Skip to content

Appreciation for (often) unused spells

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Mush_Mush said:

I think it could be classified as under appreciated if not often unused but point well made it is a little off the rails. Sometimes though what you think is a universally used spell may not actually be so especially if people arn't fully aware of it's potential.

That's certainly the case with invisibility, I think. Nobody ever really speaks ill of it, but the 24 hour duration is really nice, and the 10 foot radius version is nice for those encounters where the party is dropped directly into an unfavorable position to fight without any player input. It gives you all the time you need to reposition and battle the way you want to.
    gorgonzolaDragonspear
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    And much more...
    A nasty mage is casting you a spell? Go invisible before he ends casting and his spell is wasted. He is casting and AoE like ADHW? Go invisible, run away with the boots of speed and the nuke will explode where there is no one. The more I am experimenting with invisibility spells the more I find uses of them.
    Even if I usually play with Tactics mod, where everybody and his brother sees trough invisibility I find it useful also there. Mind flyers (that in that mod see trough invisibility) and hulks? Go invisible, walk away, followed only by the flyers and dispatch them without the annoying hulks. I know that for the hulks there are other tactics, like a cloudkill or death spell, but is just an example of how you can take tactical advantage of the fact that only some of the enemies see trough invisibility.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    You can also form a invisible wall by lining 2 or 3 members in a tight corridor, feel free to fire arrows, cast spells on the blocked enemies, or backstab them, retreat back and repeat since the wall only allows friendly members to go through.
    Or even surround & lock enemies in place with party members, as long as the enemies don't know how to dispel.
    gorgonzolaSkatanGod
    And with and invisibility that lasts 24 hours you can clear a couple of dungeons with 2-3 castings of invisibility. I personally never use that tactic as imo it removes all the challenge, but is perfectly viable.
    Cast Cloudkill or Incendiary Cloud on an enemy that's out of sight, and then have somebody else cast invisibility on you as soon as the cloud is launched, and then you won't draw aggro from the people in the cloud.
    gorgonzolaDragonspear
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426

it removes all the challenge

Yes, but isn't it the same to surround/block enemies with wand of summon or abuse other overpowered items like staff of paralyzation :-)
    Invisible wall is a lot cheaper, it's also a great way to deal with SCS thieves, they'll waste their potions to backstab your summons on the other side of wall, while you can backstab them after they backstab your summons :-)
    Grond0gorgonzola
    I just told that I don't use that tactic, and I never assumed that I use/abuse those overpowered items. I actually use the wand of summons with Tactics mod in early stages of SoA in some situations, like when I go to the temple ruins as first serious quest and I have to deal with 2 liches with their demons that have an attack that cause more than 1000 hp damage and spawn an other demon if you are not quick to kill him, the summon is needed to suck that attack. In that situation I use also invisibility to lure the demon away from the lich, as the demon sees me and the lich don't.
    But I also told that the tactic of blocking enemies with invisible people is viable, and make good use of the fact that some enemies can not see/dispel invisibility can be seen as a wise tactical use of an enemy weakness or an exploiting of the AI limitations depending on player's choices or taste. To don't do so is my choice, but I never assumed that it is wrong. The fact that, at least in vanilla, with that tactic you can clear a couple of dungeons/day without the enemies being able to retaliate remains. If there are mages that can cast TS you can safely disrupt them from behind the invisibility wall, with elemental arrows, MM, MMM or other.
    ThacoBell
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

In that situation I use also invisibility to lure the demon away from the lich, as the demon sees me and the lich don't.

Do liches not see through invisibility in your install?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Liches don't innately see through invisibility by default. However, they commonly cast True Sight to remedy this deficiency.
    @Grond0 probably @Gallowglass is right, and they don't see it, but I am not really sure about it, as in Tactics a lot of enemies see trough invisibility. What I am sure is that the liches have some other helpers, mummies and skeletal warriors, and they don't see me, so I can lure away the demon whitout them following me. Is possible that the lich see me, but instead of following me try to cast something at me and as I flee very fast decides (or better is scripted ) to wait, as he knows that I will come later anyway.
    What is funny in that modded dungeon is that, even if the final boss is somehow more powerful than in vanilla the real problem are the liches and demons, is harder to reach the boss than to fight him :smile:

Liches don't innately see through invisibility by default. However, they commonly cast True Sight to remedy this deficiency.

