Skip to content

PST EE Interface : Right-Click menu missing

First post.
Great work guys!

Planescape Torment is certainly one of my top favorite games.
I was quite surprised to find that you actually managed to tackle it and bring it back a little polished and modernized. As all the other enhanced editions this one does not disappoint!

I wanted to ask you about the missing right-click menu from the original game. Has it been completely removed from the EE or I'm missing something?

You had probably put a lot of consideration into working on the game, so I guess you have a good reason to scrap it and replace it with a menu at the lower part of the screen, but I would argue that it was a quite useful.

My reasons are these.
While playing Torment before I primarily relied on the mouse controls.
Right-click not only made the menu appear it was also pausing the game without the need to press the space key on the keyboard. This was kind of handy in a literal way.

The menu was also popping right next to my cursor so I didn't have to move around that much.
Currently, right mouse click does exactly the same action as the left one, which is a bit awkward.

I suspect that all this might be related to some functionality decisions taken for the mobile version of the game. I wanted to be sure if it is missing for good and if so if it would be possible to eventually put it back in in the game in a future update. It would be nice to have the option to turn it on and off.

Anyway.
This is not a complaint.
Great work, I expect you bring us the IWD2 game soon.

Regards.
TeflontaclaneKamigoroshi

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    I think it's been done away with and can only suggest to map the attack, cast, use, talk to hotkeys. I did instinctively try to right-click for it, hehe.

But for new blood it's better this way, we are old farts and can learn new tricks.
    taclaneDJKajuru
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    There's a setting to play the game in classic mode. Does that bring back the radial?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

There's a setting to play the game in classic mode. Does that bring back the radial?

Sadly not. It mainly turns off sprite outlines and similar new graphical enhancements. But it won't bring back the beloved radial menu. ;_;
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The game is very modding-friendly. Maybe some UI wizard can introduce this feature as a mod.
    KamigoroshitaclaneTeflon
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    argent77 said:

The game is very modding-friendly. Maybe some UI wizard can introduce this feature as a mod.

WANTED: Dead or Alive

Whoever returns the radial menu to PST:EE will be given an 10m³ gelatinous cube.

Sponsored by Juiblex. The winner is required to retrieve the price at the 222nd layer of the Abyss.
    taclaneTeflonPekingduckmanMontresor_SP
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    If you switch to Tablet UI, you get the functionality of the radial menu (and more) in two collapsable side-bars.
    taclane
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    So Tablet UI will give me more of the BGEE UI? I should do that, I like that UI style.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    BillyYank said:

If you switch to Tablet UI, you get the functionality of the radial menu (and more) in two collapsable side-bars.

So Tablet UI will give me more of the BGEE UI? I should do that, I like that UI style.

I was having a bit of trouble adjusting to PST UI having just recently finished an IWD run. The tablet UI makes it quite a bit easier.
    taclane
  • SpaceOrcSpaceOrc Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2017
    Maybe the radial menu requires more clicks, but you didn't have to move the mouse across the entire screen.

Why are radial menus now being used in shooters for quick communication? (Battlefield, Overwatch etc.) Yeah, they are just quicker/more pleasant to use than even a couple of keypresses. It was the quickest way to get to the dialog action, quite useful in a game where you really want to talk to your companions.
    Berov said:

it was also pausing the game without the need to press the space key on the keyboard.

^ THIS ^

Radical idea: how about giving people a setting in the game menu to bring it back?
    Teflonvladpen
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    SpaceOrc said:

Radical idea: how about giving people a setting in the game menu to bring it back?

While the PST:EE UI looks pretty similar, it is a ground-up rebuild of the old PST UI on top of their :EE engine.

If the radial menu never got reconstructed, I don't think there is anywhere to "bring it back" from right now.

Maybe someone will release a mod, or a feature request ticket could be filed. However, the odds of it getting an official release are probably a bit low since Chris Avellone came out against the radial, finding it to be one of the things in the original PST that he wasn't terribly fond of.
    Teflon
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited April 2017
    Radial menus are used in games like overwatch because people using controllers cant push more than 2-4 buttons at a time so they strip you of a thumbstick for a few seconds to get you to the input you want. If PC exclusive shooters still existed they'd still just use the tap menu 1-1,1-2,1-3,1-q , because on PC if you aren't pressing hotkeys to accomplish actions you're slower than somebody who is.

I honestly hated the radial menu because it was rather difficult to tell what all your options were and you had to keep clicking back and forth just to figure out what it was that you were able to do. The only thing it did better, imo, is force attacking took one less click.

The fact that you can customize a lot of the hot-keys for this game in the options menu pretty much sealed the deal - the UI is just for looks, and I press the keys to do the things lol.
    taclaneAndreaColomboTeflon
  • SpaceOrcSpaceOrc Member Posts: 3
    taclane said:

Chris Avellone came out against the radial

He also complained about walking speed and in the livestream he set autorun on and said it is an obvious thing to do. Lot's of people seem to disagree, so do I.