Skip to content

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition FAQ

Comments

• DoodlerooDoodleroo Member Posts: 28

@Doodleroo

It looks like the requests are coming from two different computers (the request for the soundtracks is coming from a different IP then the request the store gets). Is it possibe you're behind a proxy or something? To view the soundtracks page, you get a unique URL based off the ip address of the computer requesting it.

No proxy, but certainly behind a firewall (company network). Your colleague Scott generated a download link for me that worked, thanks a lot, very much appreciated!
    JuliusBorisov
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    For some reason the steam cloud save files aren't working when I try to access my save game on a different desktop. Other games are working for me but PST:EE isn't.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @EnterHaerDalis Thank you for bringing this up. Our QA team will double-check.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2017
    It should be working

1. Ensure Steam Cloud saves are turned on in the options.
    2. Make your save. If you made your save with Steam Cloud saves off, load it and re-save it.
    3. On the new computer, ensure Steam Cloud saves are turned on.
    4. Enter the Load Game screen. One small quirk here is that if you have never saved the game on that computer, it won't realize there are saves and the Select Life button will be greyed out. You may need to start the game, quicksave, and then enter the load screen.
    5. Once you are in the Load Game screen, the game will detect your Steam Cloud saves and they will be available.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    EnterHaerDalis
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    EE FAQ says...

Combat AI.

The combat and general gameplay of the original game were left unchanged for PST:EE.

Altering those within the base game (without making it optional) didn't feel right to us.

But I find hive thugs are too slippery and fleeing so good that is annoying. And making combat even much painful experience.
    Montresor_SP
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited April 2017
    Teflon said:

But I find hive thugs are too slippery and fleeing so good that is annoying. And making combat even much painful experience.

You can use Morte's Litany of Curses: in so doing they'll stop fleeing and will focus on attacking Morte (provided that they don't make the save vs spell........)
    Teflon
  • HellsChickenHellsChicken Member Posts: 12
    taclane said:

Can saves be easily transferred between the Steam and iOS versions?

Saves can be transferred to iOS, but not easily. If you zip, rename and then AirDrop it, you can transfer the saves.
    Thanks for the reply! Can you also go the other way?
    Yes! Find the quick-save button, then tap-and-hold. It should bring up an export menu.

Then you can airdrop/email/whatever the iOS save file wherever. To import it on pc, rename to .zip and unzip in the desktop save directory.
    I tried that last night, and no luck. I unzipped it to the save directory under documents and when loading up the game, it didn't recognize them. I tried creating a save file from the PC version and verified they go in the same directory as I was trying to put the ones from iOS in.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    edited April 2017

taclane said:

Saves can be transferred to iOS, but not easily. If you zip, rename and then AirDrop it, you can transfer the saves.
    Yes! Find the quick-save button, then tap-and-hold. It should bring up an export menu.

Then you can airdrop/email/whatever the iOS save file wherever. To import it on pc, rename to .zip and unzip in the desktop save directory.
    I tried that last night, and no luck. I unzipped it to the save directory under documents and when loading up the game, it didn't recognize them. I tried creating a save file from the PC version and verified they go in the same directory as I was trying to put the ones from iOS in.
    Erm. Sorry about that. You likely ran into a conflict with save naming/numbering.

After you unzip the .pstsave file, it will leave you with a directory named something like:
    000000001-Quick-Save-3

Change that to:
    100000001-Quick-Save-3, and PST:EE should pick it right up.

Alternatively... there is another Mac way to import the file straight into the game and it will handle numbering issues automatically for you.

On MacOS:
    1. Double-click the .pstsave you just exported to your mac.
    2. It should pop up a window like "There is no application set to open the document..."
    3. Select "Choose Application..."
    4. Browse to wherever Planescape Torment:EE is
    5. At the bottom of the window, change "Enable" to "All Applications"
    6. Choose the "Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition" application then Open

PST:EE doesn't automatically register itself as a handler of .pstsave files, so you somewhat need to force the issue on MacOS by manually going through that process. Though, after you do it the first time, it should probably stick for any other saves you try importing.

Now, if there were only a way for the desktop version to export .pstsaves, that would be a much nicer way to shift saves back to tablet.
    Post edited by taclane on
    JuliusBorisovHellsChicken
  • uzishanuzishan Member Posts: 2
    Guys quick question(and I really hope you answer). I was reading around about the E.E. version of P:T and i found out something that might make me avoid buying it. I'll paste here what one guy said(it's translated from his native language(which is also mine)... I hope this isn't true.

