Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Best of luck Grond0! Are these all pure archers (e.g., the archer class with called shot, etc.?) Or do you have fighter or another class fulfilling an archer role?
    CrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    All archers, so they pack a mean punch from range, but if any enemies are able to drag them into melee they're a bit suspect :D.
    Corey_RussellCrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
    But archers get decent stealth - it won't be easy for enemies to force them into melee. Can you put points into two-hand weapon skill to increase melee effective-ness if forced into melee?
    CrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

But archers get decent stealth - it won't be easy for enemies to force them into melee. Can you put points into two-hand weapon skill to increase melee effective-ness if forced into melee?

I agree they're not likely to do much melee - that's been very rare so far, even with limited use of stealth. They will get 2-hand skill eventually, but only after their missile abilities are maximised.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    @Grond0 Sorry to hear that. Get them next time!
    Grond0CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2017
    @Grond0 - I don't know if EE changes this, but in vanilla, if you have someone with cold protection attack Adalon from range, and entire party (including the one attacking) near the entrance, she can't follow you. Might be a slow kill, but far safer (and less potion intensive) than trying to engage her in melee.
    Post edited by Corey_Russell on
    JuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldGrond0CrevsDaak
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    edited March 2017
    Well done guys, Adalon is a hard fight for evil doers... which reminds me that I owe that double crossing bottle blonde some payback

p.s, ime she has no trouble getting up the steps but I'll try a range attack next run
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Would like your opinion on something: I had to reload twice to something that's technically avoidable but almost certainly bugged by some mod or another.

Siding with the Paladins in Alternatives does something incredibly screwy with Maevar's guildhouse: after killing Maevar, after I go back upstairs, Arkenis Gath does his scripted instantaneous kill on Zeru. Since that's only supposed to happen if you join the thieves and then betray/attack them, I'm thinking that I just continue, since I'm 99% sure that this wasn't intended behavior and some contorted script.

It's avoidable by going out the second exit from Maevar's torture room, never returning to the guildhall. Still curious to know just what variable I managed to set off by killing Maevar of all people...
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2017
    ABT-1,

Opening move,

I’m collecting some followers to my group...

· Xzar died to get me into the Fai where J agreed to take over

· Edwin gave me a Half Elf Wild Mage without needing to fight

Fights: an easy spider bash gave me the funds for my buckler.
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
    Neverused said:

Would like your opinion on something: I had to reload twice to something that's technically avoidable but almost certainly bugged by some mod or another.

Siding with the Paladins in Alternatives does something incredibly screwy with Maevar's guildhouse: after killing Maevar, after I go back upstairs, Arkenis Gath does his scripted instantaneous kill on Zeru. Since that's only supposed to happen if you join the thieves and then betray/attack them, I'm thinking that I just continue, since I'm 99% sure that this wasn't intended behavior and some contorted script.

It's avoidable by going out the second exit from Maevar's torture room, never returning to the guildhall. Still curious to know just what variable I managed to set off by killing Maevar of all people...

My understanding is that Maevar is part of Aran Linvail's thieves. You normally aren't allowed to attack Maevar until authorized by Bloodscalp (or Arkanis will attack you). This is vanilla behavior. I think you can also attack if you align yourselves with Bodhi. Attacking under any other circumstance the game considers game-breaking and sends Arkanis after you.
    JuliusBorisovNeverusedCrevsDaakWise_Grimwald

My understanding is that Maevar is part of Aran Linvail's thieves. You normally aren't allowed to attack Maevar until authorized by Bloodscalp (or Arkanis will attack you). This is vanilla behavior. I think you can also attack if you align yourselves with Bodhi. Attacking under any other circumstance the game considers game-breaking and sends Arkanis after you.

Hmm, I've never actually sided NOT with the Shadow Thieves before, so this is completely new to me. Problem was that I COULDN'T go back to Renal Bloodscalp, since starting the new chapter under the paladins turned the entire shadow thief guild hostile, and evacuating Renal in the process. Ugh. The readme for Alternatives doesn't say anything about immediately making the Shadow Thief Guild hostile, so this 100% blindsided me. I'll accept this as a loss akin to scripted wrong-dialogue-choice-leads-to-death in BG1, though.
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    The write-up at G3 for the Paladin Alternatives says this,
    "Also, when embarking on a new venture, it is always advisable to tie up loose ends first. Thieves, especially, or those wishing to get to know Renal Bloodscalp a little better or recruit a certain Red Wizard, would be well advised to complete all thieves' guild tasks prior to going to the Five Flagons in or making any final arrangements with Malficus. The quest givers of both routes will warn you when you are approaching the point of no return."

This suggests that if you wanted to kill Maevar for Renal, you should do so before talking with the paladins and going to the point of no return. However, having said that, your result (Arkanis killing you) still sounds like a bug, because your game is not broken, since you will be using Paladins to get to Brynnlaw. I would call it a bug in Alternatives myself. They may never fix it though, in which case you should be just aware of it for the future.
    Grond0CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    That's actually the one line that made me think it was SAFE. Malficus is a 4th alternative, which they say is basically for characters who don't care and just want to kill both guilds. The paladin line isn't the Malficus line, so when I noted they called out Malficus out on purpose, I thought by omission that the paladin line wouldn't break the thieves immediately. But their first task is legitimately wiping out the thieve's guild.

With this install, though, I noted a possibility for a kit/dual I haven't looked at in awhile. Archer -> Cleric with a bow suddenly works again, since Item Revisions overwrote a ton of the restrictions for dual and multiclasses. Archer 9 -> Cleric? Sounds possible, at least...
    ArctodusCrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    I could see an Elf Archer -> Cleric Multiclass but some spells won't work right with a bow without major recode issues.

The joy of mods is that sometimes things happen in unexpected ways
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I haven't been following the no-reloads since November, but the new thread title drew my attention. Is there a fellow viola player in here nowadays?
    CrevsDaakYgramulussnorway