Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    @The_New_Romance I dont believe they will use D&D ruleset. As a player I would love them to, but I'am guessing WotC charges alot and devs see it as a limit to their creativity...

From hearing Josh talk I couldnt help feeling that a great game is shaping up. I think it'll be a "spiritual bg3" only because these guys were there, and know these games really well, no doubt will use ideas from BG but also Icewind and Plane. But the races will be different and so will the world.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The challenge isn't in writing the characters. The challenge is in writing the characters in such a way that they fit into the story, have full growth and development with each of the other characters and the protagonist, and draw the player's attention in such a way that the player wants to recruit them.

In any case, just because they haven't said they're going to increase that number doesn't mean they won't decide to increase it later. I'd rather they set achievable goals than try to shoot the moon and miss.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'd rather up to 8 party members in the game that have great dialogue and interactions with fleshed out back stories than up to 20+ party members where you don't see nearly half of them by the end of the game, ala BG1.
    Hiro_Protagonist
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    I'm proud to pledge money to this. I prefer Obsidian's storylines to any other development studio out there. Chris Avellone has a knack for writing really engaging narratives.
    AntonKhamillDiscoCatBugrat
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    I've never really been impressed by Obsidian's games. Count me out, especially with a release date of 2014? Almost a year and a half from now??? I wanted to be excited but $25 up front, wait a year and half, and to be made by a sub-par team makes me really wonder - especially without a significant amount of work already done.

I number among the nay-sayers!
    Hoebagger
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Maybe I'll pre-order it closer to release if it gets made. Maybe this will be the first Obsidian game that isn't more buggy than an ant hill.

Though I doubt it.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    I'll Pledge $25 as well, It will be great to play something new, and 2014 doesnt bother me at all, its accually better, at least there is a time to play both BG1 & BG2( considering it will be released in first half of 2013) enhanced editions....sweet:)
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Backers
    $1,572,777
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

Closing in on the next milestone... 1.6 mil
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Pledged 35$. I believe Obsidian can do a great job if given the freedom to do it the way they want to without outside interference + they have the highest concentration of Black Isle employees who've probably just been waiting for an opportunity like this. Bring it on.
    I might bump up my pledge to 35 as well for the soundtrack. But I managed to get into that $20 bracket early, and I kind of don't want to lose that... ;)
    Well, writing six or seven characters that are deep and interesting and relevant to the plot is one thing.

Writing twenty characters that are deep and interesting and relevant to the plot is entirely another. Not because people aren't creative, but because there's only so many ways that a new character can enter the story without feeling like a cliche. Even Quayle and Tiax, although rather different personalities, are basically the same concept: mad wizard wants to join your group, but is kind of disinterested in whatever it is your group is up to at the moment.

That doesn't mean either of them is a bad character, but it does mean that conceptually they're rather unoriginal.

I would much rather see eight fully fleshed out characters that can stand on their own both in the story and in the world as a whole, than twenty characters that kind of blend together.
    [Deleted User]
    1.6 million goal reached. Great stuff.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Sounds good. I hope they get it right this time, lol.

I remember how excited the NWN PW community was about Feargus being involved with NWN (a community I was very active with years ago), and how hyped it was prior to release. I also remember what a letdown that game ultimately was for me. (And for that matter the actual PW gameplay experience, to be totally honest; although I greatly enjoyed the world-building and community aspects of those projects.)

This makes me feel all the more that what I would most like to see for BG3 is to take the venerable Infinity engine and use it once more to create a brand new epic adventure that at least has a respectable tie-in to the original Bhaalspawn story. I realize that the lost source artwork and the way the game was originally coded makes that a non-starter. But strictly in terms of the gameplay experience itself, that's what I would most want to see. I mean, as long as they could cobble together new areas from what they already have, and blend in new animations from newly rendered art, I'd be very happy with something like that. For me that's what would make it "BG3" more than anything,

I mean, I realize BG3 will not be that. But that's what I would most like.

Project Eternity sounds like stiff competition for BG3. And the game will likely already be released by the time BG3 gets released, as they clearly have the headstart. One draw that BG3 will have is the familiar and beloved Forgotten Realms setting, though, I would think.
    Zinodin
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Competition is healthy, but the thing I'm seeing is: Two talented studios gives me more vidajamagames to buy so I can play them at the same time! Romance TWO at the same time, and the other one doesn't have to know because the new romance is another universe all together ;) And if I have a girlfriend at the time BG III and PE are out, she can't get jealous because they're only fictional >:3

As Charlie Sheen said: "I'll tell you what it really is. WINNING!"
    seekaKhamill
    Yeah, it's actually a synergistic kind of effect, come to think of it. If both game's are good, one sort of whets the appetite for the other. Gamers will buy both if they're well designed and fun to play. Variety is good.
    Zinodin
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Looks cool..really wish it was D&D ruleset & set in the realms though :(
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    edited September 2012
    Actually Zin, if we get both, 'we win here, we win there, we're bi-winning' :)
    seeka
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I do not plan to contribute. I don't like the commercialized 'Spend 20 and get this, spend 60 and get this' philosophy. I'll wait until it comes out.

Seems fishy man.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    This is a great opportunity for Obsidian to prove the haters wrong and put out a masterful game when not under the constraints of publishers forcing timetables or other compromises.
    Or it's a great opportunity to prove the haters right.

But I'm optimistic. It seems like they've got some good ideas going.
    Ward said:

I do not plan to contribute. I don't like the commercialized 'Spend 20 and get this, spend 60 and get this' philosophy. I'll wait until it comes out.

Seems fishy man.

Isn't that what has always happened? Different tiers for different people. In the past, it's usually been two tiers. A normal version and a Collectors Edition. I bought the BG2 CE when it came out because I wanted all the extra stuff. I still have my BG2 CE in mint condition. Similar with the IWD2 Adventure Pack.

This just gives people more choices when you have different tiers. Some people don't want a boxed CE. Some only want a digital download so they'll pay less. Different tiers for different people.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278

So very tempted to pledge $1,000 just so I can design a decent NPC :)

Edit: he would basically look like me, sound like me, act like me and be totally awesome, just like me.

A person who designs an awesome NPC, is an awesome person in my world ;).
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    @Aosaw Yes, I really like the idea of drawing energy from soul as magic egsistance.
    Sounds like it delves a little deeper into the mystical aspects of how magic might actually work.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Backers
    $1,788,528
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

Only $11,472 to $1.8 mil! New playable race, class, and companion! Come on, let's get there!
    I full expect this project to meet all of its current stretch goals.