Skip to content

Best Companions in SoD

I may finally start playing Siege of Dragonspear soon. So, what I wish to know from you is: "Wich are the best written companions in SoD"?

To give you standarts, I love the old characters of BG1 and BG2, but I'm a bit affraid they had distort characters like Edwin or Minsc... Also, I didn't liked the new EE characters, like Neera, Dorn or Rasaad.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Glint, Minsc, and Mkhiin are my personal favorites.
    Aerakar
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Neera, Dorn, & Mkhiin.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I really like M'khiin.
    semiticgoddess
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    of the new npcs: glint and corwin

returning: neera, Minsc, dynahair.

i have not done a run with edwin and vicky yet so no idea how they are in sod.
    Aerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    M'khiin and Baeloth are fun together.

Overall I found the writing to be somewhat dismissive of the original NPC. Not done as well IMO as the NPC project.
    There's a couple of incidences where it makes no sense that Vic/Edwin seem to have nothing much to say. Get the impression they were going for a hard sell on the EE/new NPC.

• kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    I really like the little Goblin.
    Vallmyr[Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    M'khiin is great. Glint and Corwin are also quite good. Glint is hilarious while Corwin's story is serious and interesting. Overall, I think that the writing for the new SoD EE NPCs is better than the writing for the EE NPCs in BGEE and BG2EE. The voice acting of these NPCs is also top notch.

I found Voghlin to be somewhat grating (the German accent is painfully bad, and his 'wine-and-wenches' personality is not nearly as interesting or entertaining as the other new NPCs). But he's a skald, so that's good.

Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, and Viconia seemed consistent with their personalities in BG and BG2. (Don't know about Edwin, Safana, or the other 'classic' NPCs.)

I haven't played SoD with the other 'new' NPCs yet (Baeloth, Neera, Rasaad, and Dorn). I will next time I run through the series (or at least with most of them)...
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2017
    I've used Corwin, Edwin, Baeloth, Safana, Glint, Viconia, Jaheira and Kha-kha-lid and Vohglin. I've tried but not ventured forth long with M'khiin. Never used Minsc or Dyna other than for a certain "quest". Haven't used Dorn, Neera or Rasaad at all.

Corwin is very well written and voiced. She is much less "fantasy" than normal though, so if that's not your bag, then don't use her. I think the romance part was good and the ending leaves a smoergosboard of opportunities for RPing. I can recommend to keep her all the way on at least one playthrough.
    Baeloth is just as great as always. Either you like him or you don't. I personally like him and think his banters are hilarious.
    Safana is well-written and delightfully disturbing. I liked to hate her a lot which is a good grade on how well she was written and voiced. She really got under my nerves! And I mean that as a compliment.
    Glint to me was refreshing in the beginning, but I grew tired of him pretty soon. He's quite one dimensional and compared to Jan who show's a whole other side in his personal quest, I never saw that in Glint. He's one of only two thieves so you don't have much to choose from though.
    Viconia I have never liked, neither in the originals nor so much here. She has some banters with Baeloth IIRC, both being drow and all, but I don't remember so much about her to be frank. Never understood the cult of Viccy that seem to have so many members.
    Jaheira and khalid have an interresting relationship. Since I had planned for romancing Jaheira in a recent playthrough, I kept them both to really set the stage for BG2 beginning. SoD adds new layers to their relationship in a very good way and with some minor quests and I think they should be used on one playthrough. I do think they could have written even more and perhaps even written in a few dialogues where all three, Jaheira, Khalid and Charname, partake where perhaps Jaheira coould express that she likes the courage Charname shows or similar. Would have been interresting out of a RP perspective.
    Voghlin to me is like Baeloth, not really a character but more of a funny easter egg type side-kick. He has some funny and over the top ridiculously cliché comments to ladies which are still funny even thuogh they are crude as hell.
    I loved M'khiins voice acting! I had her only for a few hours though, but dropped her so don't know how she evolves later on. Will use her another time in the future since I really want to see more of her.

Never used Rasaad, Dorn and Neera. The latter you don't even have to have in the team to do her quest I think (though I don't think I ever finished it) so I will never use her since I'm not a fan of that character. Dorn I will use in a future playthrough of course, but that will have to wait for a more evil charname.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarlolien
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    Lilura1 wrote a a page about companions. Myself I like Corwin because spoilers.
    AerakarLilura
    @Skatan M'khiin is great, I heartily recommend her on a least one full playthrough. She has some interesting banters with Corwin too. Rasaad just keeps growing on me to.
    SkatanAerakar
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited April 2017
    Usefulness wise...

Corwin, her ranged dps is second to none.

Dorn, Durlag's Goblet(if you import from BG) FULLY recover him without any drawbacks, Kiel's Hamlet can be given to another for one more full heal-able. Durlag's Goblet has 20 charges, and it re-charges super cheap. Dorn joined a bit late through.

Edwin, his amulet! Skeleton warrior upgradeable, crowd control.

Glint, should be no objections...

Another of your choice:-)

Every companion's quest can be done by switching them in/out temporarily, but almost all of them are missable, so keep a track on them.
    Post edited by islandking on
    Aerakar
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited April 2017
    If you’re concerned about voiced lines like me, here’s a quick rundown.

Jaheira will not have any new voices for some reason, Khalid will have, but he joins a little too late.

Dorn’s voices are not much, many of his lines are just plain tests.

The rest are all plentifully voiced. Neera’s quest is hilariously done, a must hear. Edwin’s voice is as great as BG1, if you can bear his routinely long comment:” Someday, I would like to have a dungeon of my own, filled it with deadly traps and monsters, and lock all my treasure away where none can ever find it. Heh...heh...heh...heh...heh..” Corwin have most voices of all.
    Aerakar
    @islandking They couldn't find Jaheira's voice actress.
    islandkingJuliusBorisovAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Corwin and Baeloth would be the most conventionally powerful characters, but my favorites are M'Khiin, Edwin, Minsc, and Rasaad. They have nice voices, which is a primary consideration for me. M'Khiin in particular feels like a real person and is very endearing.

I like to call her Goblin Grandma.
    ThacoBellislandkingVasculioAerakar
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Baeloth blatantly blasts both evil and good buddies. Crap I am not as good as he is for alliterations
    ThacoBellAerakar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    eight
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Viconia, Corwin, Safana, Edwin, Baeloth
  • moparmanmoparman Member Posts: 46
    There's a lot of content only available if M'khiin is in your party. Otherwise Corwin and Viconia are must haves for me.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Dynaheir is awesome in Siege of Dragonspear, since she's an invoker. Many of the difficult battles in the game come in the form of groups of enemies that are densely packed, making them particularly vulnerable to area of effect spells like Fireball and Web. When cast by Dynaheir, the save against Web is made with a -4 penalty.
    AndreaColomboAerakar
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    Of the returning NPCs, I felt Beamdog did an incredible job with Minsc and Dynaheir, Dynaheir expectially, as she had been extremely lacking in personality in BG one. Although I don't play through the game with a lot of evil characters, I do include Viconia (she's my character's LI in the series and I always eventually manage to change her alignment to true neutral), and her dialog was very well written too.

Of the returning Beamdog NPCs, I liked what Beamdog did with Neera but I found Rasaad kinda thrown in a bit. He didn't have too much interesting to say, though I admit I didn't keep in in my party past Chapter 9.

Of the brand new NPCs, I really liked Corwin and Mkhiln (the latter of which has some interesting interactivity with several obscure locations). They were both very well written. Didn't particularly care for Glint or Vaughlin though.
    semiticgoddessSkatanJuliusBorisov