Skip to content

Has Beamdog hidden/lost rights/deleted casting sounds for Baldurs Gate series?

Kind of a strange topic I know,

However coming across this youtube link comparing the Gorion death scene, can you tell that the casting sounds for both are entirely different?

Are these able to be restored or unlocked somehow in the EE games?

I sort of prefer the older casting sounds from the originals. I don't know if they are in the game files and can just be overridden - does anyone know?
OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    lunar said:
    Legend!

Thankyou I've been looking for this - however it only seems to be for BG 1 is there a way to use this mod for BG2? When I try and install it, it just says "skipping" and exits the install.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2017
    Just drop the sound files into override folder. (create override folder in your main game folder if you need) It works for me. Spellcasting sounds begin with CHA, for example. CHA_FM0x means female mage and the x number is the corresponding school. CHA_MP01 is the male priest chating for abjuration school, for example.

You can also drop other sound files too, if you prefer them. BG1:ee already has all the other sound files, bg2 ones are different.
    JuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I have read about people discussing the different sounds before.
    But that whole fight looked changed?

Much more dramatic in the original I think.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8060/mod-original-casting-sounds#latest

The page on here gives a little more comparison to each class of spells, both male and female.
    JuliusBorisovlunarCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    ThacoBell said:

the EE version casts a variety of spells

There are indeed additional spells being cast in EE.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of the special sound effects (other than casting sound voices themselves) changed from the original to the now EEv2.3 BG? Things like spell effects, explosions, weapons clanging, etc.etc. Can't really recall it's been so long.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,364
    Zaghoul said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of the special sound effects (other than casting sound voices themselves) changed from the original to the now EEv2.3 BG? Things like spell effects, explosions, weapons clanging, etc.etc. Can't really recall it's been so long.

Truth to tell, I haven't played original Baldur's Gate since BGT was released over a decade ago. Switching discs and long loading times between areas became intolerable last time I gave it a go.
    CrevsDaak
    @Balrog99 Oh lawd, seems like I do remember THAT part. :s
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2017
    Swapping disks is the whole charm of bg1 vanilla. To me it always indicated significant progression through the game. It made me feel awesome. I like it there and sometimes I miss it even.
    In bg2 the swapping made no sense as it was not along the progression of the chapters but random outdoor areas. It made me install the full resources just to not have that happen. And my pc did not have much space back then, so there went the documents from school into the trash can ;).

Bgt was great but I could not play it until I finally got a decent pc...

Back in topic, i love the old bg1 casting sounds. I will sincerely consider this mod.
    CrevsDaakGreenWarlock
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2017
    Zaghoul said:

BG1 ee and BG2 ee use different sounds for weapon swings, armor hits, inventory management, armor walks, spell explosion and special sounds, etc. Bg1 ee uses bg1 sounds, which are a bit louder than bg2 ones.Bg2:ee uses Bg2 ones which are a bit more subtle. For example in bg1 a fireball explosion sounds like a loud 'booooom!' and crackling fires, in bg2 it is more like a 'whoosh!' In bg1, walking around in leather armor makes you squeak all over, in bg2 it is more like a barely noticable flapping sound. Generally speaking, bg2 ones are easier to the ears and less distracting, bg1 ones are louder and more atmospheric but may be a tad cruder and annoying.

They only share the casting sounds, they both use the faux latin instead of original bg1's 'hadouken! hadooouken!' sonorious chants.

You can mix-mash sounds as you like, for example I use mostly bg1 combat-spell sounds (bow drawing and crossbow firing sounds are wonderful in bg1, lacking in bg2.) with a select few bg2 ones added in (they are too loud and horrible in bg1) inventory sounds I use bg2 ones which are way better IMHO, but also I took the walking step sounds from iwd, which are totally different and a bit more pleasing IMHO. In armor walking sounds I am unsure, I used a mix from both games, so my leather clad character used to squeak a bit and then sometimes flap a bit, lol. Then in a re-install I got bored and got bg1 ones instead of sorting out. Casting sounds wise, iwd uses faux latin too but has hugely different back ground swirling enrgy sounds durng casting, which are too loud for my ears.
    ZaghoulCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the improvement seen in this scene is probably my favourite work done by the team
    JuliusBorisovelminsterKilivitz