Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited January 2017

@semiticgod I've read quite a few of your runs here and you end up with the most fascinating combinations. Reading this thread honestly makes me feel like I don't understand Baldur's Gate at all (or at least am a rank amateur in terms of spell-casting).

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    @Grond0 @Gate70 Congratulations. :)
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited January 2017
    On my computer, a round lasts roughly 6-12 seconds, depending on what's happening.

To be fair, SCS comes with a warning that it can slow things down, but I doubt the creator of that mod ever suspected their program would ever be installed on a computer quite as underpowered and craptacular as mine.

To give you an idea, I'm estimating the install of SCS I did just the other day took about 8 hours, give or take an hour or so. I just let the computer run overnight. It was installing before bed, and still installing after I woke up. I got about 6.5 hours, plus a bit of time waiting on each end when I was awake. Well, not really waiting as in staring at the computer watching lines of dialogue scroll. I was doing other stuff and just letting SCS do it's thing... but ya. 8 hours. IS THAT NORMAL?

Speaking of which...

I re-installed SCS on BG2. YAY! When asked, I told it to install everything. It then prompted me to choose options for 4 or 5 things and then spent the next 8 hours doing it's thing. I previously had a pretty light install, mostly AI improvements, minor encounters, major enemies. No improved vampires, beholders, mind flayers, other enemies etc. etc. It only took 3 hours to install then.

I have no idea what I'm in for, I suspect. I don't even have a clue what's been installed or what SCS has done at this point. It may be a while before I complete a no-reload of BG again.

So... how much trouble is my charname in?
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    About an hour with a few mods on my middling machine. I find that the EEs slow things down a bit on many occasions though- Cloudkills etc. cause bad lag and SoD's big battles were not easily playable.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited January 2017
    Without getting too political, imagine the consequences of your no-reload run gone awry:

Charname dies at the Duke's Palace.
    Sarevok is crowned Duke of Baldur's Gate, promising an end to the iron crisis.
    Selects a Priest of Cryric to head the Nobel Order of the Radiant Heart and an Illithid to run the Flaming First. In the confirmation hearings, the Illithid is argued to be the firm face of change that the difficult times need.
    Declares war on Amn.
    Locks up the Council of Four.
    Seeks Immortan Godhod via blood of thousands of dead.

(I suppose *this* is what it looks like when country fails its saving roll.)
    Post edited by Ygramul on
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2017

Even Invisibility Sphere would have failed due to SR spell deflection spells absorbing area-effect spells.

Don't worry; it won't stop such beneficial spells (Bless, Chant and similar). Globe will; however.
    GL with Ust Natha, can't wait to see it.

Also, about Comet - it's even more deadly than it's description states. There isn't a spell in the game that has a higher chunk chance than this one. I feel that it's projectile is somewhat bugged and sometimes works so that it delivers it's damage *twice*, similar to some dragons' breath attacks (Thaxy being the prime example). Basically, watch your mages. Unbuffed mage is very likely to explode if hit by it. On a good side, a high-enough Deflection (7th level and above) will stop it.
    edited January 2017
    Grond0 said:

Ygramul said:

Seeks Immortan Goodhod via blood of thousands of dead.

I'm not sure if that was an intentional mistake or not, but I rather like the idea of a crazed ruler seeking in vain for Goodhod rather than Godhood >:).
    He didn't write Goodhod, he wrote Godhod. :D Shows that we can all miss-type, me included. :D

EDIT

It looks as if he partially corrected what he wrote between you quoting his post and me reading it.
    edited January 2017
    I have done a search to try and find what spells Edwin has in Dragonspear. Does he have the same as he had upon finishing BG1? Or does he lose them as per Neera? I've done a google search but couldn't find the answer. If anyone knows what is in his spell book in Dragonspear, please let me know.

I have recently realised that I probably made a mistake in having him learn every available spell in BG1. :(
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Congratulations @Enuhal on taking down Irenicus! Keep up the focus!
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998

I have recently realised that I probably made a mistake in having him learn every available spell in BG1. :(

I don't see how that can be a mistake, @Wise_Grimwald - just go into his book and unscribe any spell you will never use for the level of spell you want to learn. Then he can learn a spell that level (if he's at max). You could also just gulp genius potions to allow scribing spells even if max spells for his INT.

edited January 2017

I don't see how that can be a mistake, @Wise_Grimwald - just go into his book and unscribe any spell you will never use for the level of spell you want to learn. Then he can learn a spell that level (if he's at max). You could also just gulp genius potions to allow scribing spells even if max spells for his INT.

The mistake that I meant was that I should have kept the scroll for when we are in Dragonspear and learnt it there, at least the rarer scrolls.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    If you have Edwin in your final save of Bg1, I am guessing he will be in the starting dungeon of SoD with the spellbook he had the end of bg1... Then you did not make a mistake with the scrolls. If he is not with you starting SoD, well then that is different than most other npcs
    (definite exception there is imoen)