Skip to content

[MOD] Journal Portrait Conversations for PSTEE

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
edited July 2017 in PST:EE Mods
This Mod will make it so when you initiate dialogue, it will show a portrait that is scaled down to half size of the appropriate bestiary entry that is located in your journal.

Example:

In the future this will probably be integrated into Portraits Portraits Everywhere.

Please note the following:

- Portraits for dialogue will not show up in PSTEE without modifying the UI. This can be done manually, or you can install this component to copy over a pre-modified UI.menu. If you do copy it over, it will overwrite any custom ui.meu you may already. Instructions on how to manually do this are in the readme if you don't want to overwrite a custom ui.menu.

- This will behave differently on a games in progress and a new game. When installing or reinstalling this mod on a game in progress, NPCs in areas you've previously visited won't get portraits, but areas and NPCs you have not yet visited will get portraits. If you start a new game, then all NPCs that should get portraits will get them.

Important: Please do not distribute the included WeiDU binary! This is an unofficial version which contains experimental code and may contain bugs or other incompatibilities.

Version History:
v0.52 19 Apr 17
-Added code to copy over NPC portraits to alleviate stretched portrait issue on existing games

v0.51 16 Apr 17
-Added code to modify UI.menu by patching instead of overwriting by argent77

v0.50 16 Apr 17
- first Release, no weidu for UI.meu

Additional screenshots:

Here is a link to the .pstoverride file for iOS users provided by @AstroBryGuy
Be sure to note that this is only for the current patch and that uninstalling the mod on iOS requires uninstalling/reinstalling the PST:EE app.
Post edited by smeagolheart on
Queegonlefreutargent77ButtercheeseKamigoroshithemazingnessbob_vengbatoorcameosisJarlealeAstroBryGuyStefanOAquadrizzttaclaneDJKajurulolienDark_AnsemBubbcmk24rede9elminsterJuliusBorisovdockaboomskiGusindamlneveseCrevsDaakMoradinSssiksseilorl19980623NicolBluetooth__Q__DJ_RaptorIseweintl1942

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    LOVE IT!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Great work! It looks good even on 4:3 resolutions.

smeagolheartJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakbob_veng
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited April 2017
    Awesome! I'm excited to install this. What files should I backup in case I want to revert to vanilla PST:EE?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Awesome! I'm excited to install this. What files should I backup in case I want to revert to vanilla PST:EE?

UI.menu, but it won't even exist in your override unless you have edited the UI.

You should be able to uninstall if you wanted to.
    themazingness
    @argent77 provided code to patch ui.menu instead of overwriting so that has been added to the download in the first post.
    I'm loving it! I installed it and am using it on a game in progress. For some reason, my team members' portraits are not the NPC (journal versions) but are stretched and pixelated versions of their character portraits (a still version of the animated ones from the UI). But I can put up with that for the rest of the awesomeness.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Looks good @smeagolheart!

Can I suggest NOT integrating this into PPE? It's a svelte 1MB download, while PPE is over 300MB. It just seems like overkill to have to download all of PPE. (and also a waste of space, since most users probably won't think to prune the unnecessary folders from the PPE download after install).
    ineth
    edited April 2017

I'm loving it! I installed it and am using it on a game in progress. For some reason, my team members' portraits are not the NPC (journal versions) but are stretched and pixelated versions of their character portraits (a still version of the animated ones from the UI). But I can put up with that for the rest of the awesomeness.

Ah that is because they are already in the game. If you restarted they would get the journal pics.

This might be able to be fixed by replacing the NPC Portraits with the journal Portraits. I'll test it out.
    themazingness
    On save/load options screen showing NPCs, alignment, faction on new games it shows the journal entries' pictures instead of the normal animated miniatures. Oversight?
    Queegon said:

On save/load options screen showing NPCs, alignment, faction on new games it shows the journal entries' pictures instead of the normal animated miniatures. Oversight?

yes it was oversought, can you provide a screenshot? I'm not sure what you mean, I haven't played PSTEE extensively yet and seen this.

Ah that is because they are already in the game. If you restarted they would get the journal pics.

This might be able to be fixed by replacing the NPC Portraits with the journal Portraits. I'll test it out.
    I figured that was a side-effect. I hope you don't mean you will try replacing the animated portraits on the main gameplay UI. That would be unfortunate. It would be better for those to remain.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

oversought

overseeth ;)

smeagolheartCrevsDaak
    edited April 2017
    @smeagolheart
    That I can do

smeagolheart
    edited April 2017

I figured that was a side-effect. I hope you don't mean you will try replacing the animated portraits on the main gameplay UI. That would be unfortunate. It would be better for those to remain.
    I agree, no don't want to replace the animated portraits just the conversation Portraits which are different.

