Skip to content

Any chance on adding a "SoD" like expansion onto IWDEE?

I know there is heart of winter. But after that. Be it to SoD scale or Shadows of Amm or Throne of Bhaal scale. The Northern end of the Sword Coast is ripe with places to adventure,

Silverymoon Luskan Neverwinter Mithral Hall and on and on and on.
mashedtaters[Deleted User]Kurumi[Deleted User]Dev6

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I would like joinable NPCs with dialogue and interactions.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    ineth said:

I doubt it.

As I understand it, Beamdog only overhauled the Baldur's Gate games as a stepping stone for making SoD, and that in turn as a stepping stone towards making their own game.

And the only reason they threw in IWD:EE as a bonus, was because that didn't cost them much. (They based it on the existing IWD-in-BG2 mod, which was still in beta but already mostly working, so they could basically just re-use their BG2:EE code.)

So now they're probably already working on their own game.

And even if they did want to make another Infinity Engine title, a simple cost/benefit analysis would probably lead them to make another BG1/2 expansion, not an IWD one. Someone posted Steam sales statistics in another thread, and the IWD:EE sales were miles below the BG:EE and BG2:EE sales. As an IWD fan I find that unfortunate, of course, but it is what it is.

So if there is to be more IWD content, I think it'll have to come from modders.

Yes but unless I am missing something the BG SoD BG2 story line is exhausted where as the ICWD one is not.....so there is room to work there.
    Ithualfilcat88
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Arius said:

the BG SoD BG2 story line is exhausted

They could always add another optional side-quest in the middle of it, à la Durlag's Tower (Tales of the Sword Coast).

But yeah, I agree with you that IWD has more potential, story-wise.
    It would definitely be great to see a new IWD expansion, I'm just not optimistic about it.
    Ithual
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As much as I would enjoy another Icewind Dale anything, I feel adding joinable npcs would not really fit the series.
    Nimran[Deleted User]IthualKenji
    ineth said:

Arius said:

the BG SoD BG2 story line is exhausted

They could always add another optional side-quest in the middle of it, à la Durlag's Tower (Tales of the Sword Coast).

But yeah, I agree with you that IWD has more potential, story-wise.
    It would definitely be great to see a new IWD expansion, I'm just not optimistic about it.
    Also to you previous point about sales adding an expansion 2nd title so you could play thru IWD HoW and the expansion title would potentially address the sales issues.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I honestly don't even want that.

I honestly don't even want that.

Why? They Did a pretty good job on SoD. Why wouldn't want them to do that kind of Work on an IWD add on and or IWD 1.5?
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 79

I would like joinable NPCs with dialogue and interactions.

The whole idea of IWD was to create your own party, I would love another IWD but definitely not with joinable npcs
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I have no idea if an expansion is in the cards, but I'd buy it if Beamdog released one. Simply offering more optional areas for exploration might help to break up the on-rails feeling some players experience.

As for joinable NPCs I'm neutral on the subject. I'd certainly check them out if they were offered, but I know a number of fans of the original would not want that sort of peanut butter in their Icewind chocolate.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    It won't really happen ever icewind dale has always been the ginger kid of the series.
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    ineth said:

As I understand it, Beamdog only overhauled the Baldur's Gate games as a stepping stone for making SoD, and that in turn as a stepping stone towards making their own game.

Anyone have any idea about what beamdog's intended game is?

Since I have purchased every one of these damn stepping stones, I can really curious to see what the end product is..
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Maybe they can make Sarevok the final enemy.
    DJKajuruSanctifer
    My question is, why?...
    Teo_live
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Better making icewind dale 3 -_-
    ThacoBellDJKajuru
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    The integration of Icewind Dale into Enhanced Edition Trilogy may give it a new lease of life- I wonder if SCS could now affect Icewind Dale creatures.

Better making icewind dale 3 -_-

This.

No more half-baked game editions or game fillers between episodes. Just make a completely new game to add to the series.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    @Teo_live
    By WotC mandate Icewind Dale 3 would need to be 5e. It could be a problem depending on whether or not you like 5e.

I'd rather see Beamdog step away from D&D altogether. They have Gaider on board now, and while I don't exactly like everything he does, the man is good at worldbuilding.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I think Icewind Dale (and its EE variant) already had enough additional content in form of the Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster.

As far as I'm concerned, I see more value in Beamdog bringing us Icewind Dale II Enhanced Edition. Maybe even doing a little extra campaign/add-on/expansion for it as well at some point. Given the possibilities of using monsters from other IE games, like they did for SoD. Not to mention the difficulty hurdle for writing new scenarios would be significally lower than for the Baldur's Gate saga. It being basically a dungeon crawler franchise with not much narration.