I'm almost entirely certain that this isn't true. If it was, you could easily best liches using a thief/ranger equipped with the Cloak of Non-Detection, but I've never pulled that off.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I'm almost entirely certain that this isn't true. If it was, you could easily best liches using a thief/ranger equipped with the Cloak of Non-Detection, but I've never pulled that off.
    Agreed. In vanilla using a PfU scroll means they won't react to attacks, but they will just ignore invisibility per se ...
    @Abi_Dalzim, @Grond0 - send an invisible character ahead into a lich's lair. The lich will somehow "sense that someone is there" and start casting True Sight, but he won't attack until the True Sight is cast and he can see you. If he could see right through invisibility (as a demon can), then he could start casting at you straight away (as some demons do), but evidently a lich can't do that.
    ThacoBellinethGod

@Abi_Dalzim, @Grond0 - send an invisible character ahead into a lich's lair. The lich will somehow "sense that someone is there" and start casting True Sight, but he won't attack until the True Sight is cast and he can see you. If he could see right through invisibility (as a demon can), then he could start casting at you straight away (as some demons do), but evidently a lich can't do that.

I have played this game before, you know. It simply doesn't work like that. In point of fact, I decided to test it just now by sending someone invisible into the Elemental Lich's lair. His first spell wasn't True Sight, but Time Stop. When I kept him from casting by retreating upstairs and coming back down, his second attempt was Meteor Swarm. At no point did he bother with True Sight at all, because he didn't need it.

I have played this game before, you know. It simply doesn't work like that. In point of fact, I decided to test it just now by sending someone invisible into the Elemental Lich's lair. His first spell wasn't True Sight, but Time Stop. When I kept him from casting by retreating upstairs and coming back down, his second attempt was Meteor Swarm. At no point did he bother with True Sight at all, because he didn't need it.

And I'm sure you know that you're not the only one who has played before.

I tested it with the Crooked Crane lich, and with an invisible character it was True Sight every time before he did anything else.

Maybe there's a difference between an Elemental Lich and a plain Lich? Or maybe there's some scripting reason for this behaviour?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Do you use SCS?
    ThacoBell said:

Do you use SCS?

Who are you asking? If me, no, I'm playing unmodded.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    My blade bard using chill touch + offensive spin is always fun n_n Idk how effective it is but it's probably the most use you can get out of the chill touch spell since Bard's THAC0 is better than Wizard/Sorcerer and offensive spin gives more attacks.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Whoops that question was for @Abi_Dalzim
    I also play unmodded. Oddly enough, the Crooked Crane lich does seem to not see through invisibility automatically. Still, from my experience, that's an anomaly for them. Maybe @semiticgod or someone can provide more insight from the game data.
    Vallmyr said:

My blade bard using chill touch + offensive spin is always fun n_n Idk how effective it is but it's probably the most use you can get out of the chill touch spell since Bard's THAC0 is better than Wizard/Sorcerer and offensive spin gives more attacks.

Well, the Dark Moon Monk gets that as a SLA for free. For them, it's basically free damage since you attack unarmed already. Plus, the cold damage gets through Stoneskin, which makes the kit one of the best mage killers in the game.
    ThacoBell

I also play unmodded. Oddly enough, the Crooked Crane lich does seem to not see through invisibility automatically. Still, from my experience, that's an anomaly for them. Maybe @semiticgod or someone can provide more insight from the game data.

Ah! So some of them behave as I said, and others behave as you said. So neither of us was talking complete BS!

Indeed it'd be interesting if someone investigated further and explained the difference.
    Oh, I see! Thanks for that, @semiticgod.