And I see what you mean queegon by the quick save. I think it's ok, can't be helped without a workaround like additional changes to UI.menu possibly that are probably not worthwhile

EDIT:
    Not sure I can do anything about the quicksave..
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    themazingness
    I added a "compatibility patch" (aka override.zip) to the original post.

If you unzip it's contents in the override folder, after closing and reloading the game when you talk to your NPCs you should see their larger sized journal portraits instead of the stretched portraits.

Please let me know if it works, @themazingness or someone else who notices this.
    @smeagolheart Awesome! That worked nicely. Thanks!
  • kissggkissgg Member Posts: 9
    Any idea how to use it on Mac OSX? I played around with it, but it is showing portraits next to the conversations only for my teammates, noone else. I must be missing something.

Nice work, BTW!
    I'm not sure, i don't have a Mac. It loaded correctly, no errors with weidu?

Are you using the Mac version of weidu or the version included? The version included is the beta with PSTEE support. I don't think the stable version for Mac has been released.

Are there a lot (~999) of cre files in your override?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited April 2017
    kissgg said:

Any idea how to use it on Mac OSX? I played around with it, but it is showing portraits next to the conversations only for my teammates, noone else. I must be missing something.

Nice work, BTW!

I am having the same problem, but with Windows 10. When using the override.zip all my party members have portraits, but every other NPC has what I'm guessing is the "no portrait" icon. SS:

There are 999 cre files in my override, if that helps :)

Also, this is an awesome mod. This is something that just feels like it belongs, something that should have been in the original. Great work!

Edit: User error, carry on.
    Post edited by Bubb on
    jkhristian
    Would you mind uploading one of those cre's here so I can take a look?
    I've managed to install it and seems to work perfectly now. This is how I did it: I remembered that I had an almost never used Windows 7 VMware fusion image suspended, so I started it after mapping/mounting the game folder from under Steam (yes, I am using Steam) as a Windows network drive for the virtual machine. After that I extracted the zip file into the game folder and ran the exe in the Mac game folder but from under the Windows virtual machine. It went seamlessly.

What I did is feasible and good for me because I just want to enjoy the game with your mod, but it cannot be expected from the average Mac user playing PST:EE. So I will look for alternatives later and post it here if I find something worthwhile.
    edited April 2017

Would you mind uploading one of those cre's here so I can take a look?

Sure thing. This is one of the guards that I'm sure isn't showing the portrait.

Edit: User error, carry on.
    Post edited by Bubb on
    @Bubb: I agree that this mod adds so much theme that it should be part of the original. Ingenious! BTW, override.zip is not necessary if you are starting a new game with this mod installed.
    @smeagolheart While the override worked great, TNO's portrait is still stretched. It show's his portrait when interacting with some objects like the sensory stones in the Public Sensorium.
    edited April 2017
    @smeagolheart
    Ah, forgive me, I did not read the description close enough. I've been using a savegame, and this is why the portraits aren't appearing. Starting a new game works. Is there any way to "update" a savegame to include these portraits? I think I'm a little too far into my current game to start over. :)

@smeagolheart While the override worked great, TNO's portrait is still stretched. It show's his portrait when interacting with some objects like the sensory stones in the Public Sensorium.

oh ok, yeah I didn't include TNO's portrait, let me add that in.
    Bubb said:

@smeagolheart
    Ah, forgive me, I did not read the description close enough. I've been using a savegame, and this is why the portraits aren't appearing. Starting a new game works. Is there any way to "update" a savegame to include these portraits? I think I'm a little too far into my current game to start over. :)

No there's no way - but creatures in areas you haven't already visited will get their new portraits. Just creatures in areas you've already been will not get portraits.
    edited April 2017

@theamazingness I updated the op with an updated override.zip with tno's portrait too it should work now.
    themazingnesslolien
    It worked. Thanks!
    I made a very minor update to the mod in the OP, it copies over the contents of the override.zip. It should prevent future downloaders from getting the stretched NPC portraits issue. If everything is working for you now, you don't need this update.

update history
    v0.52 19 Apr 17
    -Added code to copy over NPC portraits to alleviate stretched portrait issue on existing games
    lolienrede9
    edited April 2017
    In games where I already met Vhailor before installing this and with the override he properly gets the avatar next to textbox.
    In new games he doesn't. There's just the torment symbol instead. Haven't found any other NPC having this problem.

For whatever reason starting a new game with his override .cre files deleted shows his avatar. O_o