Skip to content

Outstanding issues with Enhanced Editions

1. UI. A thread utterly thrashing the UI was already made, but it bears repeating. And no, having a moddable UI is not an excuse to have bad default UI.
2. Pickpocket. A truly baffling change, where pickpocket now has a minimum threshold for working at all, in addition to still being a random success roll. I have absolutely no idea where this came from; pickpocket did not work that way in any of the original games and such behaviour was not even hinted at. Furthermore, this "feature" was apparently introduced in the laziest way possible, with the threshold value being set at 50 for all NPCs. Why was such a blatant ingerention in core game mechanics allowed, without even an option to turn it off?
3. ToB-style NPCs. In Baldur's Gate, NPCs existed in leveled up "versions" and the "version" closest to your level was the one you got when you met them for the first time. In BG2, if I remember correctly, NPCs were not leveled at all - if you left Cernd in his grove until after Underdark, he would be a piddly level Druid when you met him afterwards. In Throne of Bhaal, this was changed again so that while NPCs remain at their base level through the games, their individual level will be increased to the average party level when you recruit them. Then you can redistribute their proficiences, skills, etc. at your leisure. Hovewer, Enhanced Editions extend this behaviour to all NPCs across all the games, which is a problem for two reasons: One, it is seriously immersion-breaking to have (for example) Minsc jump from level 1 to 5 when you meet him. Yes, it's better for the player from the pure gameplay standpoint, because maybe you don't like his default level 5 proficiences and would like to pick something different. But at the same time, in the spirit of a cultivating suspension of disbelief in this role-playing game I'm playing, Minsc is his own character, he does his own "thing" and you shouldn't have full control over him, or any other NPC for that matter(In ToB this hardly mattered because there was almost no roleplaying involved anyway). The second problem the ToB-style NPCs bring to the games is that it's a way to basically generate XP out of thin air and potentially abuseable as hell. For example, you can play the game a bit solo gaining levels quickly, and THEN recruit party members, and they will all be granted "free" XP as the game will be pulling their levels up to match yours. Since the maximum party size is 6, this can more or less sextuple the amount of XP you've gained when playing solo for a while. And because the games are, in many ways, balanced around party sizes(smaller parties should level faster and be better equipped overall, and the opposite for large parties, with the tradeoff of having more characters to work with) this can potentially break the entire progression curve. "ToB-Style NPCs" was an optional component in both TuTu and Baldur's Gate Trilogy, and should absolutely remain an optional component in the Enhanced Edition games.
4. Spawns. In Enhanced Edition, spawns are based on party size, in addition to average level. This is not vanilla behaviour, and at least there should be an option to turn it off.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    1-I agree that since their first release in 2012 they have struggled with bad UI's or, at best, worse than the originals. They probably have a decent art team, but the UI is the "book cover" and I believe they have failed to deliver the same atmosphere that BG, IWD and BG2 vanilla offer. On the other hand, Ps:T new UI is beautiful , so maybe they have learned a bit on what to change and what to leave the way it is.

3- I got used to that new feature, and the "solo till level x to get npcs at higher level " was already possible in the original version . Also , let's remember that in the original BG1 weapon styles were different, so even if you didn't get to choose minsc's weapon proficiencies his pp in large swords allowed him to wield longswords, 2h swords and bastard swords, which wasn't truly an AD&D thing. What I do to balance the tob style npc's is to give them weapon profs that are as close to their original versions as possible.

4-I agree. Level 1 characters would always meet a band of gibberlings, and not a single one. I think it should have been optional.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    2 - IIRC, this was AD&D version 1 or 2 behavior. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) As such, the change would have been a bug fix.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I'm just always left wondering who was complaining about all this stuff so TPTB thought it needed changing.

Seems extraordinary that you take a product with a proven track record (and such a track record in this age of disposable everything) and decide that it wasn't good enough across so many areas.

Walking speed is nice, have to give them that.

Even pathfinding, well the thing about older games is that they are frustrating, they did take a lot of effort to work with, and so you get addicted. It's not a "mistake" if your NPC wander off God knows where, it's an aspect of the game you have to cope with. A difficulty just like meeting a group of archers.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Ironically, a new player will almost certainly grab Imoen, Xzar and Montaron - and run into a pack of said Gibberlings anyway, since the game now scales to a party of 4. All this does is shaft solo players.

