Skip to content

Charming Tazok and his Confusing Banter (Spoiler)

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
I always found Tazok's dialogue after a charm person, equal parts interesting and confusing. He has a very low save vs. spell, but its easy enough to get him to fail his breath weapon save via Algernon's Cloak. Once the charm takes, talk to him and he relays the following:

"I'm a member of the Blacktalons. All I know is that we've been hired by the Zhentarim to attack the iron shipments coming along the Coast Way road."

This doesn't seem to jive with the story line and what we know of Tazok and the bandits plaguing the Sword Coast. The plot to disrupt the iron trade along the Coast Way is the Iron Throne's scheme -- not the Zhentarim's. In fact, the Zhents are investigating what is going on, same as everyone else (hence Xzar and Montaron's mission). While they are certainly also an evil organization, their main goal is to counter the Iron Throne's influence in the region. Tazok works for Davaeorn, who is also employed by the Iron Throne and is not a Zhent.

Seems to be an oversight with this dialogue. Perhaps in early drafts, the Zhentarim were considered the antagonist instead of the Iron Throne (which was obviously created for the game). It might even be worth replacing the word "Zhentarim" with "Iron Throne" to make the statement accurate, but I don't know if Beamdog has the rights to make such dialogue changes.

Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Gallenger said:

It's also possible that Tazok has been lied to and he believes it's the Zhents he's working for - and thus the source of the rumors that the zhents are responsible, was started by the Iron Throne itself.

Interesting theory, but I'm not so sure that telling someone who works for you that they work for someone else, would be practical, especially since Zhent agents are all over. Such a fabrication would likely quickly fall apart and draw the ire of some pretty nasty people.
  • Wait, wait. When do you get a chance to charm Tazok and talk to him?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    After reading my most recent post again (lol), I guess it doesn't actually imply that Nimbul *knows* this is the Iron Throne. Still, the Zhents being framed is something I can't believe I've missed. You always pick up something new I guess. Seems a risky practice to get the good *and* evil organizations up in arms against you.

Wait, wait. When do you get a chance to charm Tazok and talk to him?

I was able to do it with Algernon's cloak, after Teven (or I guess Raiken if you went that route) takes you to the bandit camp, but *before* he talks to you the first time. His saves are ridiculous though - not sure if they change, but I couldn't do it after he talked to me. I'll edit the OP with a screenshot.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2017
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I think @HaHaCharade has the right of it being an oversight.

But how can you blame the developers?
    Only an utter maniac with a death wish would attempt to charm Tazok.
    Has Kivan taught you nothing???

(RP people, RP) ;)

I think @HaHaCharade has the right of it being an oversight.

But how can you blame the developers?
    Only an utter maniac with a death wish would attempt to charm Tazok.
    Has Kivan taught you nothing???

(RP people, RP) ;)

Actually I'm not so sure now. After more testing, if you talk further on in the camp to the bandit guards, they too speak of working for the Zhentarim.

You even get a journal entry that says:

"I've heard rumors that Tazok gets his orders from the Zhentarim. Of this I am not too sure."

I would just think that Tazok would know the truth, and relay the truth if charmed. But apparently he's pretty dumb... which doesn't surprise me I guess, lol.
    edited April 2017
    Funny you should mention that. Just did - Here is what he says.

Given this, I think Tazok should really tell you the truth upon charm. Kind of silly. Oh well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2017
    Shandyr said:

Ender Sai implies that Ardenor Crush and Taurgosz Khosann (wow there is even a spelling mistake in my video above missing the "r" in Taurgosz. Maybe that is still a typo in the enhanced edition, wanna check?)
    think Tazok is getting orders from the Zhents.

And Ender Sai implies that actually Tazok knows where the orders actually come from.

However, the charmed talks of Taurgosz and Tazok imply the opposite, namely that Tazok doesn't know while Taurgosz does know who they are actually working for.

I agree. ... and I confirmed that the typo is fixed in the EE :smile:
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    edited April 2017
    Shandyr said:

Taurgosz Khosann (wow there is even a spelling mistake in my video above missing the "r" in Taurgosz. Maybe that is still a typo in the enhanced edition, wanna check?)

The error came from vanilla BG.

I still find it hard writing his correct name now I'm mainly playing the EE - after so many years of doing no-reload reports saying "Taugosz" putting the extra r in just doesn't feel right :/.
    Shandyr said:

Well then let's first try to find plausible explanations within the game.

Ender Sai may be wrong. He may be under the wrong impression that Tazok does know what's going on but Taurgosz does not.

In that case I think he may argue like you would @HaHaCharade . He thinks simply because Tazok is the chief and higher up in command he should know it and Taurgosz should not.

But the charm spells would show that to be false. So we can also conclude that Ender Sai did not try to put a charm spell on them or he would have known. He simply makes a wrong guess based on the chain of commands.

Another ingame explanation could be that the charm spells don't work exactly like we think they do.

"If the spell's recipient fails his Saving Throw (with a +3 modifier), he regards the caster as a trusted friend and ally to be heeded and protected. The caster may give him orders, and the charmed individual will carry them out as quickly as possible."

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Charm_Person

So what if Tazok knows the truth but he would not even tell it to his closest allies and friends?

Also note, you did never ask him directly to tell you the truth, did you? Tazok told you what he wanted a close ally to think. And that simply means that he would not even share this information with a close ally.

Makes sense.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    From this post and @Harpagornis current bounty hunter solo run in another thread, I have become aware as never before of the power of the charm cloaks. I have never really used them before. They are crazy OP it would seem, but in a non-obvious way.
    Aerakar said:

From this post and @Harpagornis current bounty hunter solo run in another thread, I have become aware as never before of the power of the charm cloaks. I have never really used them before. They are crazy OP it would seem, but in a non-obvious way.

The one charge a day limit in EE helps limit their OPness. Its the same as resting with a Dire Charm really. Magic Resistance still blocks the Breath Weapon mechanic apparently in most cases.
  • St. AndrewSt. Andrew Member Posts: 86
    Wait doesn't Rieltar or Sarevok hire Nimbul directly? Or does he have a different author on his assassin note. I remember seeing Rieltar signing off on most of those bounty/assassination request letters.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    'I know that I know nothing' - Socrates.

Wait doesn't Rieltar or Sarevok hire Nimbul directly? Or does he have a different author on his assassin note. I remember seeing Rieltar signing off on most of those bounty/assassination request letters.

I believe Davaeorn signs off on the letter which mentions Nimbul, to Tazok.

In truth, nobody knows who anyone works for. Its a terribly managed organization. :lol:
  • St. AndrewSt. Andrew Member Posts: 86
    I mean i think it's managed pretty well. It's similar to how dummy corporations work.