Skip to content

Two unrelated questions. Archers and Zoom Levels

How good is an archer for a trilogy playthrough... Tips? Can they dual class? .. Also unrelated but do most people lock zoom level or play zoomed far out? Just looking for most peoples preference I guess.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2017
    cbarker15 said:

How good is an archer for a trilogy playthrough... Tips?

Terrific for BG1ee + SoD, still pretty strong in BG2ee:SoA, not so great (but still viable) in BG2ee:ToB.

The thing to bear in mind for remaining viable in ToB is that Longbows don't have good enough ammo to tackle some of the major ToB enemies, so you should build proficiency in Shortbows or Crossbows (or indeed Slings), even though you're probably better off with Longbows in the earlier stages of the saga. (Fortunately, there are enough proficiency points available during a full run to start with Longbows in BG1 and build that to Grandmastery by early-SoA, and then start building up an alternative ranged weapon during SoA to be competent in time for ToB.)
    cbarker15 said:

Can they dual class?

In earlier versions, no, but the EEs have now removed that restriction, so yes. However, bear in mind that the only dual-class option available to any Ranger (or Ranger kit) is to Cleric - not Mage or Thief.
    cbarker15 said:

Also unrelated but do most people lock zoom level or play zoomed far out? Just looking for most peoples preference I guess.

I don't know. At a guess, I'd suspect that most people go along with default settings. I find the default zoom level fine for most purposes, but YMMV ... it probably depends what equipment you're playing on.
  • cbarker15cbarker15 Member Posts: 38
    @Gallowglass damn on the dual classing.. Probably just use ee keeper.. I want an arcane archer.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Archer >> everything said by @Gallowglass. Just to add my very personal view - when it comes to ToB and the high level stuff, any class was fine for me as it all depends on the mix of your party (at least if you always include mods like Ascension and Wheels which for me are kind of vanilla contents, just left out of the original game due to time constraints by the developpers). Your choice of class/kit should be guided by your preferences for BG1 and first half of BG2.

Zoom >> I played more than a decade in the old BG game, with no zoom available. It took me a bit of re-adjusting my style but today I use it frequently to scale my view to the situation I'm in. In older times I often switched between area map view and game view, now I just quickly zoom in or out.
    In the same league - the option to see inventory dropped on the ground, players who spend game hours looting old style will know how GOOD this really is (Remember searching 20 dead hobgoblins to find the one carrying a useful scroll?). Same for the shading of party members when you pick up inventory items and it tells you who can use it or not. Don't say oldtimers can't change, they can really value those nice little improvements.
    cbarker15 said:

@Gallowglass damn on the dual classing.. Probably just use ee keeper.. I want an arcane archer.

That's tough luck, pretty much. The game-engine understands only the class combinations which exist as legitimate multi-class (or dual-class) options. This is a hard-coded limitation which you can't get around with EEkeeper, so you can't have a true arcane archer.

Perhaps you could manually add arcane spells to a pure Archer with EEkeeper, but the levelling would continue as a pure Archer (i.e. much too fast for a multi-class) and you'd continually have to add arcane abilities anew as you levelled ... and what you'd end up with would be all the advantages of a pure Archer with major additional (illegal) abilities on top. So no, that's just silly cheating.
    Lol wow.. good thing I have another playthrough I can continue.. I just wasted two hours playing with an archer for no reason.
    @cbarker15 - oh, no need to regard it as "wasted". Nothing wrong with a pure Archer, it's a very good kit!

Also, Archer->Cleric isn't necessarily an unworkable dual, but of course it'll be subject to the Cleric weapon restrictions, so no Bows etc. Therefore it only makes sense if you start the Archer with only Slings/Blunt weapons, else your proficiencies would be wasted after dualling. Thus, one way to make sensible use of the dual-classing option is to dual fairly early and play mostly as if you're a straight Cleric, except with a second point in your Sling and full-power dual-wielding (neither of which an ordinary Cleric would have).

If you've already started your Archer with Bows etc. (as one usually would), then you've pretty much locked yourself into a pure-Archer run ... but as I said, that's fine, it's a good kit.
    I've ran through BG1 and SOD with a pure archer already... that's why I'm dissapointed.. I decided to just go with fighter/mage and put two points in archery.. probably ee keeper more when I lvl up instead of using the points "legally".. Seems like a legit solution.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    cbarker15 said:

Lol wow.. good thing I have another playthrough I can continue.. I just wasted two hours playing with an archer for no reason.

No, it wasn't wasted. I found the archer to be fun, and by the time you hit chapter 2 in SoA you'll be a flipping machine gun. Don't forget that you also get two pips in dual-wield, which can be Nice. Each class, kit, multi, and dual has a point where they excel and a point where they lag. Don't worry about it and have fun.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @cbarker15, there is always this mod for an Arcane Archer by @Artemius_I:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/52606/kit-arcane-archer-redone-fighter-kit-v1-3

So far as the second Q goes, I play with zoom unlocked to allow for zooming whenever.

Gus
    @Gusinda I'll try it.. but I'm wary because I tried to install a ton of kit mods and none of them worked and I'm not computer savy so I gave up but I'll try this out.. thanks.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Since the Archer question is already dealt with I'll just say that I zoom in and out all the time. I don't have any preferred zooming level since I continuously change it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I usually play zoomed out two clicks of my mouse wheel from the default.