So all we can say as a general rule is that Liches don't necessarily see through invisibility innately, but a lot of them can.
    semiticgoddessgorgonzola
    To return this to the spells, it's certainly a valid tactic to use invisibility to split enemy groups between those who see invis and pursue and those who don't. One example where I like to do that is the Master of Thralls, who can be lured away from his air elemental buddies this way. The only difficulty there is to avoid getting paralyzed by his death gaze.
    gorgonzola

So all we can say as a general rule is that Liches don't necessarily see through invisibility innately, but a lot of them can.

And if the lich cast TS probably he does not naturally see you, if he cast AoE spells may be he also does not.

An other wonderful use of the lowest level invisibility spell that I find very rewarding is when I have a couple of mages and a stalker, F/T or FMT. let the backstabber go hidden into the fight, better if is a quite crowded one, like some drow fights. Than when he has performed his regular backstab keep casting on him invisibility, he will get 2 more backstabs/round and probably also some regular attacks. In drow battles this is particularly effective as with their MR a mage has problems to hit them. The use of some summon, even weak ones, is needed, to distract some of the drows and have them present the back to the backstabber, and also care must be put in don't have the backstabber completely surrounded and blocked by the enemies, the positioning of the summons is fundamental, they must attack to gain the attention and then step back a little to give space to the backstabber, also the timing between the mages and the backstabber is very important. I am not able to use this tactic without a lot of pausing and micromanaging.
    Using the invisibility to gain just some backstabs in a less extreme tactic is a lot easier but also effective, I let begin my backstabber, usually a FMT or Valygar, with a backstab, than he kills the weakened enemy with regular hits and then I cast the invisibility and send him to kill the enemy that is giving more problems to my other fighters.

• AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    I don't think Invisibiliy is all that unused. It has a ton of applications. Like this one: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1051.html
    Pointy death incarnate, indeed...
    GallowglassBelgarathMTH
    I did know it and frequently used it with my high level superAerie (shapeshifted into golem with RM to get the maxed roll on the 4d10 attack + 25 Str bonus, while DW IH for 4 apr, 8 with the clone, about 400dmg/round if she doesn't miss).
    I am glad to hear that EE has not nerfed it, but I am not sure that in EE she will be able to have 4 attacks while shapeshifted. I am on my first EE run and Aerie has not the needed level to try.
    NightmareWraith
  • ArchGhostArchGhost Member Posts: 30

After making extensive use of the Wand of Fire on my shadowdancer I have come to greatly appreciate Agonizers Scorcher, cast it on an enemy then run circles around them with boots of the cheetah or haste, a Mage or bard can put it in sequencers for 2/3x damage

Scorcher and Burning Hands fail if put in sequencers. Only the first spell casts.

As for on topic:
    -Blindness: it's a simple save to negate, but if it works it lasts for 10 turns, and works on Neutral (blue ring) targets. Enemies will not even react when attacked from outside melee range (even 2 handed weapons work!) and unless they have Heal in a script (like Dragons) they won't remove it. It also works on almost everything, unlike Fear (which doesn't work on all undead) or Sleep (some undead, anything sufficiently leveled). This spell was a godsend for my solo sorc in BG1 tutu.

-Friends: say what you will about the usefulness of CHA, but in BG2 one cast of this spell with the Ring of Human Influence on means you'll max out your CHA adjustment to prices immediately (it only takes 20 CHA to max CHA adjustment). Spend your first ~10-15k on buying reputation and you buy everything for massive discounts right after doing a couple +rep quests like the Circus or Copper Coronet. I even take this spell on my party based sorcerers, not like there much else good in lvl 1 in party setting with other mages...

-Knock: it's invaluable for parties without a thief or solo sorc/mage/bards.

-Web/Stinking Cloud: I never liked these spells as they aren't party friendly. Playing solo though, you can block them with Minor Globe, and stand in the chaos of your own Skull Traps/Fireballs/Lightnings as well.

-Aganazzar's Scorcher: As discussed it is a great spell disrupter. It can also be used as a cheap AoE spell as it hits everything between it an the target, and burns twice per cast despite the description.

