Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

Cahir said:

@AstroBryGuy is it possible to aply only Faldorn-Izefia bug fix for 22.7? I do want to use the depreciated component. If so, how can I do it?

Copy the bg1npc/phase2/portraits directory from v22.7 to the same location in v22.8.
    Remove the "DEPRECATED" command from the non-joinable NPC portraits section in setup-bg1npc.tp2.
    Thanks, is this component marked as deprecated permanently or do you plan to take some actions to correct these copyright issues, which are the aftermath of @Buttercheese's intervention, I presume?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2017
    Zaghoul said:

Zaghoul said:

@AstroBryGuy V22.8 Downloads but will not install quests and banter section. All other sections install.
    THis is on a clean game and is the first mod, by itself.( V22.7 installed fine before this one-uninstalled beforehand of course)
    Only this section had errors by the way.

Sorry, I tested v22.8 before uploading, and didn't see this error. I've tracked it down and uploaded a new set of packages on GitHub.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases/tag/v22.8
    @AstroBryGuy That did it. That was quick, thanks.

Glad to hear it! I guess I shouldn't be debugging at 2am. I'm apparently not at my sharpest... :smirk:
    Cahir said:

Cahir said:

@AstroBryGuy is it possible to aply only Faldorn-Izefia bug fix for 22.7? I do want to use the depreciated component. If so, how can I do it?

Copy the bg1npc/phase2/portraits directory from v22.7 to the same location in v22.8.
    Remove the "DEPRECATED" command from the non-joinable NPC portraits section in setup-bg1npc.tp2.
    Thanks, is this component marked as deprecated permanently or do you plan to take some actions to correct these copyright issues, which are the aftermath of @Buttercheese's intervention, I presume?
    I don't want to get into a debate about it here, but I think Buttercheese has a valid point.

I discussed the issue with @JuliusBorisov, and it was decided that to comply with Beamdog's stated policies, the portraits and music tracks had to be removed. I haven't removed any code to support those components, so it is not hard to re-enable them. But, you will need to provide the images/music tracks.

I would like to restore the portrait pack with images that are Creative Commons licensed. But, it will take some work to find properly licensed images.

Cahir said:

Cahir said:

I don't want to get into a debate about it here, but I think Buttercheese has a valid point.

I discussed the issue with @JuliusBorisov, and it was decided that to comply with Beamdog's stated policies, the portraits and music tracks had to be removed. I haven't removed any code to support those components, so it is not hard to re-enable them. But, you will need to provide the images/music tracks.

I would like to restore the portrait pack with images that are Creative Commons licensed. But, it will take some work to find properly licensed images.
    No no, you misunderstood my intentions. I also think @Buttercheese has a valid point, just wanted to know if this component can be re-enabled (because I like it) and if you plan to reach portrait authors or find other portraits that can be credited appropriately.
    Cahir said:

Cahir said:

Cahir said:

No no, you misunderstood my intentions. I also think @Buttercheese has a valid point, just wanted to know if this component can be re-enabled (because I like it) and if you plan to reach portrait authors or find other portraits that can be credited appropriately.
    Sorry for misunderstanding!

I would like to restore the component. I'm going to build a source list as best I can. Unfortunately, many of the images were found on sites like Pinterest (and I know that's not the source). I have been doing Google Image searches to try and find the original images, but sometimes, I'm not able to find it (or I find that it's a copyrighted Paizo image for Pathfinder or something like that).
  • ramnozackramnozack Member Posts: 2
    Im having trouble installing the new version of this mod using BWS on a fresh install. I keep getting the same error

C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition>
    The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications (BG1 NPC Project) was installed successfully.

ERROR: Cannot resolve external symbolic label [TKWI1] for DLG [TIAXJ]
    ERROR: postprocessing [KAISH]: Failure("cannot resolve label")
    ERROR: Failure("cannot resolve label")
    The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections (BG1 NPC Project) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component
    again. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.

If you don't want to spent
    time for that now, you can also continue without the component or exit the
    program. The BiG World Setup will continue with the installation of that component.
    Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    edited March 2017
    @ramnozack - I uploaded a new version v22.8a at GitHub this morning. That will fix the issue.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases/latest
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017
    If I may, I offer you a alternative to the problem at hand with the portraits. The Neverwinter Vault currently still hosts Portrait Packs of all sorts of characters that are free to use, and mostly all of them (possibly a few exceptions, I think there was a few portraits in packs that were problematic) were created by the community at the time. You could try there, and see what can be found to replace the portraits that have now become lost. I believe most of the portraits they have has been credited from each appropriate NWN community member.

As for music, well that is a bit problematic as there is very few places that offer free to use music for the quality you're looking for, and so that it matches with D&D, I know that Newgrounds, Soundcloud, and Bandcamp might be your best bet, and just as long you give credit to the music artist too.

