Skip to content

The Baldur's Gate Wiki - contribute if you have time

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
Heya, everyone!

Since yesterday (or so ... my sleeping rythmn is way off) I have been trying to fill some gaps and correct errors in the Baldur's Gate Wiki. Well, the Wiki at this point has more holes than a swiss cheese and even though I do love me some swiss cheese, there is only so many holes without ... you get my point.

I know that a lot of folks here on the forums have an astoundingly detailed knowledge on all things BG, so it would be really awesome if you could take all that knowledge and put it over into the wiki.
Check for errors in old articles, make new ones, fill red links, expand stubs.
I know we can turn the wiki into a useful resource for the fandom again.

Also, speaking of which, the Icewind Dale Wiki is in an even worse state ...
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
GrammarsaladTroodon80dunbarlolienJuliusBorisovArcaniswubbleThacoBellMoradinsemiticgoddessAerakarSethDavissarevok57FlashburnPapa_LouSjerrieislandkingRik_KirtaniyaStummvonBordwehrSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited January 2017
    I like this idea. I will soon be working on a spell mod that adds IWDEE spells to BGEE. I don't mind updating the IWD wiki as I do this (assuming I can figure out how to update a wiki; I've never done it)
    ButtercheeseTroodon80Rik_Kirtaniya
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Grammarsalad That's what I like to hear :smiley:
    GrammarsaladTroodon80Varwulf
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    If BG wikia were there since 1998, it would have been much better than it is now...
    I occasionally made edits, though mainly just fixing errors than adding content, as I really do not have that much knowledge about this game.
    I do hope people here with more expertise would contribute to that site, making a better BG wikia is like building a data base for all BG lovers which will benefit in a long run.
    ButtercheeseTroodon80
    @islandking It already helps to fix mistakes when they are spotted :)

Speaking of which, I just found this gem:

Figured I'd save it before I fix it >.>
    Troodon80ArcanisCrevsDaak
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2017

@islandking It already helps to fix mistakes when they are spotted :)

Speaking of which, I just found this gem:

Figured I'd save it before I fix it >.>

That sound like it went through googletranslate...

One question though, shouldn't we tryo to merge Baldur's Gate 2 Wiki with the ..other wiki?

EDIT:
    Also, maybe we should make a list of the sites that should get some work, to prevent two people editing hte same list...

ANOTHER EDIT:
    I added the location of the Companions in the base game (I knew everyone from memory x_x)
    But I would like to change something on that site:
    Renaming "Temporary Companions during Obe's Training" into "Temporary Companions" and put it under the table for the EE characters, which I would like to change from "Additional companions from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" to just "Enhanced Edition Characters".
    Also, I would like to merge the tables from the returning characters, since SoD is an AddOn for the EE and thus I find it pointless to difference between basic and EE characters.
    Post edited by Arcanis on
    Buttercheeselolien
    Oh, btw, I don't know if it exists already, but a template for infoboxes for spells and/or high-level abilities would be handy.
    Arcanis
    Well, then I will just make some quick edits (and finish adding locations..)
    Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes x_x

After that I will take a look at the spell-pages. I will take a break in a while (coffee and some work for my studies) and get back to the wiki this evening :D
    Buttercheese
    Ahaha, you are not stepping on my toes, I am glad you are helping :wink:
    Arcanis
    Well, I did the first level of Arcane spells for now and I noticed that the ingame infos are not all really great =P.
    Put some comments in brackit, but the site is a WIP..
    Here is the link
    I leave the basic Magic side as is for now, once I'm done with my current work I will merge the two sites and use them for more general information and not a spell list.
    Buttercheese
    edited January 2017
    I just saw your work on the article, I think it would make more sense to put the spell specific information on the seperate spell pages and instead add a bulletin list and a discription of how arcane magic works, plus an explanation of the different schools of magic on the main page.
    Not sure I understand you correctly..
    I wanted to make a page which had basic information (like what are the spellschools, how does magic work in BG, what are the classes and how do their spells progress) and then add links to the pages where the spell list is.