The pickpocket change is much less meaningful than you think. This is because as I've said, the universal threshold for everything is 50. Since pretty much every Thief class no matter the race starts with (at least) 25 in Pick Pockets, all it takes is one Thief level to get to the magical 50 and you're done with it for the series. And in the end - just breaking the threshold doesn't guarantee success, so you're reloading like mad either way. So what exactly is being improved here?

Saying that ToB-style NPCs give you "more choices as a player" is not even entirely honest. You could always take Alora, you just chose not to because she wasn't an all-in-one Thief that you wanted her to be. It's not like that option wasn't there. But if you had another Thief in your party that could cover Open Locks/Find Traps, Alora could very well be worth taking(especially with her Lucky Foot fixed) I mean, you might as well argue that the player should be able to pick classes for all NPCs they meet... after all, that's more choices and therefore a good thing, right?

Personally I never, ever had Alora in my party and I never particularly cared. It's not like every person(NPC) you meet in a world is going to be specifically tailored for your needs, and if it's not, too bad. Setting Supremacy.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I think the thing with Alora and Tiax is that it was done in a more sympathetic way by the NPC project.

Longtime players, aware of how late you could get them causing problems, moved them to more accessible locations.
    It also allows you to enjoy them more should you choose to do that.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I find it funny when people complain on how bad the path finding was back in the day, I never ever had troubles with path finding in the vanilla games ( with TotSC and it's newest patch you could crank it to 400000 nodes) and bg2 had 400000 nodes with enhanced path finding on top, never had a problem

and then the EE's came out and somehow it has gone backwards a bit, I find this incredibly puzzling, I find the path finding to be worse in the EE's than it was in the vanilla, ( never once did my characters get stuck of NOTHING and just stand there picking their nose instead of moving forward, but this happens relatively frequently in the EEs) although I did notice that the path finding in IWD EE is a little better than it is in the BG EE's, so maybe that newer patch has done something to mess with the path finding a bit?
    kjeron said:

Which is incorrect. Thresholds range from 10 to 95 depending on the slot.

I find that hard to believe, considering I ran through majority of the game with flat 50 and managed to get pretty much everything - including a cloak off of Algernon's back and a Morningstar out of an Ogre's hand(unless these are kept in the "inventory" for some reason). And I never managed to steal anything with less than 50 pick pocket.
    SomeSort said:

I could have taken Alora under the old system as a secondary thief. That's one choice. Under the new system, I can still take her as a secondary thief, but I can also take her as a primary thief. That's two choices, which is more than I had before.

This is really more of a fundamental design argument(what do you value more, immersion/roleplaying or having tactical options) but really - if you just want optimal characters, why not simply make an entire party for yourself?
    edited April 2017

Algernon's Cloak is kept in his Quick Item slot. As is the ogre's morning star - they wield an 'Attack' weapon in their main hand instead. The minimum threshold for inventory items seem to be 50. If you want to steal equipped items you need a higher amount. You can argue whether this behavior is better or worse than the original but it is more complicated than '50 Pick Pockets takes all'.

Fair enough. So it's "50 Pick Pockets takes all you could ever want unless you are literally roleplaying a kleptomaniac".
    Skatan said:

Regarding the pickpocketing I see this as the nowadays almost classical fork in the road; if the EE company changes an old issue, they get flak from some ppl who liked that old flaw. If they don't, they are told they haven't really enhanced anything.

It worked for PST:EE, which also "haven't really enhanced anything". Most people's reaction? "Oh thank God Beamdog didn't enhance anything". Surprise surprise, if you sell old games to people who already played them and more often than not already own them, they expect to get the same old game - with some ease-of-use improvements, not seemingly random changes to game mechanics no one ever asked for.
    Pickpocketing was just as in so many other games (everything for Fallout to Skyrim) flawed. It made the skill redundant since you could savescum until you succeded.
    Yeah. Just like you can savescum every fight, every hide in shadows(now THAT is a skill you can abuse with the new nearly-instantenous quickload! Will we get thresholds for that skill too, I wonder?) and even every drop. Sorry, but "but you can savescum it" is not really an argument in any game without ironman mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I liked the old journal better as opposed to the more practical and sleek design they use at the moment, but that's mostly for the aesthetics. There's also a ton of text that never shows up up for me anywhere in the journal at the moment, I'm guessing it's a bug that will be addressed in the next update.

