Skip to content

Can't find Robe of Red Flames

islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
edited May 2017 in Troubleshooting
I do have the following global variables:
BD_HAVE_SOD --- 1
BD_SOD_IMPORT_03 --- 2, this number was initially 1 at the beginning of BG2EE, then changed to 2 but I'm not aware of when, same thing happens to three other variables: BD_SOD_IMPORT_06(Helmet of Dumathoin), BD_SOD_IMPORT_08(Biter +2) and BD_SOD_IMPORT_10(Buckler of the Fist +2)

From what I read, the robe should be Edwin's starting equipment, but he still wears traveler's robe when he joins. Another weird thing is if I tell him to wait at the Copper Coronet after receiving the Mae'Var strongbox key, he'll have another when I find him there.
I don't know if it's a bug or a SCS thing.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It's a SoD bug, not SCS - see discussion https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61783/where-can-i-find-biter-2-in-bg2ee.

FWIW, BG_SOD_IMPORT_03 would have incremented to 2 when you first met Edwin.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @Gallowglass does Edwin have no cloak at all when you try this?
    & do you ever visit AR0304 (top of thieves guild) when he is there but inactive
    (Spoken to Mae'Var but not handed over initial item to be told about Edwin)

i.e. as below;

1 Load the attached save.
    2 Send Yoshimo upstairs.
    3 Select the main character (1) and speak to Mae'Var (Enter x4).
    4 Select Yoshimo (2).
    5 Force Edwin into the party (Ctrl/Q).
    6 Open Edwin's Inventory.

Edwin has no robe.
    Doing step 2 after step 3 sees Edwin have the robe.
    Gate70 said:

@Gallowglass does Edwin have no cloak at all when you try this?

He always has an Adventurer's Robe, not no robe.
    Gate70 said:

& do you ever visit AR0304 (top of thieves guild) when he is there but inactive

No, I've never done that.

Sometimes I loot containers on every floor of the Guildhouse before heading downstairs to meet Mae'Var (so AR0304 has been visited before Edwin is present), then I speak to Mae'Var and get his initial task (to rob the Talassans or Lathandrists) and complete it and report back to Mae'Var afterwards, before again visiting AR0304 to meet Edwin.

Other times (including my current run) I go directly to meet Mae'Var before exploring the rest of his Guildhouse, and complete his initial task as before, then (after reporting back to Mae'Var) loot the containers in the Guildhouse on my way to the first meeting with Edwin.

So no, either way I do it, I've never seen the inactive Edwin waiting for completion of Mae'Var's initial task. I didn't even know that Edwin materialises before you report back to Mae'Var.
    Gate70 said:

... i.e. as below;

1 Load the attached save.
    2 Send Yoshimo upstairs.
    3 Select the main character (1) and speak to Mae'Var (Enter x4).
    4 Select Yoshimo (2).
    5 Force Edwin into the party (Ctrl/Q).
    6 Open Edwin's Inventory.

Edwin has no robe.
    Doing step 2 after step 3 sees Edwin have the robe.

Okay, I downloaded the example game and followed your instructions, both ways. And yes, in one case he has the Robe of Red Flames, and in the other case he has no robe at all, as you say. Interesting - in this example, evidently the replace-Edwin's-robe script is running, in one case replacing it with nothing and in the other with the Robe of Red Flames.

However, as explained above, this isn't the same as what happens to me in every run. I haven't visited Edwin's room while he is present-but-inactive, and yet he has always been wearing the Adventurer's Robe instead of the Robe of Red Flames when I meet him.

On the other hand, I've reinstalled the game since I was last at that point in the game, so conceivably I had a glitch which may have been fixed by reinstallation. My current run is still in progress (I'm just coming to the end of SoA, but all of ToB yet to go), so it'll be a while before I get back to the point of recruiting Edwin in my next run.

On the third hand (!), the fact that @islandking is reporting (what seems to be) the same issue surely makes it less likely that this is merely some weird one-off glitch in my (previous) install.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited May 2017
    @Gallowglass I was suspecting a mod behavior because SCS did add some potions to some enemies.
    Should we post this in the bug reporting site (since it's been moved here so dev may have already been aware of this bug)?
    If you visit AR0304, he is there but de-activated. Just because you don't see him doesn't mean he's not there and had equipment changed. He'd show up in any save at that point.

In your next run could you make two saves that we can check if the issue happens again.
    * The very first time you visit AR0304 regardless of whether you can see him.
    * Just before you recruit him.

From your descriptions of the issue, it sounds as if the robe is being added to e.g. Edwin7 (level 7) but by the time you recruit him, your xp has changed enough to replace that instance with e.g. Edwin9 who would have the default robe.
    Thanks
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    @Gate70
    Could be the case, because I did visit the third floor before talking to the basement guy, but should this be considered a bug and worth a report on that site or it's been already noted & will be fixed in the upcoming patch?
    Right, try this save to see how it behaves on your installs.

Enter the Copper Coronet, recruit Edwin. Note he has the imported robe.
    Reload
    Level both party members up.
    Enter the Copper Coronet, recruit Edwin. Note he has his original robe.
    edited May 2017
    You would need to report as per https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs (although I think Redmine may be unavailable at present)

I'd then link it up to any internal report(s).
    Thanks
    Gate70 said:

From your descriptions of the issue, it sounds as if the robe is being added to e.g. Edwin7 (level 7) but by the time you recruit him, your xp has changed enough to replace that instance with e.g. Edwin9 who would have the default robe.

AHA! Yes, that's a very plausible suggestion. I often have a multiplicity of things happening (timed events triggering, etc.) around that stage of the game, so I may well gain quite a lot of XP between starting and finishing the Mae'Var questline. You may have cracked it!
    Gate70 said:

Right, try this save to see how it behaves on your installs.

Enter the Copper Coronet, recruit Edwin. Note he has the imported robe.
    Reload
    Level both party members up.
    Enter the Copper Coronet, recruit Edwin. Note he has his original robe.

Done. Yes, that works as you predict in both cases.
    Gate70 said:

In your next run could you make two saves that we can check if the issue happens again.
    * The very first time you visit AR0304 regardless of whether you can see him.
    * Just before you recruit him.

Wilco. However, it'll probably be at least a couple of months before I get to that point again ... or if I have my first go at PsTee before running BG again (which is what I've been intending to do), then probably longer than that.