"I was afraid of the fact that Beamdog will try modifying the game to be as Politically Correct as possible(see Siege of Dragonspear), but hearing mr. Chris Avellone partnered up with them gave me some hope thinking that if he's there,they can't modify the dialogues too much.
    Sadly I was wrong. Morte is half lobotomized, he's not the trolling flying skull that hits on all the chicks but only a simple flying skull. He's no longer sexist or misogynist, so he doesn't intervene with anything except in some very specific cases which are so rare that they feel "Approved by the Party(TM)" <- refference to communist parties. I'm already afraid for when I get to Fall-From-Grace. Those were my impressions from the first 10 minutes of gameplay.
    *sigh*
    "

I seriously hope this guy is wrong :(
  • uzishanuzishan Member Posts: 2
    argent77 said:

That statement is just a pack of lies. No content has been changed in PST:EE. You can find more reliable information in the official FAQ.

hey, I really hope so, I found more like his. I like the characters for what they were. also in the official FAQ it is mentioned Chris did some changes to the text. I do have to check that steam policy of returning something and comparing the game vs the original(got the gog version). anyhow thanks for the reply!
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    taclaneThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @JuliusBorisov
    When/where will the PSTEE manual be released? It's still listed as "Coming Soon" on planescape.com, and not listed in the Beamdog Client at all. I realize there is the in-game "How-To-Play" button, but it is not at all comprehensive.
    @kjeron No updates about the Manual - they're still under the approval at WotC. Weekend and Easter, thus no updates.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Where are the saves located in the Beamdog Client Linux version? I found the "Baldur.lua" in my home "Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition" folder, but there's no "save" folder there. I've tried enabling "Show Hidden Files" and running file search for BALDUR.bmp", "BALDUR.gam" & BALDUR.SAV"; but there's no results found.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @JuliusBorisov Thank you
    JuliusBorisov
  • HellsChickenHellsChicken Member Posts: 12
    taclane said:

taclane said:

Erm. Sorry about that. You likely ran into a conflict with save naming/numbering.

After you unzip the .pstsave file, it will leave you with a directory named something like:
    000000001-Quick-Save-3

Change that to:
    100000001-Quick-Save-3, and PST:EE should pick it right up.

Alternatively... there is another Mac way to import the file straight into the game and it will handle numbering issues automatically for you.

On MacOS:
    1. Double-click the .pstsave you just exported to your mac.
    2. It should pop up a window like "There is no application set to open the document..."
    3. Select "Choose Application..."
    4. Browse to wherever Planescape Torment:EE is
    5. At the bottom of the window, change "Enable" to "All Applications"
    6. Choose the "Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition" application then Open

PST:EE doesn't automatically register itself as a handler of .pstsave files, so you somewhat need to force the issue on MacOS by manually going through that process. Though, after you do it the first time, it should probably stick for any other saves you try importing.

Now, if there were only a way for the desktop version to export .pstsaves, that would be a much nicer way to shift saves back to tablet.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I'm actually running Windows 10 rather than Mac, but your post gave me a much-needed clue! When I extracted the .zip file, it had the save files, but they weren't contained in a folder. So I created a folder using the name of the .pstsave file - e.g. 000000001-Quick-Save-3 and put the game saves inside that. That ended up working!
    JuliusBorisovtaclane

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I'm actually running Windows 10 rather than Mac, but your post gave me a much-needed clue! When I extracted the .zip file, it had the save files, but they weren't contained in a folder. So I created a folder using the name of the .pstsave file - e.g. 000000001-Quick-Save-3 and put the game saves inside that. That ended up working!

@HellsChicken Glad you figured something out!
    It's nice that the tablet versions can export, but there is a little bit of trial-and-error to figure out the best way to re-import a save game.

I don't have a PC to double-check, but it is entirely likely that drag-and-dropping the exported .pstsave onto the Torment.exe will import the save properly as in my Mac example above.
  • FicusFicus Member Posts: 5
    uzishan said:

Guys quick question(and I really hope you answer). I was reading around about the E.E. version of P:T and i found out something that might make me avoid buying it. I'll paste here what one guy said(it's translated from his native language(which is also mine)... I hope this isn't true.

