Skip to content

Torment preload not completing

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
This discussion was created from comments split from: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition released!.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Unfortunately the beamdog client seems unable to obtain the 827.beam and 827.status files and I can't start the game. :(
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    mf2112 said:

Unfortunately the beamdog client seems unable to obtain the 827.beam and 827.status files and I can't start the game. :(

@mf2112 The new Client?
    edited April 2017
    yes sir, I couldn't preload without it. I have done the verify a few times, no change. I get exit code 3221225477. I guess I could try to uninstall and reinstall next.
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member Posts: 23
    Could you clarify about what kind of message you are getting from the Beamdog Client and what step you are taking to make it happen? It seems like you were able to successfully preload, so is this something that happens when you click the 'Update' button? Or did you complete the update and something goes wrong when you click 'Play'?
    mf2112
    Here is the error from the beamdog client,

It looks like all the placeholder files were replaced around an hour ago, everything in the game folder looks normal and complete, just the 827.beam abnd 827.status files are missing.
    The .beam and .status files aren't expected to be saved there so that's fine, so it does look like your game successfully downloaded. Could you double check that nothing is different if you run the .exe directly instead of through the client (If you click 'Options' and then 'Open Game Location' it will be Torment.exe) and give us a some information on what kind of system you're running on?
    JuliusBorisovmf2112
    edited April 2017
    @AlexeiPepers
    I split this to a new thread cause I screwed up @JuliusBorisov 's good thread. I ran torment.exe and I don't get the same Beamdog error but I do get the same crash dump.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8l5ctwsys8urgbe/dump.3.0.3.0.0016.dmp?dl=0
    I have a Win7 system, nothing to write home about.
    JuliusBorisov
    @AlexeiPepers
    When I run torment.exe from an cmd prompt, I get this:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd "\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00827"

C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00827>torment

C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00827>INFO: status: 1
    INFO: error: cannot open file pointer: No such file or directory
    INFO: Creating DPWrapper
    INFO: Steam not found
    INFO: scanning:(0) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/override
    INFO: scanning:(1) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/override
    INFO: scanning:(2) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(3) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(4) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/fonts
    INFO: scanning:(5) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(6) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(7) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/characters
    INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/movies
    INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/override
    INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(14) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(15) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(16) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/characters
    INFO: scanning:(17) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/movies
    INFO: scanning:(0) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/override
    INFO: scanning:(1) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/override
    INFO: scanning:(2) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(3) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(4) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/fonts
    INFO: scanning:(5) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(6) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(7) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/characters
    INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/movies
    INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Program Files (x86)/BeamDog/Games/00827/lang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/override
    INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(14) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(15) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(16) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/characters
    INFO: scanning:(17) C:/Users/Mike/Documents/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/movies
    INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests

At this point the crash dump dialog box appears and I click it and go back to the c: prompt.

JuliusBorisov
    I copied the 00827 folder elsewhere, deleted it, then redownloaded the whole game but still have the same error and crash dump. I am definitely in Torment....
    Thanks for splitting the thread! We've looked over your crash dump and it seems to be an issue with missing openGL, could you check that you have the latest drivers for your video card? If you don't have your card's latest drivers than please update to them and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't fix your issue then we'll have to bring in the support team, you can find the details here on how to report your issue to them: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64224/how-to-report-bugs-you-find-in-pst-ee
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov

Thanks for splitting the thread! We've looked over your crash dump and it seems to be an issue with missing openGL, could you check that you have the latest drivers for your video card? If you don't have your card's latest drivers than please update to them and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't fix your issue then we'll have to bring in the support team, you can find the details here on how to report your issue to them: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64224/how-to-report-bugs-you-find-in-pst-ee

Thank you very much for looking into it. Windows device manager says it has the latest available driver, but I am downloading and installing what AMD has now. It looks the same I think, but hopefully the reinstall will clear up whatever was missing.

So I did something I have never done in 30 years of PC work......it turns out AMD released a new driver for my 2 year old video card literally yesterday on 4/10, and given the choice between Torment and No Torment you know what I chose to do.
    It works, game opens fine. Thank you very much. I am sorry to have made a fuss but was concerned about something affecting everyone at launch since everything else had apparently gone very smoothly with the preload.
    elminster[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovAlexeiPepers
    Glad to hear it! Enjoy Torment :)
    JuliusBorisovtaclaneelminster
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Lucky. I got dump.3.0.3.0.0002.dmp Any takers?
    It appears that I have the most recent drivers as well.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @Kennis this is on/after launching the game, right?

If on PC, please attach a directx diagnostic report
    (Windows/R, type dxdiag, click ok, wait for the green progress bar to complete, save all information, and attach here)

Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
    Attached
    Thanks.
    It looks like a generic Windows 10 driver is installed for your graphics chipset. From looking at the Asus and Intel sites I can only see drivers for Windows 8.1 or earlier but you may wish to confirm with the auto-detect utility at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

You could try these things

Look in your "documents/planescape torment - enhanced edition" folder for baldur.lua file.
    Open the file and search for backend. If present, change to 1. If not present, change to add a new line as below, save the file and try launching the game.
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')

If baldur.lua does not exist, download and unzip the attached file, then place it in the location mentioned above.

Try an earlier version of Windows if available to you, e.g. via dual boot.
    JuliusBorisov
    So, I looked in that folder, and it is empty - I have a baldur.lua file from BGEE and BG2EE I 'could' place in there and try to run...just did that and it didn't work. Is that indicative of another problem?
    ooo...just tried your lua file and it works. Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
    Good to hear it, enjoy the game
    JuliusBorisov