Skip to content

Beta testers needed for the next release

Comments

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947

If you’re the chosen one your application is selected, we will contact you to get you on an NDA.

Must I sign a new NDA or is the old one the same?

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @thana - good point, but @JuliusBorisov crossed out "chosen one", so maybe that means there is no chosen one in this game... just like IWD2!!!! :wink:

*Begin maniacal laugh*

https://youtu.be/BdvUR67nZs0
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Or maybe it's PST in the IWD2 engine ;)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ooh, only just noticed this call! Okay, form submitted.
  • nemesanemesa Member Posts: 8
    I'm in!^^

I've done testing for SoD, and I was really happy to help Beamdog with one of my favorite franchise. I wish to help again.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    i have applied because i just am interested in anything related to BG, IE and AD&D since BG1 vanilla ...
    if i could provide some input as interface designer, all the better.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Maybe it's Sword Coast Legends:EE!

Seriously though, I'd love a new 5e adventure from Beamdog. Maybe something episodic like the Walking Dead games or Sam & Max.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Rampant speculation.... GO!!!!!

Ok, @JuliusBorisov is asking for "adventurers, warriors, rogues, wizards, druids, clerics, rangers, monks and shamans" - this would seem to point away from PS:T:EE, since The Nameless One starts as a fighter and can only switch to mage or thief.

He also said "next game," which indicates it's not just an update. Besides, would the 2.4 update for BG:EE or 2.x update for IWD:EE need such secrecy about the beta?

So, perhaps IWD2:EE? The thief class was renamed rogue in IWD2, in keeping with 3E rules, and Julius said "rogues". Also, the shaman introduced with SoD already uses sorcerer/bard-like casting mechanic, so it could be easily adapted to IWD2's 3E-based rules.

Seriously?! For the longest time they've been talking in bits and pieces about a new D&D game they're working on that they will announce soon. This beta testing is not for an EE. It's for a brand new D&D game using 5e rules. :smiley:
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2016
    Tablets confirmed, so same IE related, if i'm guessing right.

I'm not sure a tablet would be able to handle anything graphically new, as in games of today for desktops or consoles.

Not really thrilled about this prospect, to be honest >.>
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Signed up for testing on my mac and pc. I would have included my tablet, but it is 4+ years old and I have not touched it in the past 2 years.

I agree with @Mornmagor, since they are including tablets in the beta it is likely an IE game.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    it could be their new Free to Play tablet game. :trollface:
    Oh tablets today can do far more graphically than IE:EE required - not that I'd want so very much change actually.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    great i applied for the desktop linux. If not IWD then what else? ;p
  • ThanaThana Member Posts: 16

Beamdog only hired David Gaider in February of this year, by August he had only hired one narrative designer. It seems a little quick to have a game written, art created, 5e engine coded, VO recorded, and be ready to launch beta testing in a matter of a few months.

I agree that an EE is more likely than a completely new game. With that said, to add to the conversation, I want to say that many of the steps you've mentioned can be started before the writer is hired.

They don't need a story to begin creating the engine or implementing 5e mechanic. Even some of the art could be done without knowing where the story takes place: 1) they can decide which artsyle they think suits the type of atmosphere they're going for 2) they can begin creating assets for common objects (food, common armor/weapons, common animals). (I don't fully remember, but I think this is what Trent did when he began working on NWN? The engine + armor pieces? Someone else can confirm or correct)
    VO also doesn't need to be in the game for beta-testing to begin, it can be added later in development. Especially if the developers are worried they'll change dialogue during development.

There's also the possibility that even without a writer they knew what type of story they wanted to tell and where it takes place (this is a possibility if they had to discuss it before with WOTC, getting their approval, maybe even creating a story that will tie-in with new books for 5th edition).

There's a real possibility they had begun work on the game before David Gaider joined their forces. With that said, I don't know more than anyone else here, and probably know quite a bit less! This is just to offer more possibilities.

My guess is we're getting another EE as they keep transitioning toward a full game. But I'm gonna be very pleasantly surprised if it's something brand spanking new!
    He hired 3.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2016
    deltago said:

Beamdog only hired David Gaider in February of this year, by August he had only hired one narrative designer. It seems a little quick to have a game written, art created, 5e engine coded, VO recorded, and be ready to launch beta testing in a matter of a few months.

