Skip to content

Appreciation for (often) unused spells

After making extensive use of the Wand of Fire on my shadowdancer I have come to greatly appreciate Agonizers Scorcher, cast it on an enemy then run circles around them with boots of the cheetah or haste, a Mage or bard can put it in sequencers for 2/3x damage, bards can use it for extra damage on top of weapon hits seeing as it persists for some time or you can just use it as another form of caster disruption.

What other spells and uses do people have for those that are pretty much unused?

Comments

• NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
    I've never really liked chromatic orb is it really that good? Maybe I should make a sorcerer use these spells so that I have no choice but learn how good they are...

As for the reflecting Agonizers Sorcher that sounds really good with a shadow mage, cast Spell turning and simulcram or mislead HiS then run like that.....

Thanks for all the useful info on spells have always over looked.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    CrevsDaak said:

Goodberries can be used to summon squirrels if dropped on certain places in BG1 wilderness (forgot where). This might help you get the Ring of Luck.

Whaaaaa? Summoning squirrels and getting a Ring of Luck?

Also, calling @semiticgod to explain your Scorcher Loop.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397

I've seen it slay SCS+Legacy of Bhaal mode Adalon in a single round.

I would love to see this too. Is the video or pictures up somewhere?
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    black blade of disaster. high maximum damage, level drain and health regen on hit, used as if a grand master. Down side is that it has a very low minimum damage. good for fighter/mages, great for bards.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited November 2016
    @unavailable And perfect for kensage, who can cast it from the spellbook with a little delay from the single class mage, but can couple it with kai. While his simulacrum does the same :wink:

Most of the low levels spells get interesting at high levels if stacked, spammed.
    A single MM, Web, AoE crowd control spell in end game is no effective, spam them and they become battle winners.

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

I love all of the late-tier Divination spells. Even in the earlier tiers, you have spells like Clairvoyance that can really help you plan your movements in an unexplored map and can reveal locations you may not have realized were there otherwise. Then when you get to the later tiers, you get spells like Farsight and Wizard Eye, both of which are great at scouting for enemy ambushes. And then there is the always useful True Sight, which is great for dispelling illusions used by enemy mages.

Divination is pretty much the coolest. :sunglasses:
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    this topic shows me what a boring player I am. I simply unleash the hounds (wand o monster summoning, or sword spiders, or skeletons, or deva, or elementals) apply the needed protections and kill everything. If that doesn't work, I use haste and maybe domination.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I agree death spell is nice. While it's not a spell as such, is there anything more joyous than using greater deathblow at 10 APR to clear a roomful of illithid or beholders in seconds? :smile:
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

@unavailable And perfect for kensage, who can cast it from the spellbook with a little delay from the single class mage, but can couple it with kai. While his simulacrum does the same :wink:

Most of the low levels spells get interesting at high levels if stacked, spammed.
    A single MM, Web, AoE crowd control spell in end game is no effective, spam them and they become battle winners.

Not going to lie, this used to be my main dragon killing tactic. 3 mages with spell sequencers and contingencies loaded with LOTS of Magic Missiles. First cast a Lower Resistance and then watch the red lights cover the screen.
  • Enchanter255Enchanter255 Member Posts: 12

Phantom Blade on a f/m works really good for the undead nasties in bg2

Indeed.
    Phantom Blade is especially good if you use SCS "Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold" component.
    I usually use it to kill undead group(Lich and his friends) and Vampire in Spellhold.

Black Blade of Disaster is really strong and fun.
    FMT can get 10 APR and 200-300 damage per hit by using Black Blade of Disaster, Mislead and Critical Strike.
    You don't need that much damage for usual game, but it's great for Legacy of Bhaal game.
  • HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
    Tresset said:

Magic Resistance cannot be resisted. Cast it on creatures with very high MR to set their MR to whatever the spell gives. Follow it up with Lower Resistance if you need to.

LOVE IT!
    I love finding creative ways to use spells in ways they were obviously not meant to be used. Like using a "protection from magic" scroll on an enemy spellcaster (specifically Szass Tam in my case)
  • HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2016

On the flip side, some low level defensive spells that set AC to a given value may be used to nerf the enemy's defense if it's already very high.

Lovely! But what AC spells are there that are not target:caster?

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2016
    Haran said:

God said:

On the flip side, some low level defensive spells that set AC to a given value may be used to nerf the enemy's defense if it's already very high.

Lovely! But what AC spells are there that are not target:caster?
    Can't remember which off the top of my head, but IIRC at least one of the arcane spells should be touch based, and there might be a suitable cleric/druid spell as well. Though I'm not sure it this isn't an IWD thing, I haven't really played BG2 in a longer while.
    Grond0 said:

Spirit armour.

Oh, right. That's probably it :smirk: