Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited December 2016
    I am wondering if there is any consensus as to what Hobgoblins look like in Baldur's Gate. The cut scene upon entering the bandit camp makes them very similar to half-orcs unlike many other images on the web.
    Is this correct for a hobgoblin or is it supposed to be Tazok who was a half-orc?

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    I tried to find an answer @Wise_Grimwald but apparently specific descriptions aren't really clear. They (hobgoblins) are based on goblins, and goblins are traditionally green. Some sources cite baldur's gate itself as a reference ;) Goblins in Everquest are also green normally (many creatures in EQ similar to their D&D cousins).
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited December 2016
    "'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seems that he anticipated your question and argued that hobgoblins come in all shapes and forms...

Emerson was also obviously a Child of Bhaal.

Combined with the previous realization that William Faulkner was Bhaalspawn ("Murder your darlings!"), it is clear that there is a literary conspiracy that span centuries!

(An Adventurer's Mart discount to those who find the next link in the conspiracy.)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Are gremlins also hobgoblins then?
    Grond0 said:

Ygramul said:

An Adventurer's Mart discount to those who find the next link in the conspiracy.

Well if we want quotes about goblins why look past Terry Pratchett ...
    “Looking out the window, Moist saw a small swarm of goblins leave the train and at first he thought, ha! Trust the buggers to run away, and then he mentally corrected himself: that was storybook thinking and with clearer eyesight and a bit of understanding he realized that the goblins were scrambling up to the delvers on the rocks and beating the shit out of them by diving into the multiple layers of dwarf clothing. The delvers discovered all too rapidly that trying to fight while a busy goblin was in your underwear was very bad for the concentration.”
    This is brilliant, as Pratchett usually is.

Well, I love Pratchett. But I think for it to be a concealed conspiracy the writing has to be at least away from the fantasy genre itself. So, no Tolkien, Pratchett, Martin etc.. (One can argue that the genre acquired all this after the conspiracy....)

(If we admit Pratchett to be a Bhaalchild.... *gasp*... ooh, it's like charname being a Jester.)
    lroumen said:

Are gremlins also hobgoblins then?

... also I want an Igor charname.

.... in fact, an Igor class!

I want to play Igor the Igor.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited December 2016
    Ygramul said:

Well, I love Pratchett. But I think for it to be a concealed conspiracy the writing has to be at least away from the fantasy genre itself. So, no Tolkien, Pratchett, Martin etc.. (One can argue that the genre acquired all this after the conspiracy....)

Well, if you want something a bit older what about the bible - there's plenty about Baal in there? From a no-reload, never give up perspective what about Elijah triumphing against the odds in 1 Kings 18:22 ...
    "Then Elijah said to them, “I am the only one of the Lord’s prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets."
    Ygramul said:

I want to play Igor the Igor.

Sounds like fun - and very handy when you're in need of restoration :).
    edited December 2016
    Grond0 said:

"Then Elijah said to them, “I am the only one of the Lord’s prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets."

Well done, sir. You receive a free Bag of Holding (Jester's) and 10% discount on all Wild Surges for a month!

Question: Is Melissan mentioned by name there?

Ygramul said:

Question: Is Melissan mentioned by name there?

Afraid not - either she's changed her name or, more likely, she's a recent interloper trying to take advantage of the long running conspiracy B).
    edited December 2016

I tried to find an answer @Wise_Grimwald but apparently specific descriptions aren't really clear. They (hobgoblins) are based on goblins, and goblins are traditionally green. Some sources cite baldur's gate itself as a reference ;) Goblins in Everquest are also green normally (many creatures in EQ similar to their D&D cousins).

But goblins in BG and Icewind Dale are yellow, whilst hobgoblins are green. Half-orcs are also green. I am confused. :dizzy:

I suppose that means that I can use any image, and if I say it is a hobgoblin, it is. If I say that same image is a goblin it is that. I was however looking for some clarity, and there ain't none.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998

But goblins in BG and Icewind Dale are yellow, whilst hobgoblins are green. Half-orcs are also green. I am confused. :dizzy:

I suppose that means that I can use any image, and if I say it is a hobgoblin, it is. If I say that same image is a goblin it is that. I was however looking for some clarity, and there ain't none.
    @Wise_Grimwald In my research I discovered the main difference between hobgoblins and goblins is not appearance but BEHAVIOR. Hobgoblins are more short-tempered, war-like than the run of the mill goblins.
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    There are other differences.

Goblins are chaotic in the extreme, Small sized and malicious.

