Skip to content

IOS version

Seriously..... When is this game coming out for IOS? "Shortly thereafter" was a long time ago. Can you please give me a STRAIGHT answer! I have all your games on my ipad. I am aloyal customer. I want some sort of answer please. Last time I tried to get an answer (several months ago) I was directed to the forums. Gee thanks Beamdog staff, thats extremely un-helpful. Can you give me a soft timeline, a ballpark idea? Im getting really tired of non answers, it makes your company look REALLY bad. Trent..... Anyone..... Please!!!!!
jk1989jkmeagloth

Comments

• jk1989jkjk1989jk Member Posts: 8
    I feel exactly the same waited paitently enough now this is very bad of beamdog waited ages for the release date and horrified to find out its not on ipad ! Wouldnt be to bad if they gave more frequent updates so we know whats happening. Im starting to think its not coming...
    BANKSTER
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    mf2112BANKSTERelminster
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I have an iPhone and own all the infinity engine games on iOS as well. This has been brought up multiple times, but the beamdog staff is keeping silent intentionally in order to avoid failing on a due date that they don't meet.
    AppStore ratings could easily destroy their sales if they put out a release without ironing out all the bugs first. PC users are helping them iron out the bugs.
    The current versions are still playable, even though we don't have SoD yet.
    All I can say is just be patient with the small studio, please.
    BANKSTERlolien
  • BANKSTERBANKSTER Member Posts: 6
    Why would they foolishly say "shortly thereafter"? That's really misleading. If they knew they were going to use pc customers as their beta testers, then they should not have said "shortly thereafter". They should have said as soon as possible, at a later date, at a date to be determined..... They could have said it a lot of different ways. Maybe we are arguing over semantics. They made it seem like it was ready for ALL platforms, like I said, misleading at best.
    _Luke_
  • Cage50Cage50 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 18
    BANKSTER said:

Why would they foolishly say "shortly thereafter"? That's really misleading. If they knew they were going to use pc customers as their beta testers, then they should not have said "shortly thereafter". They should have said as soon as possible, at a later date, at a date to be determined..... They could have said it a lot of different ways. Maybe we are arguing over semantics. They made it seem like it was ready for ALL platforms, like I said, misleading at best.

Totally agree. I'm an android guy myself, but we're in the same boat. Beamdog must not like money if they're keeping us in the dark like this while they think "we'll get to it when we get to it."

They've updated the game twice that I know if since release. They couldn't have spent that time on the tablet releases and THEN work out the bugs across the platforms?
    Both of your guys attitudes is exactly why they haven't given a date. Re-read your own post: they haven't announced a date intentionally, and you are acting like they fell through on delivering on time because of some vague hint you read.
    Less of this kind of nonsense and they probably would announce a general timeframe like they have in the past, but they can't because if they do and the date comes without the update being either immediatelg available or absolutely perfect, then their reputation is tarnished by nitpicking whiners and the abundance of Internet trolls.
    They are a small studio. Baldurs gate is a very old game. The infinity engine is a pain in the neck. These are all very influential variables, especially the mechanics of the engine: adjust one tiny thing and it could have repercussions unforeseen, and completely unrelated and thus impossible to predict, until after it has been user tested.
    Despite these difficulties, they are not going to abandon the game like some of those huge corporate industrial game factory companies, where once they get a certain sale margin all support for the game dissapears.
    Just be patient. It's barely even been a month.
    GreenWarlock
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @mashedtaters actually it's been 2 1/2 months, but otherwise I agree with everything you said. The biggest problem I have is the messaging of the delay/timetable, and sadly, this does not help.

Meanwhile I'm going to assume this patch will follow the precedent of the 1.2 patch, and take 15 months to arrive on my platform; only another 12 months to go, so way too early to get frustrated!
    Thanks for the correction. I only download sod last month anyways.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    It mainly depends on how SoD is delivered. The game can easily exceed the 4 GB limit if they go the GOG/Steam way by packing SoD into a separate DLC. By merging SoD into the main game as done in the Beamdog version it will only require about 3.5 GB (or even less if they're using better texture compression for tilesets).
    @mashedtaters I get that they don't want to set a hard date for risk of failure to meet it, but that's not what we're upset at..or me anyway.

Communication is really all were looking for. Look at the timeline. In the year before SoD release, they hyped it with previews, videos, blogs, twitter updates, ad nauseum. And it was great. Then they released it and...almost nothing. The Beamblog has been silent, no update in their vague "shortly thereafter" footnote in the FAQ, and to my knowledge, Trent Oster has mentioned tablets in all of 2 tweets in 2 and 1/2 months! I don't even have Twitter and I can double his number of tablet posts in the next 10 minutes. You mean to tell me that someone can't post something somewhere to at the very least acknowledge this? And the only thing we HAVE heard are the 2-3 updates to the computer platforms.

When any company hypes something up and then goes silent on it, seemingly in favor of another direction, it makes the consumer feel like they've been forgotten. Which last time I checked, was bad for business. And given how Beamdog has behaved before and since the release, it's hard not to think that.