-Glitterdust: I like blind effects and it's one of the few ways to locate an invisible enemy before True Sight on a cleric/mage.

-Strength: This spell is useful when you have a couple party members with crappy STR before you get enough STR items yet are inexplicably melee fighters, like Valygar, Jaheira, or Keldorn (wtf Bioware, seriously, with all these crappy STR melees...).

-Melf's Minute Meteors: I don't know about underused, but I LOVE this spell. It hits through stoneskins for disruption. It allows you to hit monsters requiring high enchantment (Kangaxx the Demi-Lich anybody?), is a source of fire or ranged attack in a pinch, and actually allows your mage to do some damage directly themselves. Just make sure you use it with good DEX and watch out for Spell Turning, as it sends them back!

-Slow: Fantastic debilitation spell for groups, much more success than most (it has an innate -4 penalty to saves) and it devastates physical attackers by making them move slower, reducing their THAC0 and their AC. It even makes spellcasters wait longer between spells! Much better than the various Confusion-type spells for a fire and forget spam move your mages can do to help out the party before Magic Missiling things left anf right.

-Spell Thrust: I would never take this for a sorc, but for a party mage it's nice to have one memorized for the odd Minor Globe or Minor Turning you might see on an enemy mage before you get Secret Word. There's nothing more annoying than watching a mage deflect your MMMs!

-Protection from Fire: Lets you abuse Incendiary Cloud as a solo Sorc if you also take Fireshield:Red, wear a ring, or take Protection from the Elements/Energy.

-Minor Globe: A lot of people take Protection from Magical Energy at lvl 6 to spam Skull Traps instead of this. I like this spell a lot more because it's earlier and protects against a lot more low level spells like Web/Stinking Cloud, Entangle, Fireball, Lightning, AND Skull Trap.

-Fireshield: Blue: less things resist cold than fire, and you can more easily resist 100% fire. Plus it looks cooler!

-Secret Word: This spell is a workhorse for mage on mage combat. It will blow away anything that protects against magic except Spell Trap making them vulnerable to the next Breach you throw to open them up to your warriors, or simply destroy them with your own spells. Not bad for a lvl 4 spell. I keep at least one memorized on every mage in the party.

-Emotion: Remember Sleep in BG1? This spell is his big brother. It has no hit die limit and works on almost anything, including most undead that don't save or resist it. The Sleep effect is awesome because you cannot miss a sleeping target (just like if they were stunned). Unfortunately is has no penalty to saves, which means enemies do so a lot, mostly relegating this to being spammed or used against groups to break them up rather than one tough enemy. On the plus side, Mage AI scripts will cast this spell for you!

-Cone of Cold: It isn't party friendly, but the damage is staggering with good minimum, especially with spell50 mod. For a solo sorc/mage it even eventually outdoes Sunfire.

-Power word: Silence: mostly useful on enemy clerics, who don't have access to vocalize. Note that the Cowled Wizards and most enemy mages DO use vocalize, and it may be scripted, so they can have infinite of them!

-Invisible Stalker: they make good scouts, and mages can't directly target them. Better than Nishruu, at least.

-Death Spell: normally only used against summons, it actually affects some annoying/nasty enemies like Mind Flayers, Umber Hulks, and Trolls. Mind Flayers have magic resistance though.

-Power Word: Stun: just like PW: Silence, except it's actually good for mages too.

-Mass Invisibility: good summon buff. They gain +4 AC and are unable to be directly target by attack magic until it's dispelled. This WON"T protect them from the inevitable Death Spells scripted by harder enemies, so make them burn those up first.

-Incendiary Cloud: If you take measures to become immune to fire, this cloud spell will RIP THROUGH your enemies in a matter of a couple rounds. The damage it does is insane, and you can fight within it to kill off enemy warriors, or cast it on top of spellcasters to constantly disrupt them and kill them quickly. Timing is necessary to cast within the cloud though, as even if you are immune to the damage it does, the hits will interrupt your spells.

-Power Word: Blind: another power word spell. This one is good against anybody though, but best used on any target outside of melee range to simply remove them from the battle for short time.

