Skip to content

Pre-order hype! Who will your nameless be?

Pre-ordered the moment this went live. It wasn't a big surprise that PS:EE was the secret project but I'm super excited none the less! After just finishing the new Torment Tides of Numenera this comes out at such a great time! (Hardly a coincidence)

So who else is pre-ordering? And what kind of nameless one are you making? I'm leaning towards a brutish playthrough

Comments

• knasknas Member Posts: 50
    Never done a playthrough w/o high INT/CHA. Will I miss out a on a lot of content?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • knasknas Member Posts: 50
    Kenji said:

I think I've played enough Wisdom/Intelligence playthrough that I'd like to be a dumb muscle oaf for once. Str/Dex all the way! Gonna snap 'em necks and bash my way to the Nine Hells!

Matches my own reasoning!
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Every time tries to be evil and chaotic, my nature forbids that.
    INT DEX CHR is what I plans now :p And without vhalor.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @GenderNihilismGirdle I'd put that one in a spoiler tag if I where you >.>
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

@GenderNihilismGirdle I'd put that one in a spoiler tag if I where you >.>

good point, done!
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I love spellcasting but that's what I did the last time I played. The first time I played I kept switching classes for no particularly good reason. Also wrt alignment I seem to consistently skew toward chaotic good.

I don't know what kind of Nameless One I'll play this time.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

It's always been hard for me to imagine The Nameless One as being anything other than a brutish fighter - I mean, come on, just look at the guy!
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I believe a line in the early game is that he looks like he's been painted with a knife.

That doesn't say "brutish fighter" to me. That says "massive amounts of scar tissue."
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2017
    I was confident that i would be the only one here preparing for a melee playthrough. Props to both Knas and Kenji for daring to go against the usual power gaming build (maxing Int,Wis and Cha). I've never played TNO without having maxed Wis and Int, no matter class or alignment. And to be honest, for a change, it would be cool to play through Torment without the being able to do everything! and get ALL the rewards. This time i'm gonna enjoy playing TNO as a Warrior, allocating all my stat points to Str and Con.
    Post edited by karl_maulder on
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    I dunno, I always get a chaotic neutral character when I play this game. Even when I played the new Torment game I got a chaotic neutral desc. for my character.

I don't even play evil, well, too much... Actually I play a nice character.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I get a couple fighter levels in me and then straight Mage, baby.

PST is the only IE game to have unique cutscenes for spells. Makes you feel incredibly powerful.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    This is my favorite game of all the Infinity engine games. My first character will be a knight of the post. People who have played before will know what I mean by that character.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    First time I ever played I became a fighter, or rather stayed as one. But that's because I wasn't even aware there was a choice of a different class. I wasn't scouring the Sigil, I just moved to wherever I wanted to, killed a guy there, turned in a quest here...

Now I can't rest easy until my journal is empty and is unable to be updated anymore. Which means I end up a Warrior lv 6 (usually the experience granted by that point is enough for 6) before becoming a fully fledged mage.
    I've yet to play as a thief. I don't see any benefits whatsoever being one.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Only played it once a long, long time ago and that was a fighter using mainly hammers IIRC, though I seem to recall I used a punching dagger for some time as well. Didn't know what I was doing and this was before online walkthroughs became so common, so I probably missed out on a ton of stuff. So, I'm gonna go cookie-cutter and play the wis/cha/int mage guy. Maybe dual in something just for fun, but we'll see.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    Max Wisdom + Intelligence. Mage asap and all the way afterwards...

No need to be a thief at all IMO. Annah will get that job done.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    One thing I've always wanted to do is
    create Adahn
    so I'm thinking about trying to do a chaotic route. I've also wanted to do this LN thing too for some more interesting interactions with Vhailor, so I'm not sure yet.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    What is the point of Dextery in this game? I recall there was an option to instant kill in dialogue, but not much more.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2017
    @MonoCanalla Dexterity can kill certain faction members at scripted interactions and/or help you save some amount of gold. Scripted interactions like that are few and far between.

It reduces your armor class...that's about it.

@dockaboomski You don't even need to become chaotic in the process. Lies aren't that much chaotic to tell. :)
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    If I buy on Beamdog can I ask for a Steam key?
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364

If I buy on Beamdog can I ask for a Steam key?

Yup! From the FAQ.
    FAQ said:

If I buy on Beamdog.com will I get a Steam key?

Yes. After the release of the game you can contact support@beamdog.com to request a Steam key.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    edited April 2017
    Well, I've played it several times now, and I believe the best way to play is to max out Int and Wis.

The reason is two-fold.

1. Int and Wis provide you with more memories and bonus exp. The memories themselves give more exp, open new options (often ways to win without combat) and sometimes award actual bonuses to your character. The exp causes you to level faster which increases your powers better than raising things like Str or Dex. (Plus, as a bonus, you get to learn more about TNO and his story.)

2. This is AD&D. You don't really get any bonuses unless your Str, Dex and Con are quite high (typically 16+), and the best bonuses for Str and Con are reserved for fighters only. If you play a mage (and who doesn't?) these stats are largely irrelevant and definitely not worth wasting precious Ability points for. There are plenty of ways to increase your AC and HP and besides...you are IMMORTAL. Even if you die, you just come back. So survival is not really important.

Plus, if you play a mage, having a high Int and Wis allows you to breeze through the Zerthimon Circle which can give you several levels worth of xp.

In addition, even if you play a basher, I'd still recommend maxing Int and Wis. Because nothing improves your THACO like gaining levels, and you'll gain them like crazy with high Int and Wis. Again, there are plenty of ways to raise your attack, damage, AC, and HP through items and tattoos. But bonus XP? More memories? Only Int and Wis will do that for ya.

Lastly, I've never been able to commit to a fighter or thief NO because of the lack of armor. For whatever reason they don't provide any defensive perks to being a fighter or thief which hamstrings the class. Meanwhile, since mages don't need and can't use armor anyways, mages seemed to be the favored class of the designers. The spells are amazingly powerful in PST, the items almost all work for mages (so you can get a fantastic AC for a mage) and somehow a mage is even decent in a melee. I've put daggers on my mage and thrown myself into melee countless times and come out the victor...somehow. No spells even needed.

I wish that AD&D had worked the way they tweaked it in PST. Back when that was the PnP mainstay, I adopted many of the same rules for my games. Players loved it. I mean it makes more sense to make a fighter who is decently intelligent if it earns him more exp, right? In regular AD&D, there is absolutely no reason to give a fighter intelligence. Just an observation.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    I did a dex\str thief playthrough throughout the beta and I can tell you this:

Sometimes you will miss dialog options which could make your life a lot easier. BUT even if my Nameless One had baseline wisdom and charisma scores, there was never a critical point in the game in which an objectively "wise" answer was not available. It's probably impossible to create a completely dumb NO.

Not to mention that unlike BG or IWD, in PST hide in shadows is extremely powerful for you can easily activate it by running out of the enemies' site. And I haven't seen an enemy able to run faster than you. There is a certain joy in killing some of the most fearsome creatures in the planes backstabbing them 5 times in a row, sometimes for over 100 hit point damage.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I believe a line in the early game is that he looks like he's been painted with a knife.

That doesn't say "brutish fighter" to me. That says "massive amounts of scar tissue."

I was thinking more of his chiseled, muscular physique.

No mage should have this much muscle tone!