Skip to content

Are you are min stat or max stat player?

I was just wondering are you are minimum or maximum player.

I tend to use minimum stats on my PC

My current play is a dwarf cleric/mage - Heavily Modded game.

Stats
11 / 10 / 19 / 10 / 10 / 16

She won't be a powerhouse but it also makes for a fun play through. Might not have have the max spell casting on cleric / mage spells and PC will be the main healer with feldorn as backup.

OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    very interesting spots where you put your ability score points
    OrlonKronsteen
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It depends on how long I want to spend on it. These days I just CTRL-8 and reduce scores as necessary. I don't have the time to roll stats for an hour anymore.
    OrlonKronsteensarevok57
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited December 2016
    I just leave them as they are when the initial roll comes out - allowing myself to flip any two scores (so I don't end up with a fighter with 10 STR that'll never be able to do anything lol). Sometimes the roll is good, most of the time it's somewhere around 74-75.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    In my mind I just can't imagine a god child with low stats, so my PCs get high scores. I'll have at least two primary stats that are in the 16-18 range, sometimes more depending on the specific character concept. I always play some kind of fighter now, and I generally build my stats around the portrait I choose for my concept: if the portrait is IWDish and has a normally proportioned character, I'm not going to give them 18/93 strength - they'll get a 15 or 16 (with a high dex and decent con). On the other hand if it's a custom portrait of a physically imposing character, yeah, they're going to get an 18 strength, high dex and con. For RP reasons, I usually give my charnames good intelligence scores, though they have no bearing on game-play (other than defense against mind flayers). The charisma score varies, again, on the portrait.

If I'm creating custom team members, which I do more and more now, they get mediocre stats on the whole, though I'll usually give them one pretty decent attribute (e.g. if it's a thief they're going to get a good dex).
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    As much as I love the idea of roleplaying what you roll, RNG is a royal jerk, so I min/max my character creation just to make sure I have a chance. 18 (+/- 1) in all "needed" stats, 10s in the not.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I roll 10 sets of stats outside the game and pick one to play. No adjustments after the roll. If I didn't get high enough stats for a paladin, then I don't play a paladin.
    Toot83Loldruptbone1Bennon
    @JumboWheat01 Are you just the lightning rod of hate for the RNG?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Actually I roll my attributes outside the game , and reroll them should it be below 75 pts
    ThacoBell said:

@JumboWheat01 Are you just the lightning rod of hate for the RNG?

So it would seem. Heck, even in my proper tabletop games, I use the standard array (15,14,13,12,10,8) over the usual 4d6 drop lowest as the highest number I've ever gotten from that is 14.
    ThacoBell
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Max. I figure if Sarevok gets 95 points, so should the PC. Of course, I almost never roll that high, so I'll break out the EEKeeper to get those.
    OrlonKronsteenGallowglass
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I don't go quite so far as @Abi_Dalzim, but the story dictates that our protagonist is meant to be among the stronger Bhaalspawn, and I therefore roll for 90 or so. When I get a 90 or more, I stop rolling ... and if my first 90-or-more is actually more, then lucky me. (Or if it makes no practical difference to the particular class concerned, I may stop as soon as I get 88 or 89.)

Less than that, however, just doesn't feel to me like a proper Bhaalspawn. After all, our li'l sis is one of the weaker Bhaalspawn, and even she has a roll of 87, so our protagonist can't be weaker than that (IMO).

In all cases, however, it's a real roll, never 'keepered or auto-rolled or otherwise cheated in. That just wouldn't feel legit to me.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    I was a min/max player, who raised the appropiate stats to maximum while lowering the useless ones, for example doing that to a fighter - just move the stat points to physical stats. These days though I tend to roll until I get "stylish" stats, usually maxing again physical stats and keeping mental stats at 10, sometimes maxing charisma, because the discount is a must-have B)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited January 2017
    I min max my characters' stats, but I don't always min max them in the most effective way. I have a lot of characters whose dump stat is Constitution. A typical mage character I create has 18 Strength, 3 Dexterity, 3 Constitution, 18 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, and 18 Charisma.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    PentiumD said:

I was just wondering are you are minimum or maximum player.

I tend to use minimum stats on my PC

My current play is a dwarf cleric/mage - Heavily Modded game.

Stats
    11 / 10 / 19 / 10 / 10 / 16

She won't be a powerhouse but it also makes for a fun play through. Might not have have the max spell casting on cleric / mage spells and PC will be the main healer with feldorn as backup.

You are playing as a dwarf, so by default you are power gaming.
    GallowglassAerakarThacoBell
    Grum said:

Maybe they just can't resist the glorious beard.
    GrumAerakarThacoBell
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Grum said:

Maybe they just can't resist the glorious beard.
    The simplest answer is usually the correct one. I see no flaws in your logic.
    SkatanAerakar
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    Considering how punishing AD&D is at low levels, boosting stats is leads to a more satisfying and less aggravating game, particularly since only exceptional stats provide any benefit.

I'm curious what difficulty you're playing on as well -- a Mage with 10 Int on Core or higher is going to have a very hard time learning any new spells.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    Normal mode, i know but it still limited to spell selections.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I am both. I never minimize stats to the point of affecting the RP value I need for the charname, but I don't mind having a CHA of 6 or so for a grumpy dwarf or a WIS of 5 for a CN jester. I tend to play strong charnames though since I usually just try out new builds nowadays rather than RP heavily. Also I agree with that Bhaal spawns should have high stats since all other ones have, as well as, the way the ability stats affects the other stats like AC etc. If a STR score of 14 would actually have had an effect I would have that more often. Nowdays it's either 18+ or 10, never in between (except when I creteated "me" in the game and went with 14).

Gotta ask though, a cleric/mage with 10 in INT and 10 in WIS? :) That is quite original.
    AerakarThacoBell
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2017
    All PC can't be genius i made her normal :smirk: Well only she is hardy and good looking dwarf.
    AerakarSkatan
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    PentiumD said:

Normal mode, i know but it still limited to spell selections.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game in a way you enjoy. It's just really hard to play a Mage with low Intelligence when there's a chance of copy failure.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Objulen said:

It's just really hard to play a Mage with low Intelligence when there's a chance of copy failure.

Well, yes, except ... that's what Potions of Genius are for!
    Objulen

Objulen said:

It's just really hard to play a Mage with low Intelligence when there's a chance of copy failure.

Well, yes, except ... that's what Potions of Genius are for!
    Also, Power Word: Reload!
    Objulen