Skip to content

Best Weapon Set for Figher/Cleric?

Thinking of going Evil Fighter/Cleric for a playthrough. I just can't bring myself to use Viconia, despite her obvious good scores, when I can Multi-Class a cleric and have a remaining party of Kagain, Shar-Teel (dualed to a thief), Dorn, Edwin, and Baeloth.

I'm still thinking of dual-wielding maces even with The Stupefier post-patch nerfing. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Love the profile picture, you can also get a quick +2 war hammer very early in the game, and it's a good enough weapon to carry you through the end of the 1st game.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrMelicamp
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    Get a sling since ranged weapons are pretty good in BG. In 2.0, you don't even have to mess around in the inventory screen to try and swap between dual-wielding and ranged combat anymore.
    JuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243

Get a sling since ranged weapons are pretty good in BG. In 2.0, you don't even have to mess around in the inventory screen to try and swap between dual-wielding and ranged combat anymore.

Appreciate the suggestion.... Yeah looking to make more of a tank. My mages will have ranged as will my bow users. Cleric will be able to use slings, but going melee primary.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Ashideena, the +2 Warhammer that Basillus carries, might be the strongest cleric-wieldable weapon in BG1. With a Fighter/Cleric, if you wanted to dual-wield... Maybe 2 points in Warhammer, 1 in Sling, 1 in Dual Wield at level 1, a second point in dual wield at level 3 Fighter.

Alternatively, to get dual-wield off the ground quicker, go Ranger/Cleric if you weren't planning on being a Dwarf or Gnome (or Half orc? Can't remember if they can be F/C). The two extra points in Dual wield allows for a spread of something like 2 warhammer, 1 mace, 1 sling allowing for a dual wield of the Stupefier and Ashideena by level 1 with only a -4 penalty to offhand instead of the -2/-6 the F/C would start with.
    Neverused said:

Ashideena, the +2 Warhammer that Basillus carries, might be the strongest cleric-wieldable weapon in BG1. With a Fighter/Cleric, if you wanted to dual-wield... Maybe 2 points in Warhammer, 1 in Sling, 1 in Dual Wield at level 1, a second point in dual wield at level 3 Fighter.

Alternatively, to get dual-wield off the ground quicker, go Ranger/Cleric if you weren't planning on being a Dwarf or Gnome (or Half orc? Can't remember if they can be F/C). The two extra points in Dual wield allows for a spread of something like 2 warhammer, 1 mace, 1 sling allowing for a dual wield of the Stupefier and Ashideena by level 1 with only a -4 penalty to offhand instead of the -2/-6 the F/C would start with.

Cool. Yeah, Warhammer +2 / +1 Electrical does 4-7, so really 5-8 with the electrical bonus. Mace +2 does 4-9. You can pair the Mace +2 with Stupefier and have a +1 Mace that's 3-8 with the 10% stun chance. I think that may work out better.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I vote for staves. You can find magic ones quickly, high damage ones exist in the early and late game, and there are even one handed versions.
    CrevsDaakDJKajuruAerakartbone1
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

I vote for staves. You can find magic ones quickly, high damage ones exist in the early and late game, and there are even one handed versions.

I like staves for the extra damage and speed bonus you can get from having 2 handed weapon prof.
    CrevsDaakAerakarMelicamp
    edited March 2017
    DJKajuru said:

I like staves for the extra damage and speed bonus you can get from having 2 handed weapon prof.
    Good stuff, thanks.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    You could come out of BG1 with 1 pip in slings and still end up with 2 pips in maces, and 3 pips in dual wielding. Maces are great in BG1 with Stupefier and eventually a +2 mace. Then you could start putting pips in flails for BG2.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2017
    One of my favorite OP chars is : Berserker 9 / Cleric , capable of total annihilation of everything and everyone in his path... War Hammers ofc ^_^ dual wield + shield on swap

Ahem, in my humble opinion - he is probably the strongest in the game in general B) not in BG1 :#
    [Deleted User]
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited March 2017
    I tend to roleplay everything a little heavy so usually go with the dieties preferred weapons for his priests if possible. There is a mod (tweaks anthology I believe) now that loosens restrictions on multi class clerics weapons so you can basically get whatever you like(like the old 1st Ed. AD&D rules). I had a nice little gnome cleric thief of Urdlen that liked barbed clubs of pain and daggers. Priests of Talos should get spears, etc.(@artificial_sunlight has a great javelin mod that fits with this idea)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    ThacoBellMelicampAerakar