Then there's that engine issue at the moment, where characters sometime end up getting glued to npcs if they collide. That can cause a number of frustrations sometimes, but I assume that will also be addressed in the next update.

I actually like the design of the SoD UI overall, but BG2EE looks a bit odd after the patch unfortunately..:\
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Yeah. Just like you can savescum every fight, every hide in shadows(now THAT is a skill you can abuse with the new nearly-instantenous quickload! Will we get thresholds for that skill too, I wonder?) and even every drop. Sorry, but "but you can savescum it" is not really an argument in any game without ironman mode.

Sure, you could in theory savescum every single roll to enable your mage to crit hit tough opponents to death with his dagger, but during my decades in gaming and forums I have never heard of that. Therefore this statement is exaggerated to the point of being almost comical.

You can indeed save scum hiding, but since you still need move silently to remain hidden you will need to savescum every 6 seconds and get a roll to remain hidden. Same here, during a few decades of playing BG and reading internet forums I have never heard anyone actually do this.

And stating that the increased loading speeds somehow affect this discussion is... well.. I can't even argue against that since it's a moot point.

So, when you are comparing to hiding or fighting I don't see how that is comparable to pickpocketing. I just draw the conclusion that you want to be able to steal from anyone without investing a single point in the skill and you are too lazy to chug a potion of thievery.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Although I've never seen anyone save scum to remain hidden, I have seen a lot of people put all of their points in Move Silently instead of Hide in Shadows, so that when they successfully hid in shadows they would do so almost forever (I've been doing this myself as well, and it's actually very good, because if you pair it with your meta gaming, you don't need to succeed hiding the first time, although it takes quite a lot of time to successfully hide sometimes).

Technically this way you only need to save scum the first roll. But still, as Skatan says if you're realoading you might as well do it all the time. The only way to see if something is balanced is putting it into a no-reload situation (which means pickpocketing without having more than 100% is not gonna happen unless you have RR, TobEx and you're doing it with your Familiar).
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    CrevsDaak said:

But still, as Skatan says if you're realoading you might as well do it all the time. The only way to see if something is balanced is putting it into a no-reload situation

This.
    Skatan said:

if the EE company changes an old issue, they get flak from some ppl who liked that old flaw. If they don't, they are told they haven't really enhanced anything

And this.

Mind you, I'll be the first to say that some EE "improvements" are in fact a big step back from the original (journal, UI, character screens etc.) but it's mostly a question of flavour; and, in my case, being used to certain things working the way the did for the last decade.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    ToB Style level ups is not magical free xp. BG1 basically did the same thing. But with less visible to you for it and more odd and often bad choices that made absolutely no sense in what you got. You could argue a certain crazy gnome taking a rather odd weapon choice as fitting. i'm ok with this middle ground of not getting the bad pips and still being able to "quick level" some of my group. But at this point I can't get the right timing to actually "over level" one or more of my group mates by picking them up at the right time that it actually gave me the 1 level higher version.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    This confuses me. I thought H/MS was always an average score of both, whether hiding or moving.
    CrevsDaak said:

Although I've never seen anyone save scum to remain hidden, I have seen a lot of people put all of their points in Move Silently instead of Hide in Shadows, so that when they successfully hid in shadows they would do so almost forever (I've been doing this myself as well, and it's actually very good, because if you pair it with your meta gaming, you don't need to succeed hiding the first time, although it takes quite a lot of time to successfully hide sometimes).

Technically this way you only need to save scum the first roll. But still, as Skatan says if you're realoading you might as well do it all the time. The only way to see if something is balanced is putting it into a no-reload situation (which means pickpocketing without having more than 100% is not gonna happen unless you have RR, TobEx and you're doing it with your Familiar).

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Skatan said:

Sure, you could in theory savescum every single roll to enable your mage to crit hit tough opponents to death with his dagger

That...actually sounds pretty awesome to me. Boring in practice, but awesome in amusement.
    edited April 2017
    Skatan said:

You can indeed save scum hiding, but since you still need move silently to remain hidden you will need to savescum every 6 seconds and get a roll to remain hidden.

