Skip to content

What is the point of pre-ordering?

What will pre-ordering get me? I can't seen to find any info on it. Or is that the point, that there is no point?

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Pre-ordering through Beamdog will give you a forum badge, that is about it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/860963/#Comment_860963
    Kamigoroshi
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    There is no added bonus content or something, other than perhaps a pre-order badge on the forum here.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Yay, a badge. I'll probably hold out for the release and the first patch, then.
    RAM021
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    edited March 2017

Looks like people who own the original on GOG get a -30% discount when pre-ordering PST:EE. But only until April 4, 9 PM UTC. And they won't get a shiny beamdog badge. :)

Go with the "best of both worlds" option. Buy PST:EE on the Beamdog store, then eventually pick it up on GoG! Maybe steam too... oh, and don't forget about iOS!

... I think that's how I would up with so many copies of infinity engine games. Gotta catch 'em all! :tongue:
    Post edited by taclane on
    AstroBryGuylolien
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I'm still waiting to see if I get a pre-order badge for the complimentary copy of PST:EE I received with my SoD CE pre-order. Hopefully they make a decision on that before the pre-order window closes or I might be forced to BUY MOAR!

Adding to @Pibaro 's list, I've also got all of them on both Steam and GOG, in addition to Beamdog. I also have a DVD copy of BG1 that I got by mailing my original CDs to Interplay. I hated all that disc swapping.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Looks like people who own the original on GOG get a -30% discount when pre-ordering PST:EE. But only until April 4, 9 PM UTC. And they won't get a shiny beamdog badge. :)

Ah well, I already pre-ordered through Beamdog. One less Starbucks macchiato this week, I guess. :wink:
    Kamigoroshitaclane
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    bleusteel said:

I'm still waiting to see if I get a pre-order badge for the complimentary copy of PST:EE I received with my SoD CE pre-order.

I'm curious of this myself.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

bleusteel said:

I'm still waiting to see if I get a pre-order badge for the complimentary copy of PST:EE I received with my SoD CE pre-order.

I'm curious of this myself.

Yes, those recieving a complimentary copy of PST:EE for SoD CE pre-orders will get pre-order PST:EE badges.
    ShadowdemonRAM021AndreaColomboTheGreatKhan
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844

Facts.

If you pre-order from Beamdog you support the developer who have brought games you play to modern platforms and try to fix bugs and add features to them. You get a forum badge and an option to ask for the Steam key. You also use our badass new Client and get gratitude from the whole Beamdog team.

If you pre-order on GoG.com while you have an original game you get a discount as mentioned on this site.

Trivia.

Vhailor may consider you act according to justice.

Thank you. That Vhailor reference got me thinking about this strange game I played through once, so, so long ago, literally half a lifetime ago ..... featuring a scarred man without a past (or so I thought) conversing with a philosophical fighter/mage, an errant box with spindly limbs, a sassy skull, a burning man, a hot minx with a tail .... wow, that was a strange game. A perfect game in retrospect but I was perhaps too young to really 'get' it in all its many facets beyond the obvious lure of AD&D. I want all of that back. I am SO buying this. Thank you, @JuliusBorisov and Beamdog.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

I'll take the $6 I saved and buy a frappé.

I can live without the badge. :)
    RAM021
  • fbaggins01fbaggins01 Member Posts: 6
    Didn't think this account still worked, anyway I pre-ordered from BD as a way of saying thanks for doing this. Played the game recently, and modders can only do so much to modernise it.
    Also I don't need to remember the release date.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637

Facts.

If you pre-order from Beamdog you support the developer who have brought games you play to modern platforms and try to fix bugs and add features to them. You get a forum badge and an option to ask for the Steam key. You also use our badass new Client and get gratitude from the whole Beamdog team.

If you pre-order on GoG.com while you have an original game you get a discount as mentioned on this site.

Trivia.

Vhailor may consider you act according to justice.

But what if you also want to support the awesome platform GoG ?

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    taclane said:

I can live without the badge. :)

What?! Oh, right. I guess it's possible that everyone hasn't played through PST before. :tongue:
    Hey now! I've played through PST before and this looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
    taclane
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    taclaneSkatan
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Shandyr said:

Nope, looks totally legit.

100% legit, I promise! It is deep in a dialogue tree somewhere!

<not a spoiler>As you find out later, The Nameless One was only searching for some awesome forum flair.</not a spoiler>
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2017
    Ehh, idk, I don't expected to be messed with when I pre-order from Beamdog. I usually know what type of experience I'm getting, and the media doesn't overblow my expectations.

I actually feel like I'm supporting a company (through a pre-order) than if I'd have pre-ordered through someone like Ubisoft, because Beamdog's a newer company.

Also, I want the forum badge because I have other pre-order badges.
    JuliusBorisov
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    taclane said:

Shandyr said:

Nope, looks totally legit.

100% legit, I promise! It is deep in a dialogue tree somewhere!

<not a spoiler>As you find out later, The Nameless One was only searching for some awesome forum flair.</not a spoiler>
    What can change the nature of a forum profile?
    taclaneJuliusBorisov
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Badges :D
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • FoxterFoxter Member Posts: 20
    There is one “advantage” of pre-ordering a game (in general) that everybody forgot:

You can enjoy all the potential bugs of that game firsthand.

If we use the Baldurs Gate Siege of Dragonspear and an indicator of things to come, I would say that a two years wait before ordering the game would be a good idea (to give time for the developers to solve the bugs).

Considering that Baldurs Gate Siege of Dragonspear still has bugs after a year from the release date I have my doubts about the Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition readiness.

It's a vicious circle, developers release games that are full of bugs, they start to solve the bugs then they have to work on another game delaying the previous game bug solving. Then the new game is released and the story repeats itself.

If you wait for the bugs to be solved before purchasing the game the developers/the publisher will consider that game a failure as it did not reach it selling target. If you preorder the game, most of the time it will be rushed therefore full of bugs.

So the best solution would be a longer time for beta testing before the game is released

I just preordered the game on GOG so some of my money will go to Beamdog developers but I do hope that Beamdog will not make me regret this purchase by making true the old saying:

Fool me once (BG Siege of Dragonspear) shame on you, Fool me twice (BG Siege of Dragonspear and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition) shame on me!