Skip to content

SI: Evocation/Necromancy doesn't protect you against your own damaging spells.

Some spells are indeed affected, however. It does make you immune to your own webs, but fireballs, incendiary clouds, meteor swarms, skull traps (SI: Necromancy) affect you normally.

I only tested a bunch of spells of those two schools, but I'm guessing it's not supposed to happen.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I noticed that web's secondary type is battleground while fireball's and meteor swarm's secondary type is offensivedamage, I wonder if for some reason that is messing up with SI? I looked into SI's .spl file and it uses the immunity to school .2da, and in theory it should be working properly,, so my only guess is that the secondary types are affecting it somehow, which is odd but that's all I got
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited March 2017
    I don't know about that, unfortunately I know nothing about the game engine/code or whatever it's called.

This only happens with your own spells. And not only the AoE ones. Enemy spells (or cast by party members) correctly fail to affect you, it seems. But, for example, you can cast magic missile at yourself, with SI:Evocation activated, and it will affect you.

In normal circumstances it would be a great spell to cause mayhem around you without being interrupted constantly, but alas, it doesn't work as it should. As far as I know, Globe of Invulnerability is the only spell which protects you consistently against spells, AoE or not.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    interesting, I just tested it for myself, and spell immunity does indeed not protect you from fireball or magic missile ( from your own casting) if set to evocation, I would definitely say that this is some sort of bug
    [Deleted User]
  • Yup. Need to test the other schools, maybe the problem is in all of them. I'll update this if needed.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It's a known and probably unfixable bug, the caster isn't immune to any of his spells, no matter what. I'm not sure if it was if you casted them upon yourself or always tho.
    Skatan
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It's easy enough to fix now.
    Add as first effect to every spell:
    Opcode 318
    Target = Same as effects
    Power = 0
    Parameter1 = 61 (SI_EVOCATION) (or appropriate school)
    Parameter2 = 110 (SPELLSTATE =)
    Resource = (This spell)

A SPELLSTATE was already added for each school and is set by their respective Spell Immunity subspells.

The same can be done for Spell Level Immunity, once you add Spellstates for each level. No more long lists of Area Effect spells needing specific immunity. It's made adding/cloning these spells so much simpler.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • Thanks...

I think I should learn how to mod this game somewhere.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    This sounds like public bug report 24792, I've added a link to this thread to the internal version.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov