Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 937
    I'd guess that Grond0 is referring to a potion of mirrored eyes, which are part of the vanilla game @Wise_Grimwald
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Grond0 said:

They cleared the upper levels and the roof - where Robin showed off by killing all 3 greater basilisks using a single mirroring potion.

I haven't come across a mirroring potion. Is it from a mod?
    Potion of Mirrored Eyes. It's just that everyone says potion of mirroring or whatever.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2016
    CrevsDaak said:

Grond0 said:

They cleared the upper levels and the roof - where Robin showed off by killing all 3 greater basilisks using a single mirroring potion.

I haven't come across a mirroring potion. Is it from a mod?
    Potion of Mirrored Eyes. It's just that everyone says potion of mirroring or whatever.
    Perhaps most, but not EVERYONE. I was thinking that perhaps there was a potion for mirrored image that I hadn't come across :D I should have been able to work it out from the context though.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    I have just finished a run that was too short to bother posting. However something happened that has happened before and I am wondering why. I speak to Tenya, blind her and fight her, and she asks for my help which I agree to. She then turns hostile. I can of course kill her, but I have a mod installed which allows you to talk to a charmed enemy. I do so and her answer is civil enough, but she won't take the bowl. :( Any suggestions?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Try not blinding her?
    Grond0 said:

Try not blinding her?

I'll see if that makes any difference. The reason that I used that was that my character would probably have been killed by Tenya as my character was quite weak.
  • JabberwockJabberwock Member Posts: 75
    Upon further testing, Sarevok missed Jaheira on a roll of 7 (but hit on 13) when she had -9 base AC, less 2 from PfE, less 7 from belt + full plate = -18 effective AC.

So I could add II via the scroll from Ulgoth's Beard for another -4, less another one from dexterity AC by drinking a focus potion, less another one from a potion of invulnerability.

Then as long as none of that was dispelled, Sarevok would be hitting about 1/3 of his swings. I assume he has APR from base + GM + fighter levels + haste = 4 APR, so he would still be doing about 20-25 damage a round. With very scary spikes on successive lucky hits.

I guess if a mage tanked, they would lose 5 AC from full plate + helm, but would pick up 3 from blur to be able to dodge half of swings. Could show up with a spell book full of stoneskins and mirror images, plus a backpack with some more mirror image scrolls, and could probably tank a good number of rounds.

Dispelling arrows to remove Sarevok's haste + Giant Strength would help a lot, but I remove those with SCS.

Anyhow, yikes.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Jabberwock congratulations! Good luck on Amn! I would have suggested Web/Grease/Entagle spam on Sarebro besides the Dispelling Arrow, but yeah tanking his damage works as well.
    edited November 2016
    @CrevsDaak Thanks!

@Grond0 Huh. Finally a compelling use for the claw of kazgaroth. I do have the SCS enhanced fight enabled though, so I can't 1-1 him until the other enemies are dead.

For BG2, has anyone tried using Jan as a tank? Party-wise for BG2, I'm thinking either:

Kensai
    Jaheira
    Haer'dalis OR Jan
    Viccy
    Aerie
    Imoen OR Edwin

I think I need some sort of arcane fighter, so one solution is to use Haer'dalis. But I've used him before and of course as a bard he doesn't get level 7-9 arcane spells, or mage HLAs. Jan does.

Edwin is just a stronger version of Imoen mage-wise.

I can't do Jan and Imoen, because then Imoen will be level 11 in spellhold. Haer'dalis and Edwin leaves me thief-less, so that doesn't work either.

Compared to Haer'dalis, Jan will have substantially worse hps (about 20 fewer by end of SoA and maybe 40 fewer by end of ToB. He also won't get ** in LS / SS, or Haer'dalis's special resistances.

But he will get level 7-9 spells, and has backstab, and has a full set of thief abilities so Imoen could be replaced by Edwin, who is a much more powerful mage...
    Post edited by Jabberwock on
    Buckshot boys {3} - archers party (5th and final update)
    Previous updates at:

In the dungeon the boys were keen to take everything on. Without missile weapons they weren't well equipped to deal with the ogre mage, but managed to share damage around in order to survive that combat. Elsewhere, stealth attacks and the gradual introduction of missiles made things pretty straight-forward and the boys got to level 8 at some point during the destruction of the mephit portals (Robin making that easy with a rare use of Bhaal horror). Ulvaryl was a potential problem with only one of them having a weapon that could hurt her. However, after the mage stunned her with a chromatic orb sequencer she was easy meat and Robin picked up the XP for the kill by using a firebreath potion.

