Skip to content

Didn't IWD used to be harder?

Last time I played was from the CD version, around 2005 I think. I might not remember much, but I distinctly recall feelings of frustration that the game just isn't giving me at the moment. Maybe it was harder, or maybe I was just very bad at the game back then?
Kenji

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited May 2017
    yes, it was significantly harder because of a lack of bg-specific mechanics, kits and spells which permits for more tactical freedom. there are some new items too.
    however nothing has been made more difficult to counterbalance this.

edit: there's a more detailed explanation here ("difficulty comparison") https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2016/12/Icewind-Dale-Enhanced-Edition-Review.html
    Lilurarede9Quartz
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Can't agree more with you @SomeSort. That's exactly how I'm playing IWD right now, aka Insane difficulty, no damage bonus for enemies, no bonus XP. Plus, no kits, no Sorcerers, no weapon style, and no reallocation of stats on character creation (as many roll as I want though). Also, just for bonus, no reload : I missed learning Invisibility with my bard, so my cleric/thief can't backstab effectively, because she's invested her points in traps and locks. Since scrolls are hard to find in IWD, that miss has a real consequence on my playthrough.

Let just say that, played that way, IWD is much harder than if you go in it with min-max Dwarven Defenders, Sorcerers and Archers.
    Gate70JuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @unavailable if you're interested, I made a mega mod for IWD ( and it effects How and ToTLM ) which completely revamps the whole game and one of the major features of the mod I made was that the difficulty not only dictates tougher enemies on higher difficulties but on higher difficulties enemies will use better spells, items and abilities

the only down side is that I didn't make a weidu version for it, so if you have other mods you will have to install them over top of mine ( since my mod is just a copy paste to the override folder )
    JuliusBorisov
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited May 2017
    sarevok57 said:

@unavailable if you're interested, I made a mega mod for IWD ( and it effects How and ToTLM ) which completely revamps the whole game and one of the major features of the mod I made was that the difficulty not only dictates tougher enemies on higher difficulties but on higher difficulties enemies will use better spells, items and abilities

the only down side is that I didn't make a weidu version for it, so if you have other mods you will have to install them over top of mine ( since my mod is just a copy paste to the override folder )

I might want to restart for this... I'm about to go to dragons eye... how much have I completed so far?
    SomeSort said:

Yeah, if you avoid all the BG-specific stuff that got added when the engines were merged, the game will become more difficult again. No kits, no weapon styles, none of the new spells, etc. (Actually, this should make it even harder than pre-EE IWD was, because the 3rd-level haste spell was heavily nerfed in the transition. Haste used to double APR for everyone, now it just adds +1 APR for everyone like it did in BG2.)

Also, difficulty has always ebbed and flowed in IWD. If you're in the Vale of Shadows or the Severed Hand, it's no surprise that things aren't feeling very tough. If you're in Dragon's Eye or Dorn's Deep and things still feel easy... well then, the game has gotten substantially easier for you, because those sections were *hard* in the original.

The best part of Icewind Dale, in my opinion, is just how cool and tactical the spawns become when you set the difficulty to Insane. That should help alleviate your boredom, just make sure you turn off the bonus XP option so you don't wind up overleveled for the content (and find the game getting easy again). If going to insane makes things *too* hard, you can turn off the damage bonus on the enemies, too.

(That's actually my favorite way to play IWD: Insane difficulty, no damage bonus for enemies, no bonus XP. You're basically just getting the better spawns, which make the game much more tactical.)

I think I'm playing fairly enough. Most of us are multiclasses, only arcane casters are a bard (pure) f/m and f/m/t. Three of us are dual weilding, one of us has a pip in 2h style for the crit chance bonus our only kit is an undead hunter. There are many ways of varying the difficulty besides the exp and damage scaling, both of which I have turned on. If things get too easy, I will lower some attributes with ee keeper. I haven't really had to try my best since that one corner in the south west of the first bandit cave with the 4 ogres, and what might have been 7 or 8 orcs with mixed ranged and melee. I've not used a lot of magic spells since then.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited May 2017

I'm about to go to dragons eye... I haven't really had to try my best since that one corner in the south west of the first bandit cave with the 4 ogres, and what might have been 7 or 8 orcs with mixed ranged and melee. I've not used a lot of magic spells since then.

If you'll forgive my selective editing, I think this is perhaps a large part of it. The section from the Ogre cave to Dragon's Eye is one of the easier sections of the game. I'd recommend trying to play through Dragon's Eye first and seeing if things were still easy before restarting or changing things, because Dragon's Eye is much more punishing than the Vale of Shadows. (Well, level 1 is kind of a cakewalk, but level 2-5 is one of the toughest stretches in the game.)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    An undead hunter kit and three dual wielders are *enormous* bonuses in power over the original game. There were no undead hunters and dual wielding didn't exist.
  • vayperskivayperski Member Posts: 3

dual wielding didn't exist.

There was a little known ability that rangers had that enabled them to get an extra attack if they used 2 1-handers in both their weapon slots (or 2 adjacent weapons slots, if they had 3 - can't remember)

This was specifically put in the game to simulate two weapon fighting.

So yeah...it kinda existed, for one class :smile:
    semiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    vayperski said:

There was a little known ability that rangers had that enabled them to get an extra attack if they used 2 1-handers in both their weapon slots (or 2 adjacent weapons slots, if they had 3 - can't remember)

I though it was as long as they used a one handed weapon and had no shield.
    semiticgoddessArdul
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ThacoBell said:

vayperski said:

Iirc, it was as long as you used a slashing weapon and no shield. Rangers could easily lead at low levels because of this. Pretty sure I used two-handed weapons w/ the bonus too.
    Quartzsemiticgoddess
  • vayperskivayperski Member Posts: 3
    ThacoBell said:

Could be; can't say for certain I remember the details right after all these years.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It worked for staffs as well as swords. It made Rangers the best damage dealers by far in the pre-EE games.