"I was afraid of the fact that Beamdog will try modifying the game to be as Politically Correct as possible(see Siege of Dragonspear), but hearing mr. Chris Avellone partnered up with them gave me some hope thinking that if he's there,they can't modify the dialogues too much.
    Sadly I was wrong. Morte is half lobotomized, he's not the trolling flying skull that hits on all the chicks but only a simple flying skull. He's no longer sexist or misogynist, so he doesn't intervene with anything except in some very specific cases which are so rare that they feel "Approved by the Party(TM)" <- refference to communist parties. I'm already afraid for when I get to Fall-From-Grace. Those were my impressions from the first 10 minutes of gameplay.
    *sigh*
    "

I seriously hope this guy is wrong :( </p>

The kind fellows in the other thread assured me that the game's content has not been revised to please the Secretary General and help usher in a Great Leap Forward, but the Party often works in secretive ways using many disguises, and hard work by good men is necessary to expose their sinister plans. Is your friend a man of honor? I am a Southern man of the United States of America, and I share your fears. Tampering with Morte is off limits. I expect Morte to retain his full personality. Julius Borisov showed me some webpages which stated that the main changes were updates to the game engine. I tend to believe them, but I haven't played the game yet.
    edited April 2017
    Ficus said:

I expect Morte to retain his full personality.

Morte is unchanged. If there is any hint of accuracy to that statement you quoted, it is that until the Banter Accelerator mod is updated for PST:EE, everyone seems to have forgotten what the game was like when the NPCs interject comments at the rate set by Black Isle in 1999. Some elements of the game are simply more "original" than previously experienced.

Anything else we can answer for you?
    dockaboomskiThacoBell
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    To give you a fair, honest heads-up, it's established through Morte's biography that he's a passionate communist, and questioning him about his beliefs starts his romance path, which is the most descriptive part of the game, imo.
    ronaldotaclaneMontresor_SPAyiekie
  • kissggkissgg Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, I have a question. Has the Xaositect Rat Charm been restored/fixed in PST:EE? (The item you get if you join the Xaositects.)
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member Posts: 23
    @ValamirCleaver your saves should be located in "~./local/share/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/saves"
    JuliusBorisovtaclaneValamirCleaver
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    kissgg said:

Hello everyone, I have a question. Has the Xaositect Rat Charm been restored/fixed in PST:EE? (The item you get if you join the Xaositects.)

Nope, you have to wait for mod or use console.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kissggkissgg Member Posts: 9
    Queegon said:

kissgg said:

Nope, you have to wait for mod or use console.
    Too bad, I have always considered that a bug in the original and not an extra feature to be added.
    Queegon
    @AlexeiPepers Is that written correctly? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying there should be folder named "(my account name)." and inside that folder there should be a "local" folder? As far as I can tell this path does not exist.

I'll explain why this is confusing to me. There's a "local" folder in "/var". There's also a "local" folder in "/usr". There's a "/usr/local/share" path and there's a "/usr/local/share/games" path, but there's no "Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition" in any of those paths. There's a "Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition" in my "/home/(my account name)" and while there's the "Baldur.lua" file there's no "saves" folder located there.

I have "Show Hidden Files" enabled in the file explorer while doing this searching.

Could you give me an example of an absolute path (not a relative path) please? I understand that when one uses "~/" when listing folder paths it represents "/home/(account name)/", but have I no idea what absolute path "~./" is supposed to represent.

Could you give me an example of an absolute path (not a relative path) please? I understand that when one uses "~/" when listing folder paths it represents "/home/(account name)/", but have I no idea what absolute path "~./" is supposed to represent.

There may have been a minor transposition with the dot there. I'm pretty sure he meant that the PST:EE saves should be in:
    /home/yourusername/.local/share/Planescape Torment - Enhanced Edition/save
    ValamirCleaverAlexeiPepersJuliusBorisovTeflon
    @taclane Thank you for the clarification. I just checked again right now; for some reason even with "Show Hidden Files" enabled the file explorer doesn't search inside the ".local" folder, I had to manually enter the text listing of the path for it to appear.
    taclaneJuliusBorisov
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member Posts: 23
    My apologies! I did indeed typo, the period was meant to be for .local. Thanks @taclane for the correction.
    ValamirCleaverJuliusBorisovTeflon