After restoring the circus I thought the boys could get a flying start by killing Mencar's group, but that didn't go well! The intention was to use a stealth attack to kill the mage before retreating downstairs. However, as soon as they attacked Mencar's dialogue triggered - but didn't freeze the action (I've tended to use mods to prevent that happening in BGT, but this installation doesn't have that tweak). I was admittedly listening to cricket and was slow to react, but even if I had been expecting that I think it would have been hard to survive as Robin was dead within about 3 seconds (I guess Brennan got a quick backstab in though I didn't see it happen) and it wouldn't have been easy to get through all the conversation screens quicker than that.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    Isn't a tank without a helmet = lucky shot kill?
    AdaJ said:

Isn't a tank without a helmet = lucky shot kill?

Depends if you can be bothered to buff regularly with stoneskin ...

I suppose, but if you get mobbed and someone got through the stoneskin, then it is a cringe fest waiting to see if chunks start flying...
    @Jabberwock Congratulations.
    AdaJ said:

I suppose, but if you get mobbed and someone got through the stoneskin, then it is a cringe fest waiting to see if chunks start flying...

But if your role is specifically to tank you can just keep your aura clear. Stoneskin only has a casting time of 1, so is unlikely to be interrupted - though you could put on the AoP or Vecna to make sure of that.
    Mirror Image has a cast time of 1 also, but I interrupt it fairly often. In fact, stopping the enemy mage from getting his off will make the difference between life and death in the early part of BG. Tarnesh was a wimp if I managed to shank him before he gets the damned mirror image off. Otherwise, it is either death by MM or a minute or two of watching my party wander around the FAI after the guards chunked him.
    edited November 2016
    AdaJ said:

Mirror Image has a cast time of 1 also, but I interrupt it fairly often.

Agreed that you can interrupt mirror image fairly easily (though that has a casting time of 2, which makes it significantly easier to interrupt), but you're specifically holding back attacks with the aim of interrupting spells - the AI isn't. If you time the start of your own spells correctly you will very rarely have casting time 1 spells interrupted.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    edited November 2016
    Tarnesh walks up to you, talk and then start casting. My guy shanks him after the conversation or it gets hairy. Holding back would be disastrous. Imoen has no chance with her bow. Same with that dude in the Xvart area, the fella who tries to sell you cursed potions and scrolls. Either hit him fast or you die from more magic missiles than you can shake Khalid at.

The problem when you are mobbed is that there are a number of bad guys around you all with different attack timing and rates. There is an excellent chance of someone hitting you before you even realise your stoneskin dropped, what with all the movement, and if you are using Jan, he is likely to be literally covered in bad guys. And even if you realise it fast, the number of blows means that there is a good chance that someone will interrupt you, especially if they can hit you reliably enough to take down your stoneskins in the first place.
    I agree it depends how closely you monitor the progress of the battle and whether you allow positioning where multiple enemies can attack at once. If you don't want to micro-manage then using PfMW gives an alternative later on, but it would be a while before Jan can use that. As I said though, Jan can also make use of the AoP or Vecna to get the casting time of stoneskin down to 0 - while it is still possible for that to be interrupted it's very unlikely even in the thick of battle.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    OrcThief the half-orc fighter/thief - FINAL Update!

I had thought 44 HP and shield amulet would be enough to take on a two ogre mage ambush - I was wrong. : P An aganazer's scorcher did massive damage.

I was thinking about doing a wild mage party. So will be a gnomish berserker to lead the way, 4 wild mages and a gnomish fighter/thief protagonist (so his saves and HP might be enough to survive the occasional wild mage sunfire). Will get to rolling.
    @Corey_Russell Hard Luck Corey. As has often been said: It runs out. All too frequently in my games.
    edited November 2016
    I came across an image on the web that I thought must be a halfling lass and I rolled for a fighter/thief.

Journal of Sneaky Blueskin

Twice I got caught stealing in Candlekeep.The punishment the first time was a fine of one gold piece. The second time a whipping. The first two assassins were not two dangerous, the third was much more so and I needed a potion of healing to survive. I set off with Gorion who to my dismay was killed in an ambush. I fled and after ariving at the Friendly Arms cleared the area of hobgoblins. I headed north and helped a widow who was being pestered by her undead husband. I agreed to help some fishermen fight a priestess. Tenya, the priestess cast Command and put me out of action for a while.
    However, upon hearing the whole story I agreed to help her, and she has now promised to help me in due course.

Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Is the Imoen XP thing a mod? Or maybe something new in EE v2? I have alway used EE and SCS, and had a run where we spawned her at level 11 with 400k XP. Since then I have taken great pains to show up with average party level 13. But I've also only played EE 1.3.

Which while I'm on the subject, is because my SCS chunk / perma-death resistance doesn't work with EE v2. Anyone else had a similar issue?

--

Also: WOW SCS HARM DOES CRUSHING DAMAGE? That's terrifying. I'm glad I leave it with the default magic damage -> 1hp.