The re-hide checks are not every 6 seconds. More like 30 seconds. One successful Hide in Shadows is enough to do pretty much anything you could ever want to do by hiding in shadows.
    Same here, during a few decades of playing BG and reading internet forums I have never heard anyone actually do this.
    Because before Enhanced Edition, it took about the same time(if not longer) to reload the game as the failed Hide in Shadow cooldown, which is one round, or 6 seconds. Now the game reloads in one. Therefore it's six times faster to quickload on a failed Hide in Shadows than it is to wait the regular 6 seconds before you can try again.

This makes Hide in Shadows/Move Silently skills in Enhanced Edition basically as "irrelevant" as pre-EE Pickpocket skill level.
    Sure, you could in theory savescum every single roll to enable your mage to crit hit tough opponents to death with his dagger, but during my decades in gaming and forums I have never heard of that. Therefore this statement is exaggerated to the point of being almost comical.
    Well then, why did you exaggerate it to the point of being almost comical? Have you never reloaded a fight after losing a party member, or getting particularly unlucky with crits, or simply when most of your party is feared/confused/held and you know you cannot win anyway?
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I'm personally happy with being able to level up the characters yourself TOB style. Every NPC had garbage hp rolls and really bad weapon picks. I'd never advocate going back. Immersion is subjective and it's not like you couldn't easily get yourself to level 5-6 in the original game and pick them up to give yourself easy exp as you say.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

This is really more of a fundamental design argument(what do you value more, immersion/roleplaying or having tactical options) but really - if you just want optimal characters, why not simply make an entire party for yourself?

This is a false dichotomy. I don't want optimal characters, I want flexible characters. Sometimes I will use that flexibility in optimal ways. Sometimes I will use it in non-optimal ways.

Mazzy is a great example of this, since she's basically a blank slate; her GM in shortbows gives you something to use while you develop her, and her one proficiency pip in Short Swords (if you rush to get her at level 8) simply lets you wield Kundane in the off-hand without penalty. After that, you can build her however you want.

At one point or another in BG2, I've had Mazzy wielding Staff of the Ram, Ixil's Spike, Ravager, Foebane, Flail of Ages +5, Axe of the Unyielding, Crom Faeyr, Firetooth (crossbow), Fire Tooth (throwing dagger), and in one of my current runs, Club of Detonation (!) as her end-game weapon, (along with Red Dragon Scale and such to make her immune to fire and a pyromaniac mage backing her up). Probably more that I've forgotten.

She's gotten 2-handed weapon style, 2-weapon style, single-weapon style, and I've even given her pips in Sword and Shield style. I rarely give her the same weapon twice, and the desire to complete the whole cycle with her gives me motivation to keep bringing her along.

Some of those choices were decidedly non-optimal. But having the choice makes her much more interesting than if they'd used all of her early pips to give her Grandmastery in Flails or something and you'd just be using those all game with her. Even then there's always the possibility to recruit her at level 8 and have up to 32 more level-ups to train her as you see fit.

Also, none of those choices really broke my immersion with her. In all runs, she was still a LG Halfling Truesword of Avoreen spreading justice through the realms. The shortbow pips certainly give her a unique flavor, but at the end of the day, her weapons don't make her who she is.

SomeSort said:

If Beamdog introduced a menu that I could activate when starting a new game and assign kits to some of the characters, I think that would be amazing. Kivan should definitely be an archer, Faldorn has Avenger written all over her. If Garrick was a Skald I'd actually bring him with me from time to time. This sounds amazing.

*ahem*
    iPad woes, I'm afraid. :expressionless:
    Aerakar said:

This confuses me. I thought H/MS was always an average score of both, whether hiding or moving.

I know I have seen this confirmed by the devs at some point, but I cannot remember where. HiS and MS are functionally identical and the game just takes your averaged score for all purposes.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited April 2017
    SomeSort said:

Aerakar said:

I know I have seen this confirmed by the devs at some point, but I cannot remember where. HiS and MS are functionally identical and the game just takes your averaged score for all purposes.
    Confirmed, yes. We looked at the code and it's just an average of the two scores. (That was a couple years ago when I was still working on them)