After Beamdog theoretically had successfully released IWDII:EE (with or without additional content), talk about a new entry to the franchise could perhaps be started. This way fans of AD&D 2nd edition would have IWD:EE, those who prefer 3rd edition can enjoy their favourite ruleset with IWDII:EE, and Beamdog would have another financial source to bridge the needed time to work out the terms with WotC/Salvatore for bringing the 5e edition into Icewind Dale. Maybe by that time there will be something else than Legacy of the Crystal Shard on the table as well. *crosses tentacles*

Just my two cents.
    Kurumi
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Not an expansion, but some form of sequel, certainly.

Though at this point I would prefer a new series being formed in the vein of BG & IWD, to add on to the Forgotten Realms family (BG, IWD & NWN). Part of the larger setting but new environments and a stand alone story. Also wouldn't mind moving away from the old "european medieval" part of the world (had enough of the Underdark, too), give me some arabian nights or east-asian adventure, for example.

Toril is a large, diverse planet, there is so much to do and see!
    And please loaded with cross-game references, immagine a game set in Kara-Tua and you get to meet a pre-BG version of Yoshimo :B

Just please not Mulhorand or Unther. Those are dumb.
    Troodon80ThacoBellArctodus
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A game set in Ravenloft would be interesting.
    DJKajuru
    Or a game that completely ditches DnD and turns to pathfinder instead. I would love to see this <3
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 79
    Kurona said:

@Teo_live
    By WotC mandate Icewind Dale 3 would need to be 5e. It could be a problem depending on whether or not you like 5e.

I'd rather see Beamdog step away from D&D altogether. They have Gaider on board now, and while I don't exactly like everything he does, the man is good at worldbuilding.

So theres no hope of getting any more 2e games? Thats disapointing
    Miridor
    edited January 2017
    Kurona said:

@Teo_live

There's really no reason to dislike 5E. It's basically a revamped version of 2E. All the stupidity of 4E went away. With the exception of Asmodeus ending the Blood War, but let's not pretend that demons and devils don't fight still. (It's just a "Cold War" now.) I mean, think about it, they don't call them "kits" in 5E, but we basically get kits. In 5E, every class choose what I call an "archetype". (The player handbook uses different terms for all classes, like Warlocks choose whether they get "Pact of the Blade" or "Pact of the Chain" (etc.), while Paladins choose "Oath of Vengeance" or "Oath of Devotion" (etc.).

The good thing, in my mind, about 5E is it's less restrictive than 2E in terms of class-alignments. Paladins can be any lawful (there's even an evil Oath for them, which basically makes them Blackguards). No more "fallen Rangers" silliness. Warlocks can be whatever (they were alignment restricted in 3.X). The choice is completely in the hands of the player and how they want to RP it, in 5E. And that's a wonderful thing!
    AstroBryGuyThacoBellArdul
    edited January 2017
    Biggest pro with 5e is the lack of incentive to cheesy multi/duelclassing unlike in 3.5e and 2e. Munchkining comes at the massive downside of missing out on good class features and level 20 abilities.

Biggest cons with 5e is they hate debuffers? (whos bright idea was it to make debuffs a concentration ability? This just biases the game even more towards overused buff+damage styles). Also imho it is still currently inferior to pathfinders 3.75 due to the low number of "kits" available. Hopefully they add more in the future because 5e has a lot of potential.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

Not an expansion, but some form of sequel, certainly.

Though at this point I would prefer a new series being formed in the vein of BG & IWD, to add on to the Forgotten Realms family (BG, IWD & NWN). Part of the larger setting but new environments and a stand alone story. Also wouldn't mind moving away from the old "european medieval" part of the world (had enough of the Underdark, too), give me some arabian nights or east-asian adventure, for example.

Toril is a large, diverse planet, there is so much to do and see!

It would be nice to get away from the Sword Coast. I think that's why I've been drawn to DDO so much of late, it's just such a different setting.
    ThacoBell said:

A game set in Ravenloft would be interesting.

Also wouldn't mind this. I've heard of it, sort of gothic horror-ish, so I'm quite curious.

ThacoBell
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    Isn´t there like a lots of time between ID 1 and 2? Like a few generations? There´d be time and space fro SoDdish interlude. Concerning that the stories are somewhat linked, and even have some continuum, I´d appreciate the effort, though I´d wish for open world with lots of exploration, like in BG1. Then, if it´d have quests like in BG2 world tour, it´d rock!
    DJKajuru
    Tarlugn said:

Isn´t there like a lots of time between ID 1 and 2? Like a few generations?

Well, IWD1 is set in 1281 DR ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icewind_Dale_(game) ). IWD2 was set in 1310 DR ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icewind_Dale_II ). So, yes.
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    I wish SOD has a TotLM type of expansion as well!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

I wish SOD has a TotLM type of expansion as well!

Judging from totlm's design and release date, it may have been produced as a way to promote IWD2.