Skip to content

GOG vs BEAMDOG client

If I order off GOG will I still be able to get the badges/achievements on the forum? (it is cheaper for me on GOG as I have the Vanilla game)

Comments

• darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    No ,
    You don't

Pre-Order from Beamdog and request Steam Key

You and get both of forum badges and steam achievements
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    There, I did it. Happy now? somebody save a bearclaw for me. But on a serous note how do I request the steam key?
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    From the FAQ.
    FAQ said:

If I buy on Beamdog.com will I get a Steam key?

Yes. After the release of the game you can contact support@beamdog.com to request a Steam key.

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Buy the cheapest one, use savings on beer.
    edited April 2017
    Wesboi said:

Buy the cheapest one, use savings on beer.

Let your conscience be your guide – but know that your actions may never escape Vhailor's judgement. :tongue:
    Post edited by taclane on
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Huh. Maybe I'll buy from Beamdog too. Maybe. I mean for the sake of donuts. We'll see.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It maybe too late but another difference is going to be dled speed on release.

If past releases are of any indication, GoG and Steam users will probably be able to download their games faster than if you buy directly through Beamdog. GoG and Steam have the resources to handle the multiple downloads, Beamdog not so much.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I used to buy the games directly from Beamdog, but now when I try to buy something from them, they insist that I also give them a bunch of personal info (address, phone #, etc.), so I'll buy from GOG from now on.
    edited April 2017
    Many places I buy from ask for address and phone number.

Right now GOG is annoying me because bits of it black out for no reason.

To be fair I already preordered through GOG, so I'm not trying to be negative about them.
  • ccunning1ccunning1 Member Posts: 18
    taclane said:

The Beamdog version is also DRM-free like the GoG version, if that is of importance to you.

Even though it may be a little more expensive to pre-order through Beamdog, you'll get a spiffy forum badge, and the extra few bucks directly help the development of further games.

Beamdog pre-orders help boost morale. Keeping the break room well-stocked with donuts is also a fairly noble cause. :wink:

I wish I would have known that earlier, I would have preorder at beamdog instead of GoG.
    ccunning1 said:

taclane said:

The Beamdog version is also DRM-free like the GoG version, if that is of importance to you.

Even though it may be a little more expensive to pre-order through Beamdog, you'll get a spiffy forum badge, and the extra few bucks directly help the development of further games.

Beamdog pre-orders help boost morale. Keeping the break room well-stocked with donuts is also a fairly noble cause. :wink:

I wish I would have known that earlier, I would have preorder at beamdog instead of GoG.
    [Zoidberg]Why not both?[/Zoidberg]
    Seriously, though, I think you can get a refund from GOG.

Seriously, though, I think you can get a refund from GOG.

Yup! Still a few days left to decide who to order the game from.

GOG FAQ #11
    GOG said:

11. WHAT ABOUT PRE-ORDERS?

You can cancel pre-orders at any time before the game's release, and get the money back.

• BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    Wow I did not know that the developers get less money from buying elsewhere, nor did I know the Beamdog version was DRM free and has a steam key. All I remember is from back when BGEE was released everyone was saying Beamdog was DRM and so I never looked back.

Already pre-ordered through GOG.com. :(
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I seem to recall, back in the day of BGEE release, that the BGEE launcher did a phone home with your Beamdog credentials to verify the purchase. But, just like Steam BGEE, there is no DRM if you skip the launcher and invoke the BGEE executable directly.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    When run for the first time, the Beamdog Client will ask for the email and password associated with your Beamdog account. Optionally, you can choose to allow the Beamdog Client to remember your sign-in information. No additional information (phone number, etc) is required by the Client and after the initial online setup, the Beamdog Client does not require an online connection.
    Baptor said:

Wow I did not know that the developers get less money from buying elsewhere, nor did I know the Beamdog version was DRM free and has a steam key.

Digital distributors take a percentage of the overall sale. Apple's cut from the App Store is 30%, and both GOG and Steam are rumored to be in that neighborhood (you aren't supposed to discuss whatever revenue arrangements you have with them). Even if it costs Beamdog something to run their own distribution service, they'd be able to keep the full 100% of the purchase price.

On something like PST:EE, buying it directly from the Beamdog store probably nets the company another $5 or so after you take into account processing fees and download servers.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

When run for the first time, the Beamdog Client will ask for the email and password associated with your Beamdog account. Optionally, you can choose to allow the Beamdog Client to remember your sign-in information. No additional information (phone number, etc) is required by the Client and after the initial online setup, the Beamdog Client does not require an online connection.

Are you saying that we should be able to Launch the game through the Client in offline mode, because I had just assumed offline play required going through the executable out of habit:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    kjeron said:

Are you saying that we should be able to Launch the game through the Client in offline mode, because I had just assumed offline play required going through the executable out of habit:
    Thank you. This is a bug and we'll look at getting this fixed for the next release. In the meantime, you can try to verify the game and let it restoreitself to a clean state, then reapply whatever mods you have, - that would fix things. Or you can continue running the .exe directly for now.