He hired 3.
    My mistake, I remembered this post from August where only one had been hired.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/802646/#Comment_802646

deltago said:

So who are these 3 new narrative designers and when can we start tormenting them about information on this new game?

Only one of them has been officially hired and is in the office. As to whether they'll ever officially reveal themselves online for tormenting, that's really up to them. :)
    Still, could a team of four writers deliver an entire game of plot and dialog with enough time for the rest of the team to create visuals, settings, sounds, scripting, etc.. and have the game beta-ready in 4-5 months?
    If direction was already established, yea probably, depending on the length of the game.
    Isn't it the case that @TrentOster has mentioned small, medium and large projects all in the works?

The next patch for the existing products is presumably the small project.

A completely new game would presumably be the large project, and that's surely not going to be ready for testing yet.

That leaves the medium project ... so yep, my best guess is that there's one more EE to come out, using their Enhanced IE. From the wide-ranging characters implied by the call for volunteers, it's not PSTee ... so I reckon they must be having a crack at IWD2ee.
  • MoRidinMoRidin Member Posts: 14
    It would be nice, I'm in
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Isn't it the case that @TrentOster has mentioned small, medium and large projects all in the works?

The next patch for the existing products is presumably the small project.

A completely new game would presumably be the large project, and that's surely not going to be ready for testing yet.

That leaves the medium project ... so yep, my best guess is that there's one more EE to come out, using their Enhanced IE. From the wide-ranging characters implied by the call for volunteers, it's not PSTee ... so I reckon they must be having a crack at IWD2ee.

True enough, though I still think they may be ready to reveal the large project. They didn't issue a public call for beta testers for IwD EE so why now for an EE? Furthermore, if it is an EE, and I myself have said in the past that I believe the medium sized project is an EE, then surely it will be Ps:T EE which keeps all the EEs in 2e and takes advantage of the hype of the release of T:ToN in February 2017. I don't think much should be read into the specific wording used in the call for testers. It's natural to engage in a bit of hyperbole to get potential volunteers energized.
  • ThanaThana Member Posts: 16
    kanisatha said:

They didn't issue a public call for beta testers for IwD EE so why now for an EE?

It might be a result of Dragonspear being buggy at launch. They mentioned they wanted to try harder for a stable launch in the future, asking for more beta testers would be a solution to this problem. Especially since they know how obsessive we can be regarding details - this thread is proof of it.
    Personally, the only reason why I think it might not be IWD2 would be sales. IWD:EE sold fine, but it didn't seem to compare even remotely to BG:EE and BG2:EE. So if they had to pick between making IWD2:EE or PsT:EE... I think they would love to go for PsT:EE instead.

Still, I think many of us would love IWD2:EE regardless.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    It could be anything, really. Bg3 seems highly unlikely, but you never know. Who knows how long they have been working on this project

And personally, I'd go gaga for iwd2.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I have a little technical question. If i would like to add more to my available testing platforms,should i send a new submission, or is there another way?
    IWD2 would actually be great to have ... i tried to play the original again for some completeness of mind, but this is just so a drag technically now with being used to the EEs ...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    lolien said:

I have a little technical question. If i would like to add more to my available testing platforms,should i send a new submission, or is there another way?

It works like one submission per person. If you are contacted about your submission, the details will be decided.
    rede9 said:

If you’re the chosen one your application is selected, we will contact you to get you on an NDA.

Must I sign a new NDA or is the old one the same?

Based on your submission, we will see ourselves, if you need a new NDA.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    I have applied. This had better not be a FPS.
    bleusteel said:

It doesn't say this is for The BG Series. I assume it's for "the other thing" they've been spending their time creating. Still, pretty exciting either way :smiley:

You can't leave it at that! What is the other thing? I MUST KNOW
    raelcari said:

This had better not be a FPS.

Lol! I agree! Fortunately, however, Beamdog seem no more interested in the FPS market than we are, so there's probably little danger of that turning out to be the Big Secret.
This discussion has been closed.