-Maze: As PW: Blind is good on spellcaster/ranged attackers, Maze is good on your mages to remove dangerous melee enemies long enough to clean up their support, then gang up on them when they come back.

-Summon Fiend: The Glabrezu that this spell summons is actually a better fighter (better STR and AC) than the Pit Fiend you get from Gate and has the same HP/Magic Resisitance. The Pit Fiend is more useful against groups and mages though, as it has fireballs.

-Doom: Combined with Greater Malison on a Cleric/Mage, or in a party, it's a total -6 saves. Bitchin'.

-Shillelagh: counts as a +1 weapon, when you have none (Sewage Golem in Chateau Irenicus comes to mind)

-Slow Poison: invaluable for...removing poisons.

-Entangle: Combined with Web/Stinking Cloud, Slow, and some ranged weaponry, you can devastate dangerous enemy groups at very low levels, like the highwaymen under the Temple sewers (Tarnor's party) or the group in the Guarded Compound also in the Temple district, who have 3 dangerous fighters.

-Charm Person or Mammal: This works on neutral humanoids like Mencar or Captain Derrick's parties, allowing you to turn them against each other and help you win against them immediately out of Chateau Irenicus without much trouble.

-Spiritual Hammer: hits as a +3 weapon, when you have none. Useful for demons such as the one in the Guarded Compound, or Iron Golems!

-Holy Smite: good for damaging masses of undead or Drow. Less useful against single targets if they have MR.

-Rigid Thinking: Nice early counter to enemy spellcasters

-Call Lightning: This spell does epic amounts of damage if you find yourself lucky enough to be outside in a fight.

-Zone of Sweet Air: the perfect counter to those annoying cloud casting traps or enemies like Rakshasha, it immediately nixes the cloud spells, and casts quickly.

-Remove Paralysis: more reliable than Dispel Magic, and it removes all forms of paralysis, stun or hold, which are extremely dangerous since enemies no longer have to roll to hit a held/stunned target!

-Strength of One: Good early summon buff, as criminally few of them have good STR.

-Cloak of Fear: this fear spell actually causes enemies to drop equipped weapons, something most other fear spells don't do very often. I've used it on Koshi before (the Kensai in the Guarded Compound) to make him drop that incredibly dangerous Celestial Fury he uses.

-Call Woodland Beings: summons a nymph that casts hold and confusion spells for you. She can also be used for free casting of Call Lightning and Mass Cure. Mildly useful summon for low levels until your druid reaches Fire Elementals.

-Poison: This spell is good for disrupting mages and the like, if you can get it to hit. Mostly useful for Cleric/Mages who can get access to Spell Trigger and put Doom and couple of these in it after a greater Malison. At high levels the damage is quite impressive, 8d8 +60 (68-124) over the whole one turn duration, and you can stack them.

-Slay Living: An earlier alternative to Finger of Death or Harm, very effective on Fighter/Cleric or Cleric/Ranger multis who can buff their thaco through various spells for killing dragons. Later, when you have access to the HLA Critical Strike, you will never miss and you can lower saves with Doom/Greater Malison to instantly kill pesky things without using up precious lvl 7 priest slots

-Greater Command: it's basically Emotion (Sleep with no hit die limit), but for clerics. Still useful when it works, and so non frontliner clerics (like Viconia) have something useful to do in fights with many enemies.

-Champion's Strength: This spell is useful for buffing another cleric/druid going for a Slay Living/Harm attempt as it adds additional THAC0 while the target can then use Holy Power/DUHM/Righteous Magic to boost their STR and hit even further.

-Magic Resistancee: Probably well known, but SETS enemy MR to its calculated amount, with no save. This can actually greatly lower enemy MR.

-Righteous Magic: Also probably not that underused, but it makes you hit for max damage and boosts STR and HP for 1 round/level...it's like Kai on steroids. Very nice for any warrior/cleric and can even help getting some beefy backstabs on a cleric/thief using something like Staff of the Ram, or Assassination + Improved Haste + Belm and Scarlet Ninja-to with UAI.