Hobgoblins are militaristic (and therefore tends towards Lawful), Medium sized and can coorperate (i.e., not as malicious).
    Hard luck CrevsDaak. Sounds like you were having a brutal time there :D.
    @CrevsDaak Yes the oil of fiery burning would have been the way to go. That is how I used to fight the hundreds of xvarts at the gnoll stronghold before the bug was corrected. Even if you get badly hurt by it yourself, it is better than being killed by sheer force of numbers.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ooooh. I so love the gnollish and xvartisch hordes, but a bandit horde... that is new to me.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    edited December 2016
    Adamant, Half-Elf Fighter/Mage, BG1EE Update 3
    Previous update found here
    Next update found here

The party did indeed follow through on their plan to loot the Ulcaster ruins, although we left the Wolf of Ulcaster alone for the moment (we could probably have taken him, but better to be certain... which I will be once we can summon 3x Skeleton Warriors to distract the wolf's Ghoul summons). This netted us a fair bit of XP, as well as another Wand of Fire. Lovely.

I also decided to take care of Droth, as the Gift of Peace, with its very useful defensive properties, will serve Adamant all the way until we reach the city proper and retrieve Balduran's Helmet.
    Droth turns out to be quite a bit more dangerous than I expected, mainly because we are still so very low-level. Imoen takes one for the team and is kissed to death, Droth turns up... and Sleeps everyone but Imoen and Branwen! Thankfully, after this titanic effort he has nothing left but a Glitterdust and Magic Missile. In the end, Branwen and Imoen are reduced to running in circles and slowly bringing the Ogre down with a Wand of Magic Missiles. Not pretty, but it worked.

So, what next? Bandit camp? Of course not! We need to make the very most of Imoen while we have her in full thiefy capacity. The choice is obvious: Durlag's Tower!

Before embarking, every precaution is taken: As there is a small, small chance of Basilisk ambush in that area, Adamant purchases 5 scrolls of Stone to Flesh, and keeps a Potion of Mirrored Eyes in his inventory. It will turn out to be unwarranted, but still... sensible precautions.

The party arrives at the Tower, and proceeds to clear the perimeter defenses. Battle Horrors have precisely no immunity to fire, which is good because we really don't have the THAC0 to take them down the traditional way. Our Wands of Fire are put to very good use.

So, the plan is simple: Have Imoen clear all traps in the above-ground levels (while we also clear the easy enemies, i.e. Ghasts). Then we step out onto the balcony and take care of the Basilisks. We've come well-prepared: Every priest spell slot is either Chant, Aid, Bless, CLW or (in Branwen's case) Remove Paralysis, the latter being quite necessary for me to be comfortable with letting Adamant fight paralyzation-inducing monsters in melee. Adamant has spent his grand total of 3 Mage spells on 2x Protection from Petrification and 1x Mirror Image.
    The poor Ghasts are quite outmatched, and land only a single hit throughout the entire tower (and Adamant makes his save against paralyzation).

Despite being low-level and sporting rather an unimpressive off-hand, dual-wielding is already proving effective. Adamant keeps a shield handy for hard-hitting enemies, but regular chaff enemies drop very quickly indeed. So, the Ghasts are handled. Adamant and Khalid recieve our two PfP spells, and are sent out! The first Lesser Basilisk is easily overcome, but I had forgotten how nasty the Greater Basilisks are.
    Even with immunity to their gaze, they swiftly put serious hurt on Adamant, while we simply cannot hit them in return. Our Wands of Fire once again prove absolutely invaluable, as we are reduced to having to scorch the three Greater Basilisks to death.

This massive chunk of XP gets Imoen to level 6, hooray! She now has 100 Find Traps and 85 Open Lock, which is just enough for all our needs. She swiftly duals to Mage, picking Darts as her proficiency, and will now be rather useless for a time.
    On our way out, we take care of the two Battle Horrors on the walls (one of which for some reason has 50% fire resistance and was only worth 2000 experience, not 4000. Eh).

Now begins our great come-back tour, so to speak. All the little things we've left undone (a few of the Nashkel areas, Bassilus, the Larswood druids, the Farm areas north of FAI) are cleared at a swift pace.
    Sendai literally doesn't know what hit her, she drops so fast:

While Bassilus is no doubt quite surprised at getting a Lightning Bolt in the head.

All of this gets Imoen up to L3 Mage, so at least now she can help (a tiny bit) once per rest with a Horror, Web or something like that. As she now has access to L2 Mage spells, our next stop will be High Hedge for some scrolls, and we'll probably pick up a Robe of the Good Archmagi + Full Plate Mail while we're at it (we've got a lot of gold now). Following this, our next target will in all likelihood be the Bandit Camp, which I am quite comfortable with taking on now that we'll have so many castings of Web at our disposal.
    All in good time, though, as the party settles in at the Jovial Juggler.

Our efforts to squeeze as much XP as possible out of the rural areas of the Sword Coast have not been in vain. Adamant is now a L5/L4 Fighter/Mage, and quite the terror with his dual-wielded Longswords.

Post edited by aldain on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Grond0 said:

(Freya did actually know stoneskin, but I rarely bother casting that ...)

Stoneskin bleh, why would you? :wink:

This bit actually gave me the biggest giggle. I hope Freya the 42nd will have a better time dodging Gibberlings, Xvarts etc. I'm interested in doing a LoB run as well, probably with a party though.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    What a way to end a run @Grond0