Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Nioh has been heartily embraced by nearly every major Souls Youtube personality. It's no mystery it's getting good word of mouth, it's Team Ninja taking the Souls formula for a spin. It's the first worthy heir, as Lords of the Fallen simply wasn't good enough.
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 Do you have a ps4 and the game?
    edited February 2017

@jjstraka34 Do you have a ps4 and the game?

PS4, yes. The game, not yet. I was gonna buy it this wknd but decided $60 is a little steep. It's been universally praised and every prominent challenge-run video maker is going nuts with it.
    FinneousPJ
    @jjstraka34 Now that the hype is dying down what I understand is it's a good effort but the level design, equipment design and especially enemy design is very lacking compared to Soulsborne games. Some even say it's fine for one playthrough but not any more.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    So I borrowed the PS3 of my brother with some games (RDR, Last of Us, DEMON SOULS) and started playing the latter.

Funny to see how many things got recycled from DS and re-used in later Souls games, so far all bosses and moves sets felt very familiar. Though I died on the tutorial boss in during the last quarter - healing takes so long... :disappointed:

A few things are unclear to me:

1. no estus, healing only via herbs?
    2. no humanity or ember to restore to "Full" ?
    3. checkpoints (bonfire thingy) are very rare, are those the only means to get back to the Nexus?
    4. HOW do I level up ? :disappointed:
    5. weapons have a strange reach
    FinneousPJ
    @Yamcha I'm not an expert, but I think

1. Yes
    2. IIRC to restore human form you must kill a boss or use a stone of ephemeral eye
    3. Yes
    4. At the Nexus with the Maiden in Black
    5. Wut
    Yamcha
    edited March 2017
    I've been 3 times up and down the Nexus, there was no Maiden, where does she hide?

Haven't found too many weapons yet, and can't use most of them effectively (lvlup needed ! ), but the range is much shorter than I'm beeing used to from the other games.
    FinneousPJ
    @Yamcha I think you have to kill the first story boss before being able to level up
    edited March 2017
    Ah okay, I've just beat him this morning before work, haven't been back to the base yet :grin:
    FinneousPJ
    New screenshots

http://imgur.com/a/A6diD
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    This looks promising. The new DLC, that is.
    FinneousPJ
    I really hope that Giant Judge creature is a boss, but I'm gonna wager that he isn't. I continue to be very intrigued by the woman sleeping with the cracked egg. A mother of dragons perhaps?? I know alot of people are excited about the Abyss Dragon, but to me it just looks like a massive FPS drop lol.
    FinneousPJ
    I still have to beat this game and already the second DLC is coming out. Fun times. :)
    FinneousPJ
    edited March 2017
    I can't understand why Namco and Sony wouldn't want to release remasters of Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls at the very least on the PS4. Most significant games from the PS3 generation have been given a polish job. I mean, if people are buying God of War 3 and the Bioshock Trilogy for PS4, how can anyone conclude, after the success of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, that these wouldn't fly off the shelves for minimal effort?? Hell, you could even really make people go nuts by actually finishing Lost Izalith and adding in the 6th Archstone.

As for The Ringed City, I'm far more interested in the second half that hasn't been shown than the Dreg Heap and the first part. I see alot of recycled enemies, and then there is the Demon Bat bosses. This will end up being the 3rd DLC boss, and all 3 of them have been tag-team ganks, and though this one doesn't appear to legitimately have 3 phases like Sister Freide, it kind of does. I'm actually kind of glad From is moving on from this gameplay, because they have clearly kind of ran out of ideas. It's almost as if their design for them peaked during The Old Hunters. There are good bosses in Dark Souls 3, but they are mostly cinematic set-pieces. Great fights?? The Abyss Watchers stands out, Pontiff Sulyvahn and Aldritch. But there is alot of artificial difficulty being thrown in here. Ornstein and Smough (or nearly ANY boss from the first game) now seems tame in comparison.
    FinneousPJ
    What does "artificial difficulty" mean in an environment where literally everything is decided upon and implemented by human beings?
    FinneousPJ
    Yeah, it would surprise me if there was. Dark Souls games are hard, but they're fair about it. I'd be surprised if DS3 was any different.

I can totally understand other people having a different perspective, esp. if some of the bosses are very hard. Frustration is frustration, after all.
    FinneousPJ
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I've heard some people saying that the later bosses have artificial difficulty in that they have a level of stamina and continuous attacks that the pc cannot match, but it wasn't too bad.
    FinneousPJ
    @jjstraka34 FWIW PS3 emulation is finally becoming viable/playable, so you might consider playing Demon's Souls on the PC in the near future.

Yeah, it would surprise me if there was. Dark Souls games are hard, but they're fair about it. I'd be surprised if DS3 was any different.

I can totally understand other people having a different perspective, esp. if some of the bosses are very hard. Frustration is frustration, after all.

There are enemies like the Pontiff Knights in Irithyll who have seemingly endless stamina for rapid 5-7 hit combos. But again, that's due to the fundamental flaw of Dark Souls 3. The enemies get to play at Bloodborne speed, and you are still stuck at the same speed you've always been.
    BelleSorciere
    @jjstraka34 At 40 END the PC can swing the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword 7 times.
    BelleSorcierejjstraka34Yamcha

@jjstraka34 At 40 END the PC can swing the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword 7 times.

40 endurance would be pretty crazy to attain by the time most people get to the Boreal Valley unless you neglect every other stat.
    Sure, and actually the minimum required END is 31 with the ring of favour. But my point is that it they don't have infinite stamina and the PC can quite reasonably pull off a 7 hit combo as well. Of course, a 5 hit is even easier. No, the player is not stuck at the speed they've always been against a superior eneny. Try going back to DS2 to experience slooooow combat ;)
    Yamcha

Sure, and actually the minimum required END is 31 with the ring of favour. But my point is that it they don't have infinite stamina and the PC can quite reasonably pull off a 7 hit combo as well. Of course, a 5 hit is even easier. No, the player is not stuck at the speed they've always been against a superior eneny. Try going back to DS2 to experience slooooow combat ;)

Only if you don't invest in Adaptability, which I value nearly as much as stamina and endurance in Dark Souls 2. Sure, it was a weird decision to tie invincibility frames while rolling to it, but it's better than having a completely worthless stat like Resistance in Dark Souls 1 and the non-existent poise in 3.
    Even a high level PC in DS2 feels a lot slower than DS3. Just try it.

BTW, patch 1.08 fixed poise although the mechanic is a bit different to make Havel monsters less dominant. In short, poise is only active during attacks.

Even a high level PC in DS2 feels a lot slower than DS3. Just try it.

BTW, patch 1.08 fixed poise although the mechanic is a bit different to make Havel monsters less dominant. In short, poise is only active during attacks.

Oh, excellent. The poise thing was one reason I stopped playing.
    FinneousPJ

but it's better than having a completely worthless stat like Resistance in Dark Souls 1

I skilled resistance on my first DarkSouls1 run :sunglasses:

What a joke, now that I obtained Demon Souls and a PS3, news pop about it being available for PC.
    Am I missing a lot for playing it in Offline mode, or what is/was the state of PvP in demon's souls
    FinneousPJ
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    If you're after the platinum trophy you pretty much have to play offline. I don't know much about the online because of that.