Baldurs Gates spell-list is so huge that it should never be on the main page imho.
    Also, I think I'm not really good at paraphrasing x_x
    Huh? Then why did you make that spreadsheet with all that in-detail information?

Huh? Then why did you make that spreadsheet with all that in-detail information?

Well, the main infos are level, name, effect. But since adding the rest is no real work (the effect is the msot work) I just added it...

like I said, I don't plan on this being hte main page, this will be the detailed page. The Main page will be either named "Magic" or a rework of the "Spells" page, whatever you think would be better..
    Although.. if you have a better idea than my spell list, do tell (less work only please =P)
    I me by a bit overreaching with my detailed list ^_^

Post your reports on updating the wiki here and get free promotes!

I'm not sure if you are sarcastic or not.. =P
    Buttercheese
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Arcanis said:

Deathly serious. :-)
    ArcanisJuliusBorisov
    edited January 2017

Oh, btw, I don't know if it exists already, but a template for infoboxes for spells and/or high-level abilities would be handy.

I'll put that together. :-)

Edit: There is one already, this is the basic format:

{{Infobox spell
    |name=
    |school=
    |image=
    |level=
    |spellbook=
    |priest sphere=
    |usable by=
    |not usable by=
    |range=
    |duration=
    |casting time=
    |area of effect=
    |saving throw=
    |appears in=
    |spell icon=
    |item value=
    |item code=
    |scroll icon=
    |sold by=
    }}

I'm not sure if anything else is needed.
    ArcanisButtercheeseGrammarsalad
    Troodon80 said:

Arcanis said:

Deathly serious. :-)
    ...I will be working on it more then u_u
    I need a break though.. But I will finish the entire magic department within the next 7 days! =)
    Troodon80

Post your reports on updating the wiki here and get free promotes!

Right on! I was rather busy the past few days, here is a breakdown of what I've got done so far:
    - Added character pages for Corwin, Glint, M'Khiin, Voghiln, Belhifet, Hephernaan and Caelar (though they are all still rather incomplete)
    - Created a page where the different romances and then some are listed (I am rather proud of that one, I must say)
    - Added pages for Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights with lists of cross-game references
    - Effectively more than doubled the content on the voice actor's page
    - Tweaked/ filled up a metric f***ton of older pages (grammar, spelling, links, categories, etc.)

Arcanis said:

I wouldn't worry, pretty sure bengoshi @JuliusBorisov can't doesn't do sarcasm :tongue:
    ...Your enthusiasm is impressive, I'm in awe.. *_*
    ButtercheeselolienTroodon80
    That's an especially good write-up for the comic, little known as it is. :-)
    ButtercheeseArcanis
    I do like me some comics, yes I do.
    Gonna do the IDW comics as well, but those are gonna take a bit longer.
    Damn you two are motivated.. You are making me feel bad for playing BG! >_<
    Btw, I noticed that there seems to be no info where the boosters are located on the wiki (at least not in one place) so I quickly added it - but the name is terrible, sorry x_x
    Buttercheeselolien
    God thanks for the comic, Buttercheese ! Never knew it existed !
    Think of how to link the comic page to to draw more attentions, more people should see it =D
    Buttercheese
    @Flashburn Thanks for the info!

@islandking Thank you, but the credit goes to @Space_hamster, who was so kind to upload a scan to the forums years ago: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/1378/baldurs-gate-original-comic-from-1998
    Before that I had only heard about a comic existing and I had searched everywhere to find it.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Arcanis said:

I think this is a win-win-for-everybody thread, may even worth a stick.
    Buttercheese
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I will probably change one thing. One thing that isn't documented anywhere but I think is very important.

The Bard Song effects.

+1 Luck at 1, +2 Luck at 15, +3 Luck at 20

The Blade Song is just +1 Luck and does not improve. I will edit the wiki for this now.