Post edited by Kaliesto on
    edited March 2017
    Kaliesto said:

If I may, I offer you a alternative to the problem at hand with the portraits. The Neverwinter Vault currently still hosts Portrait Packs of all sorts of characters that are free to use, and mostly all of them (possibly a few exceptions, I think there was a few portraits in packs that were problematic) were created by the community at the time. You could try there, and see what can be found to replace the portraits that have now become lost. I believe most of the portraits they have has been credited from each appropriate NWN community member.

As for music, well that is a bit problematic as there is very few places that offer free to use music for the quality you're looking for, and so that it matches with D&D, I know that Newgrounds, Soundcloud, and Bandcamp might be your best bet, and just as long you give credit to the music artist too.

I looked at a few of the portrait packs on Neverwinter Vault. I don't see many where it's the original artist posting the pack. I see a lot of "here's a collection of portraits I found on the web" or marked "I did not create the original artwork". So, that's unfortunately not usable, even if the NWN Vault poster marked it "Open".
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017
    Honestly in one way this was a blessing in disguise as sometimes it is bit jarring to see a familiar looking character from another game, movie, etc. Actually seeing something 100% custom made portrait tends to be a lot better in the end that has no ties to anything in particular.

Also that is a bit of a shame, I guess the sources got lost somewhere along the way.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I've noticed that the script X#MAG14D.BAF contains hardcoded strrefs which are pointing to the wrong strings in BGEE and EET.
    edited March 2017
    argent77 said:

I've noticed that the script X#MAG14D.BAF contains hardcoded strrefs which are pointing to the wrong strings in BGEE and EET.

Thanks. I'll fix that.

Also, to French, German, Spanish, and Polish users: For the fix, I'll need translations of the following lines:

@776 = ~Spell Sequencer-Fired~ @777 = ~Spell Sequencer-Stoneskins~ @778 = ~Spell Sequencer-Fireshield Red~ @779 = ~Spell Sequencer-Melf's Minute Meteors~ @780 = ~Contingency-Minor Spell Turning~ @781 = ~Minor Sequencer Activated~

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found the strings in the IWDEE dialog.tlk files for all languages. If you want to double-check the translations, I would appreciate it. The lines are added to bg1npc_tmp.tra.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/blob/master/bg1npc/tra/french/bg1npc_tmp.tra
    https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/blob/master/bg1npc/tra/german/bg1npc_tmp.tra
    https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/blob/master/bg1npc/tra/polish/bg1npc_tmp.tra
    https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/blob/master/bg1npc/tra/spanish/bg1npc_tmp.tra
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    This is what my BGII:EE gives, and it's better German:

@778 = ~Kettenzauber: Roter Feuerschild~

@780 = ~Notfall: Geringere Zauber zurückwerfen~
    @781 = ~Geringerer Kettenzauber aktiviert~

The other ones are OK.
    Thanks, @Jastey!
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

v22.8 is released to fix a problem the Faldorn - Izefia quest. This release also deprecates the Non-Joinable NPC Portraits component to comply with copyright issues.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases/latest

Changes for Version 22.8 - 2017-03-25
    * Fixed issue with Faldorn-Izefia quest. #26
    * Deprecating Non-Joinable NPC Portraits component due to copyright issues

Fixed #26 quest just fine. Tested on my end as well.
    Great to see it working. Thanks :)
    @AstroBryGuy here's Polish translation:
    @776 = ~Sekwencer zaklęć: uaktywniony~
    @777 = ~Sekwencer zaklęć: Kamienna skóra~
    @778 = ~Sekwencer zaklęć: Ognista tarcza (czerwona)~
    @779 = ~Sekwencer zaklęć: Miniaturowe meteory Melfa~
    @780 = ~Warunkowanie: Mniejsze odbicie czaru~
    @781 = ~Uaktywniono Mniejszy sekwencer~
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @AstroBryGuy Here is a change for the french translation
    @780 = ~Contingence - Renvoi des sorts mineurs~ @781 = ~Séquenceur mineur activé~
    The one you found for 781 looks strange. It is from 25889 in IWDEE, where the english description of the spell is "don't really know what this does yet" (and this remained in french). ;)
    @jastey, @Cahir, @Isaya - Thanks!
  • grisbosskgrisbossk Member Posts: 21
    I did clean install with SoD and ran modmerge (at chitin folder). Then I installed this mod. Invalid # dialogue appeared.
    @grisbossk - Please zip up the SETUP-BG1NPC.DEBUG file and post it here.
    @AstroBryGuy Hello. This is my bg1npc debug file. It said successfully on every count.

@grisbossk - Had you already installed BG1NPC? The setup log says it only added 1 string to the dialog.tlk file. Also, what are some of the invalid string reference #s?

@grisbossk - Had you already installed BG1NPC? The setup log says it only added 1 string to the dialog.tlk file. Also, what are some of the invalid string reference #s?

Yeah. I uninstalled the first time it didn't work. Since most convo were invalid #. Then I just installed again yesterday to grab the debug log. I tried this with clean install once. No other mod installed. Thanks for the prompt reply. Appreciate it.
    1. Are you playing in English? According to you log, the mod was installed to the English dialog.tlk, so if you are playing in a different language, you won't see the strings.

