early-20s. And again, I'm all ears. Exactly WHAT is it that the "anti-PC" folks want to say that you are being prevented from saying?? Because no one is stopping anyone from saying anything. Where the problem comes is when someone pushes back. There are no safe-spaces in the real world. It's a useful myth for the alt-right/Gamer-Gate ideology.
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

I LIVED there. I'm not guessing or conducting some anthropological guesswork. I'm basing it off the people I knew and things I saw for damn near 18 years. No one is going to lecture me about what rural, small-town America is like.
    Thats amazing, you lived in EVERY small town in America? Very impressive.

@BillyYank I can imagine that would be quite a shocker in vastly white dominated population. There are quite a few small towns with a lot of race variety too though.
    I'm sure there might be a small town here and there that are truly integrated, but the majority of small towns that have multi racial populations are fairly segregated. Often with a river or railroad track dividing the white side of town from the black side of town.

Oddly, the place I thought I'd have the most trouble turned out to be quite a bit more welcoming. In my parents hometown, there's hardly any black people in the town or the region around it. My extended family there was far more welcoming to my (black Catholic) wife than my brothers' (white Protestant) wives. Sometimes it just depends on how you define us and them, but in the majority of the country, that divide is skin color.
    edited November 2016
    So last night police fired tear gas and induced hypothermia by spraying water in freezing temperatures on water protecting protesters at Standing Rock, ND

A lot of people are getting hurt.

So last night police fired tear gas and induced hypothermia by spraying water in freezing temperatures on water protecting protesters at Standing Rock, ND

A lot of people are getting hurt.

Absolutely shameful. And this is on Obama as well, for at least not intervening more when he still has the chance. I live in ND, on the opposite end of the state. The oil companies practically have their own fiefdom in the western half. They have the local media, law enforcement, and the entire State government in their pocket.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Syria, Kazakhstan, Tunisia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Libya, Jordan, UAE, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Kuwait, Albania, Mauritania, Oman, Kosovo, Bahrain and Qatar.

I put a couple of European and African countries in there so you do not assume I'm a racist.

Putting aside racism, if you want me to think you have any sort of evidence-based understanding of what you're talking about, you should probably not refer to most of the above list as "Arab countries", given they aren't, y'know, even majority-Arab.

Gosh, I wish all those Swiss people hadn't elected Donald Trump!
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

So, is it not true that statistically people in middle America are far more likely to be prejudiced against blacks and hispanics? That rural areas are consistently more bigoted almost everywhere in the first world, and that there is a high correlation between bigotry and support for conservatism and populism?

I mean, yeah, it's very unfair to say "everyone" is like that, but let's be serious - the trend is clear almost everywhere.

In this particular case, too, anyone voting for Trump did so despite his well-publicised racist and misogynist behaviour and comments. I will note that said comments were so far outside the pale of political norms that even much of his own party condemned the comments (including using the term "racist" in Paul Ryan's case, for instance).

As well, racial animus was one of the statistically strongest indicators of "Trump voter".

Trump didn't get elected just on the racist vote, but it's also silly to pretend he wasn't elected due in large part to the racist (and sexist) vote. Every objective indicator is entirely to the contrary, and the candidate's own comments and positions are to the contrary.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Safe spaces like the one Mike Pence apparently needed at a Broadway musical??
    I think you missed Mike Pence's response to the Hamilton lecture and booing:

"Well, first off, my daughter and I and her cousins really enjoyed the show. "Hamilton" is just an incredible production, incredibly talented people. And it was a real joy to be there.

You know, when we arrived, we heard -- we heard a few boos, we heard some cheers. And I nudged my kids and reminded them that's what freedom sounds like.

And -- but at the end, you know, I did hear what was said from the stage, and I can tell you, I wasn't offended by what was said. I'll leave to others whether that was the appropriate venue to say it."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-the-nation-transcript-november-20-2016-pence-paul-ellison/
    http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2016/11/20/vice-president-elect-mike-pence-talks-transition-sen-schumer-on-working-with/
    This all just sounds so familiar...where have I read about someone lumping an entire group of people into one mold based on one commonality they all share...?

Oh yeah! The Journal of Law Enforcement! One of the things this particular article talks about is how some white people lump all black people into one stereotype.

"Prejudice, Stereotyping, and Discrimination Defined
    Bias comes in many forms, including race, age, gender, and ethnicity and can be universal or location specific (Fiske, 2010). Biased individuals believe the biases they are applying to others are right without regard for the truth (Fiske)."

http://jghcs.info/index.php/l/article/viewFile/62/63

How about some introspection? Every time you point a finger, you've got three more pointing back at you.
    edited November 2016

I took some self-assessments to see what prejudices, if any, I had.

Turns out I have no biases based on skin color. I'm color blind.

Woo! Not racist! I'm so smart. :innocent:

But according to the results, I'm still a raging anti-Semite and Islamophobe. :neutral:

I took one of those as well, and I discovered that I had incredible racial biases against dwarves. I blamed it on their negative charisma modifier, but someone told me I was victim blaming. #HalfElfPower #MakeAthkatlaTallAgain
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Here's the site where I took the implicit bias tests.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

They have a disclaimer now, warning people they might not like the results they get.
    edited November 2016

I took some self-assessments to see what prejudices, if any, I had.

Turns out I have no biases based on skin color. I'm color blind.

Woo! Not racist! I'm so smart. :innocent:

But according to the results, I'm still a raging anti-Semite and Islamophobe. :neutral:

@semiticgod

Where did you do these tests? I would be interested in some self-analysis as well.

Edit: jumpaposted! Thanks!
    edited November 2016
    I took the weapon association test and got back no biases. However, I do think the test was a little misleading in one way. They first ask you to associate weapons with Black Americans and harmless objects with White Americans, THEN they switch the associations. The problem here is that the test itself conditions you one way then forces you to fight your training and switch your associations. I think there might be different results if the first part associated weapons with White Americans and then switched the pairings.

Also, I don't know anyone who would associate cutlasses with black people (though maybe Valygar :) )
  • MrBungleMrBungle Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2016
    I live in the US and am just coming to terms with the disastrous results. Corporate lobbyists are able to pit non college educated voters against college educated voters. We are looking for a way of identity politics. My hope is that we can see each other on the same team. There is no shortcut. It first has to happen within countries and then between them. Talk of open borders in the short run is impractical and blows up the political situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc&t=21s
    I love Jonathan Haidt. He's one of my favorite public intellectuals and The Righteous Mind is a huge influence on me. I read it two summers ago and it really changed the way I observe political discourse, not in the public sphere, but in everyday life.
    So I watched that video. It didn't seem to have much practical use. I was not shocked to hear that conservatives don't like change and liberals are open to change.
This discussion has been closed.