Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Victor_Creed_SFV, thanks for the tip! An AC of -20 or -21 sounds amazing. :open_mouth:
    One issue with LoB is that most battles are against large mobs, so even two or three lucky criticals can get my Blade into serious trouble. (I have no crit protection, other than Stoneskin, and I haven't been using Stoneskin much because I only have one level 4 slot which I usually reserve for MGoI.)
    But you've definitely piqued my interest. Maybe I can set the Spider form up with with all possible buffs, inclding Stoneskin, and some potions. I could also combine this strategy with Webs and Spider Spawn...
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    The "Blades Dream" would be: Lower Big B´s MR -> Web him and the Demon Army -> Let the fully buffed 5 APR Sword Spider do her biting -> GG! Too bad it only hits as a +1 weapon... :D
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    You can cast via scrolls, too.
    Idk about Sod tho, in BG1 there is a lot of scrolls available in Baldur's Gate city (20 or 40 I think) you can use either Ghoul touch or Chill touch.

@Harpagornis that is the beauty of it, after the touch spell expires you attack with whatever weapon you have equipped.
    edited April 2017
    Not really sure about Big B, the problem is gonna be buffs running out too soon.
    Web is not gonna be enough for the demons either and you will still have to rely on restealthing.
    I played around with an EE keepered blade for a bit and while this is pretty op against fewer enemies, as soon as there is say more than 3 heavy melee hitters they are gonna start critting too often, LoB cheese be cursed.
    My F/M/C can't even survive against the three hasted greater doppelgangers without healing, -11 AC is a joke vs them they constantly hit 15s and ofc crits on top.
    I wonder how good this is for kiting tho, 5 apr with a sling are no joke if you have high str.
    I don't have the patience for kiting I'd rather resort to wand cheesing, I don't like it much but prefer it to kiting, lul.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Damn you guys !! I'm just so jealous of your no-reload games !! Almost makes me want to restart, but I won't ; I'll try to go as far as I can before restarting. I have the feeling I'm almost losing my time, because I don't think a fighter class can defeat Mel. At least, I'm devising strategies for future runs.

Anyway, Caligula made some progress this week and I'll report later tonight.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Arctodus said:

Damn you guys !! I'm just so jealous of your no-reload games !!

They do have their downsides :p. I didn't want to try the fighter/cleric again for a while, but had a go yesterday with a shaman I rolled up a long time ago without playing much. I died twice, once very annoyingly when, with 39 HPs at level 4 :#, I decided that it was safe to travel on the road. Given he was wearing a helmet, that would have been entirely safe under core rules, but the LoB bandits made short work of him :'(. The lack of any option to hide makes this class a bit fiddly, but I'll have another go today and remain resolutely optimistic ...
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Grond0 said:

Arctodus said:

Damn you guys !! I'm just so jealous of your no-reload games !!

They do have their downsides :p.
    You can say that again. I was gutted when 100% fire resistant Mordica got killed last night by exploding barrels on Boareskyr Bridge, a scripted death due to apparently taking too long in killing the Crusaders' Fire Elemental.
    I estimate she had been fighting it for less than a turn. :s

The scripted death was disappointing (don't like 'em, cheap solutions for plot holes), and the shortage of time disconcerting. I merely had the elemental at 'barely injured'. Should I have interrupted the crusader mage's summoning of the elemental?

Yesterday I was close to giving up on the challenge because I felt I couldn't be bothered with taking another character through BG1 and quite a big part of SoD. Then I realized I have only completed BG1 and parts of SoD with a Thief/Illusionist, a Cleric/Illusionist, and a Blade, always relying heavily on wands. So I was thinking a non-arcane character could still be fun for me.

Do you folks have any suggestions for a nice build that should both be fun to play and survivable enough for a no-reload run? I'm considering Archer (for Called Shot sheninigans), Cleric/Thief (one of my favorite classes, lot of flexibility), or any dive caster but I'm open for other builds.

And does anyone know of any somewhat reliable tactics for non-casters to deal with the Ducal Palace and for slow killers (non-warriors) with the Boareskyr Bridge?

@Grond0, nice to see you try with a Shaman. Interesting class. I hope you can give Shagrat another try.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    @Blackraven, as much as I'd love to see someone take an archer through this challenge (rangers are awesome!), I think you'll have a big problem facing Big B due to the lack of +3 arrows you can get to hit him. Maybe a ranger/cleric for a stealth bonus? Or a cleric/thief would be a great challenge too.
    Oh man @Grond0 I really wanted to try shaman for a long time and plain forgot, i might pick one up next to my main run.

@Blackraven
    The safest classes for BG1 in my personal opinion are Barbarian, DD and any Druid variant, Fighter/Druid dual probably being the strongest as @Harpagornis already proved. :D
    Grond0 said:

It's not just the difference in AI between BG1 and SoD, but also LoB that's the problem for the shaman. In standard BG1 pretty much any enemy can be killed by running them around in Writhing Fog, but the higher HPs and large group sizes of enemies (many of them with special attacks) mean that spell is of very little use in LoB SoD.

Very true.
    Has any of you guys ever tried staff of striking on Belhifet?
    It also works with spider forms 5 apr and after his 25% crush resist it still should end up doing 375 damage with all 25 charges.
    How high is Belhifets HP on LoB?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited April 2017

You can still drink from inventory. It's either an oversight or an engine limitation (I'm betting on the latter). M'Khiin's survival rate has rose dramatically ever since I realized this myself.

It's also worth noting that while dancing breaks invisiblity, it does not break Sanctuary. The drawback is that your spirits won't attack until the sanctuary breaks.

Thanks for the info @Artemius_I. I've checked that Shagrat can use a potion from inventory, which would certainly help in a similar situation in future :). I'm not quite sure about your reference to Sanctuary though. That's not a standard spell available to shamans - does M'Khiin get that as a special ability? If it were available it would indeed give an absolutely huge power boost to a solo shaman :#.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2017
    Grond0 said:

You can still drink from inventory. It's either an oversight or an engine limitation (I'm betting on the latter). M'Khiin's survival rate has rose dramatically ever since I realized this myself.

It's also worth noting that while dancing breaks invisiblity, it does not break Sanctuary. The drawback is that your spirits won't attack until the sanctuary breaks.

Thanks for the info @Artemius_I. I've checked that Shagrat can use a potion from inventory, which would certainly help in a similar situation in future :). I'm not quite sure about your reference to Sanctuary though. That's not a standard spell available to shamans - does M'Khiin get that as a special ability? If it were available it would indeed give a absolutely huge power boost to a solo shaman :#.
    It's late and my brain isn't working right (and I'm cooling off from my own LoB+SCS game). Some mod (I believe Tweaks) adds Sanctuary to druid spellbooks in my game. Not that it would help M'Khiin either way since her level 1 spells are set. There is one item added by Rogue Rebalancing which can cast Sanctuary though.

It's not that useful if you're soloing anyway. As I said, the summons won't fight back because their AI only seems to function if they can see their summoner, so it's more useful in a party where your other party members can make use of them as walls. In solo they just... die. Kind of slowly.