2. Did modmerge successfully rename the SoD DLC file to "sod-dlc.disabled"? If it's still "sod-dlc.zip", then the game is still using the dialog.tlk in the DLC.

3. What #s does the game show for the BG1NPC invalid strings?
    edited April 2017
    @AstroBryGuy
    1. Yes, English version,
    2. I'm not sure, since I just uninstall the game now and gonna try reinstall just BG:EE,
    3. See attached for fresh install (only BG:EE, haven't installed SOD)

The second time I initiate dialogue to Shar-Teel below:

Invalid 68793
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited April 2017
    Since it appears for your main character and before the initiating pseudo-talk from Shar-Teel (the main character never starts a dialog actually), it seems to me it comes from a subtitle of a command of your main character.
    Are you playing with subtitles on?
    Do those "Invalid xxxxx" disappear if you disable subtiles?
    Did you previously install a mod that adds a voice set for the main character?
    Yes! I finally got it working. I think it had something to do with modmerge not properly installed (only 5-6 seconds execution). This is my 4th time reinstall the whole thing. Vanilla BGEE+SOD v. 2.3. Then modmerge (took a few minutes). I had no idea why modmerge failed to install last time.

Thanks a bunch for all the help. Looking forward for more banters.
  • Zaarin_2003Zaarin_2003 Member Posts: 33
    Hi, I'm having trouble installing the NPC Project Music Pack 6, and wonder if anyone can help please? I have the NPC project v22.8 installed already. I install the Music Pack to the same location and get the error, "Application error - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application." Shortly before this dialogue box appears, there is some DOS script which appears swiftly before it dissappears... I took a screenshot and it says the following:

"[C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] WeiDU version 23700
    {setup-bg1npc.exe} Queried (pid = 720) version = 2400
    Newest WeiDU is version 24000, updating
    WeiDU files in version order:
    [setup-bg1npc.exe] version 24000
    [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe] version 23799
    Copying [setup-bg1npc.exe] -> [setup-bg1npcmusic.exe]: false"

It may say more, but it was very hard to take a screen shot and I had to be quick and kept only capturing the first couple of lines or missing it entirely. Hopefully I have captured is of help. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    WeiDU is attempting to auto-update itself to the latest version and failing. Manually delete setup-bg1npcmusic.exe, then make a copy of setup-bg1npc.exe and rename it setup-bg1npcmusic.exe. Then run that file.
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2017
    I seem to be having endless troubles with this mod lately. I have the latest version of BG:EE with SOD installed.

My process for mods is thus:
    -Modmerge
    -BG1NPC
    -BG1NPCMusic
    -Unfinished Business
    -Portraits everywhere
    -CDTweaks.. of which i only use a few select componenets.. mainly bags of holding, party members wont leave party.

not sure if it's one of the other mods but. I start the game and It all palys fine generally, Imoen triggers her first 2 banters, all the banters that are added to scenes such as the strange old man in lion's way all work. But it seems that after Imoen says her first 2 banters, no one says anything after that except when I rest, which i think are preset scenes when resting. I have Imoen, Xzar Monty all in my party and this is before going to the friendly arm.

I remember at least one banter where Monty slaughters some rabbits that hasn't triggered, so I know there is at least one banter at this point in the game that just doesn't seem to trigger no matter how long I wait. I'm paranoid to play further because it seems like it's broken somehow. I've rested and traveled but still no banter from Xzar or Monty... Any help would be great.

#Update# 1
    So, I left the game running while I slept last night, it took around 43 hours of in game time (about 258 minutes real time) but eventually another banter triggered, and then another directly after it, probably because i left the game on for 8ish hours. This seems like way to long between banters, I have mine set to the default time between them. Is it just because I'm so early in the game?

#Update# 2
    So i have played further into the game, about 3 hours of playtime. In that 3 hours I got one single banter from Jahira, her first banter. I'm all the way to beregost, having done all the side quests in friendly arm and some more stuff in Lions Way. Imoen still hasn't tried to cast the spell, so I don't have her artifact, all 3 previous times I've played this mod in the past she had it long before I got to Beregost, and I spent about the same or more time traveling there this playthru.

#Update# 3
    So i went into the banttiming.2da file and changed the probability to 100 and the frequency to 50. I get banters and spoken lines firing in quick succession. seems to be working, but I've let it play through 10 banters, and still Imoen hasn't gotten her banter that gives her the Artifact. how does the mod keep track of what banters have already fired? I'm curious because when testing last night I got that particular banter, and got the item, but then I reloaded to an earlier save, and can't seem to get it again. Frustrating. Can banters only fire once per character? even If i reload a previous save will they not fire again?

As a final note, I think I have figured a way around the troubles I'm having, I just have to make sure to save after every banter. Also, just out of curiosity, what does everyone suggest as a good banter timing, while i had it cranked I noticed theres a lot of banters between Xzar, Monty and Jahira/Khalid.
    should I have banters that fire fairly often so I get to see more of these before they fight each other? or does the banter timing actually effect how long it takes them to get fed up and kill each other?
    Post edited by Dameon2 on