No one reasonable is going to fault Beamdog for not hitting a ballpark date, so long as they communicate it. All they had to do was say something like "so the general plan is to release SoD for the computer platforms and them work out some of the bugs with a couple updates to it. Once we feel the game is clean enough of bugs, we'll release it on the tablets. We're aiming for about 6 months (or whenever) for everything, but if it takes longer, we'll let you know."

See? I just drafted a tweet or blog post for them. Took 1 min.

Someone please explain to me how communication with your consumers is a bad idea.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    They have communicated very clearly all those things that you have requested. They're here on the forums.
    The only thing missing is a timeframe.

They have communicated very clearly all those things that you have requested. They're here on the forums.
    The only thing missing is a timeframe.

Where have they communicated it? Admittedly, I do not browse every heading or subject in the forums, mostly for fear of spoilers from SoD. I signed up for their newsletter the day I heard of a BG expansion but so far I haven't received anything. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would go a long way to changing my thoughts on this.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Cage50 said:

Where have they communicated it? Admittedly, I do not browse every heading or subject in the forums, mostly for fear of spoilers from SoD. I signed up for their newsletter the day I heard of a BG expansion but so far I haven't received anything. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would go a long way to changing my thoughts on this.

They've stated these things numbers of times on Twitter...
    You can use search engines as well as I can.

Here is a link to the current bugs they are working on. This link is also at the top of this webpage.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51466/upcoming-patch-preview

They have been incredibly transparent on exactly what they are working on. Many of the staff have said many times that they will release the iOS and android versions, but have been very careful to not give any timeframe.

They probably haven't answered this direct thread because they have already answered dozens like it. Here is a link to the most recent one I participated just like this one (although that one was a bit more flaming) here.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/781612/#Comment_781612

@rapsam2003 is right. They have announced it on Twitter as well.

I do not feel the need to prove anything further to you, or to try sway your opinion any more. You will believe what you choose to believe no matter what some no name forumite like me says. But, your questions have been answered: they are not abandoning the game; they will update when they believe that it is as ready as it can be. Don't expect it to be perfect on first release, because this update is a huge engine overhaul; these games were designed for old windows/dos based operating systems, not UNIX and touch screens. Touch screens didn't even exist when the games were designed.
    Daemondevir
    Like I said, I don't have twitter. So anything I see regarding that are reposts others quote. Also, you don't need to prove anything to me. Beamdog does for the things I've already mentioned. Better, less vague communication, that's all. Not seeking perfection in updates, just a better idea of what's going on.

I appreciate the links. I'm an android guy, so until recently, it never occured to me to check iOS updates.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Cage50 said:

Like I said, I don't have twitter. So anything I see regarding that are reposts others quote.

This is a devastating rebuttal to the claim @mashedtaters made about proficiency with search engines.
    mashedtaters
    joluv said:

Cage50 said:

Like I said, I don't have twitter. So anything I see regarding that are reposts others quote.

This is a devastating rebuttal to the claim @mashedtaters made about proficiency with search engines.
    Google "Siege of Dragonspear Android Release" and see what comes up. The majority is old info referencing the original release date back in March. What IS there is info that, when boiled down, can be pretty much summed up as "we're working on it."

Better communication is never a bad thing.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited June 2016
    This is the most recent news about a "release " date...... We have to be patient........
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentOster/status/742188265768247296
    mashedtaters
  • BANKSTERBANKSTER Member Posts: 6
    Has there been ANY progress on this? Are we IOS users ever going to get to play this game? Please, someone give me some shred of info on this. I have been waiting for over a year, still nothing from Trent or anybody about a timeline. We have been very patient, it is getting pretty ridiculous and beyond annoying to be continually checking on something that doesnt sound like it will ever happen.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited March 2017
    BANKSTER said:

Has there been ANY progress on this? Are we IOS users ever going to get to play this game? Please, someone give me some shred of info on this. I have been waiting for over a year, still nothing from Trent or anybody about a timeline. We have been very patient, it is getting pretty ridiculous and beyond annoying to be continually checking on something that doesnt sound like it will ever happen.

Trent and others have stated a number of times that they are working on getting SoD to tablets, it is taking some time because of all kinds of different hassles and they have been hard at work with (what I assume is) PST:EE and will get back to tablet-work/patching work when that project is released. The latest tweet:

And specific about SoD and iOS:

Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    BANKSTER said:

Buy an Intel android device run crossover install steam and buy on there then play. Simples.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Can't wait!

Been playing Vainglory on my phone for awhile now. Once SoD is out? Going to empty absolutely everything I can to make space for it.
    _Luke_StummvonBordwehr
    Just got to say: the wait will killing me all over again:(
    Parys_Luke_PugPugStummvonBordwehr
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Are they working on it now that Ps:T EE is out?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    PugPug said:

Are they working on it now that Ps:T EE is out?

Yes, they said that was the dea. They'd take a bit if time to stretch their legs, as it were, and work on the inevitable bugs for PST:EE that come after any new release, but getting updates to Android and iOS were stated as priorities.
    _Luke_PugPugJuliusBorisov
    Any updates?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @Grum We all expect the iOS version will be ready by September (before the public release of iOS 11.....)