-Harm: this a is a well known "kill the tough thing" spell. Lower MR beforehand and use with a warrior/priest with Critical Strike for best effect.

-Bolt of Glory: Demon slaying spell. It ignores MR and does fair damage against Liches too, who aren't immune to it as a lvl 6 spell. Useful for doing damage to any high MR target or those that require very high enchantments, like...ta-da!...most demons. A couple clerics spamming them can put the hurt out there quickly.

-Sol's Searing Orb: Guaranteed to blinds Liches for 6 rounds, maybe 12, if you catch them with it before their protections go up. Hilarious. Does a lot of damage to them too.

-False Dawn: Useful in vampire nests. Not as powerful as Sunray, but it's good disruption for lots of targets at once (Confusion for 1 round, no save, on undead)

-Aerial Servant: Everybody knows how badass druid Fire Elementals are, being immune to mundane (+0) and +1 weapons while dealing fire damage to disrupt mages through stoneskins and generally being immune to fire. This spell lets clerics summon an Air Elemental which is a much better fighter despite only being immune to mundane weapons. The power of the Fire Elementals vary somewhat at random, but the Aeriel Servant always has 23 STR, 128 HP, AC 3, and can have either 0 or -4 THAC0, making them quite beastly for awhile.

-Dolorous Decay: Works on Liches (they are immune to 5th level and lower spells, and so, Insect Plague) if you can manage to get them to fail their save, and hit them before their protections go up/they turn invisible. It will then hit them once a second for 50 seconds, or just over 8 rounds, severely crippling their casting ability. It does the most damage and lasts the longest of the insect spells, but only affects one target, must be targeted (invisible targets must be dispelled first!) and it allows a save to negate the entire effect.

-Fire Storm: Has better minimum and average damage than Meteor Swarm and is available earlier; it eventually out damages in maximum too if you have Spell50 installed (at lvl 25 and beyond).

-Nature's Beauty: Causes PERMANENT blindness with no save, and it can hit enemies immune to lower level spells like Demi-liches (supposedly immune to 8 and below, but this works!). Enemies with scripts to cast Heal (dragons are notable) can remove the effect, but if they don't or you blind them again after they are out of Heals, it's pretty much enemy neutralized, kill it with a bunch of darts if you want. Also has a minor "Wail of the Banshee" save or die AoE, but that rarely works.

-Creeping Doom: Insect Plague that works on Liches, if only for 3 rounds. More than enough to smoke him if he can't cast at all. You don't have to target it either, just like Insect Plague, and a successful save doesn't negate the effect unlike Dolorous Decay.

-Regeneration: This spell is pretty damn useful in ToB for casting on your fighters that can't cast Stoneskins or PFMW themselves. Enemies in ToB laugh at AC and hit very often; this spell will heal 18 HP a round constantly until it wears off, taking a lot of the edge off of that damage you will be taking on your unprotected frontliners.

-Shield of the Archons: Dunno how underused this might be, but it's an awesome spell, a weaker equivalent to Spell Trap that you can get at an earlier character level. It blocks 1 spell level for every 2 levels of your priest, maxing at 10 (20/2) at the unmodded caster level cap, or up to 20 (40/2) with Spell50 installed. This spell protects from all kinds of nastiness for at least 2 hits when maxed, including Demi-Liches spamming Imprisonment.

Whoa, that was a lot of spells, actually. I guess I'm just so used to the simple haste/Breach/kill or Time Stop+ hurl your spell book at them strategies.

semiticgoddess
  • NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
    ArchGhost said:

After making extensive use of the Wand of Fire on my shadowdancer I have come to greatly appreciate Agonizers Scorcher, cast it on an enemy then run circles around them with boots of the cheetah or haste, a Mage or bard can put it in sequencers for 2/3x damage

Scorcher and Burning Hands fail if put in sequencers. Only the first spell casts.

Scorcher doesn't fail I use it in sequencers all the time sometimes at beginning sometimes in middle and it always goes off. There also absolutely huge damage difference when using 3 in the sequencer