Skip to content

Mod: Original casting sounds

AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
edited November 2018 in General Modding
Hey folks,

here is another one: The original legacy casting sounds from the good old Baldurs Gate 1!

Just copy the unzipped "override" folder into your "00766" directory - that's it: more evil casting voices for wizards & clerics ;)

Have fun!
Post edited by Tresset on
SpaceInvaderDrugarSpjuv3rnSanctiferPeccahansoloMortiannaBortaz[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovalnairCrevsDaakGloomfrostSCARY_WIZARDSorrowSeerTressetdstoltzfuscaptainsavvyRavenslightZaghoulBlackravenGrammarsaladProontDrakonWormkingDark_Ansem

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Holy, who are you and why are you doing these good things!?
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    Hehe hey ward :)
    Thank you very much, ever since Baldurs Gate 1 came out I did some modding here and there, but I never released my stuff.

Anyway, I'm so glad that Baldurs Gate EE is here and I just want to share some little bits and bobs in case somebody is interested.

Have fun with Baldurs Gate :)
    MortiannaRavenslight
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Akuro I would give you 100 likes right now if I could!
    AkuroCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovRelSundan
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    @Akuro

Definitely awesome. Thanks for this. I enjoy the older casting sounds as well.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Akuro: is there also a way to download the file without the download software from the site you uploaded it to?
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    @Phyrax Try in the link above: the smallest download button in the center looks like that: image
    Akuro
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited April 2013
    @Grieg: that is indeed a very small button. I pressed all the others and only got the ilivid-program.

No I have them!

Thanks!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I can't believe I just now found this thread. Thank you for putting these together @Akuro! The original casting sounds are so much more "magical" sounding than the BG2 Latin versions.
    AkuroCrevsDaakdstoltzfusJuliusBorisov
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    can someone make a small video preview of those?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Does this mod work with BGEE 1.3?
    @Aedan Yes. It will work on both BG1:EE and BG2:EE. It is a very simple mod that just replaces the casing sounds that already exist in the game, whatever those may be. I do not foresee this mod ever becoming incompatible with either BG1:EE or BG2:EE.
    AedanJuliusBorisov
    @Tresset
    Thanks. I wanted to be sure because I am working on a mod list for Italian players: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16100/elenco-dei-mod-compatibili-con-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/p1
    Again, thanks a lot.
    Tresset
    @Akuro I edited your post here so that it has a copy of your mod uploaded to these forums. I noticed some people were having trouble with the mirror so hopefully this will help out.
    AedanRavenslight[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Thanks @Akuro . Awww snap, Awesome. Never did like to hear latin unless it was in a medieval or renaissance setting on Earth. Forgotten Realms AIN'T.
    Here is a good preview if anyone is interested before changing settings. Turn that volume UP, baby!

BlackravenJuliusBorisovProont
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    That's very nice. One of the little things that made BG great back in its day. And this is good for just playing, but for modders it's another opportunity: make your own casting animations. Every regular animation - Illusion etc. - comes with a BAM and a voice-over chant attached. If you select "None" in Near Infinity, then the character waves his hands silently. No glow, no chant. Well, it should be possible to use opcode 215, Play Visual Effect, put in the Global Effects of the spell, so a BAM of your choice begins to play by the character as soon as the hand-waving starts. You can probably position it correctly in VVC settings. And now that we have the voice-overs for all of the spell schools, we can set up a Play Sound as well, with the chanting. So if you want to make, e.g., some special Necromancy spells with a different glow, like a skull, and with sound, you should be able to.
    @chimeric That's an interesting idea, throws in a bit of extra work but small details can really make a difference.
    It reminds me of 1st ed AD&D (I supposes others had it as well) where each spell had different components. They were broken down into Verbal, Somatic, and material. So we had some with just verbal and no somatic(hand gestures), then the opposite(no verbal). The material component would be alot tougher but from what you mentioned the first two would not, esp. if you the ability shut off, verbal and somatic already exists in a way.
    Not somatic. The gestures are just for show in these games. And there are no situations when the gestures/no gestures distinction comes in. If you're entangled or greased, you're slowed or stopped but your hands are still free to cast spells. If you're held, then "rigidly immobile" means you can't move a muscle, so that goes for all of the components. We really only have the verbal component in the games, and Vocalize can be cast without even that.

I don't know if my idea about different glows actually works. The trick may be in orienting the glow so it's in front of the character in the direction he faces. And material components - well, it's great stuff for live play. A quest for guano, heh heh heh. "Squeeze those bats! Pitch the stuff with the sword blades! Fill the helmets! Use your 18/00 Strength! I want it all!" But in computer games forcing people to look for this kind of stuff ends up as just a hassle. Though I do remember I had a good time with black pearls for Energy Bolt in Ultima Online, but they weren't so hard to come by.

@chimeric Ahh, got so if a spell did not have a somatic component( say commands, or power words), the waving hand gesture could NOT be turned off. Sounds like it is just part of the casting process. Just clarifying.
    In PnP it's a matter of components. For the Power Words, to say "Kill" is enough and its pretty impressive, as Tasselhof Burrfoot once remarked. In fact, that's all it takes - there isn't even any incantation! And for these games and their engine the somatic component is just something required by the engine for everything. Any special ability uses at least a little gesturing, even if it's psychic. You can turn off the glows - and the chanting with them - but not the hand-waving.

And I just discovered some pretty fun stuff working out a new casting glow. Should be a surprise for when my Illusions pack comes out!

New glows can be anything. The only setback is, new glows aren't going to be interrupted if the casting is. They'll still play to the end. But do the old glows stop short? Or do they play out also? I think so! I seem to remember them playing out even over a corpse! Who can tell for sure? The voice-over gets cut off for certain, which is what this thread is about, after all! With a custom glow in combination with Play Sound the sound will play even after the spell fails.
    @chimeric I was just checking it, the casting colors did indeed seem to 'play through' even when the spell is interrupted.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    chimeric said:

In PnP it's a matter of components. For the Power Words, to say "Kill" is enough and its pretty impressive, as Tasselhof Burrfoot once remarked. In fact, that's all it takes - there isn't even any incantation! And for these games and their engine the somatic component is just something required by the engine for everything. Any special ability uses at least a little gesturing, even if it's psychic. You can turn off the glows - and the chanting with them - but not the hand-waving.

Still need to spend 7 pages to write one word.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html
    Okay, that was pretty funny. The 7 pages are probably not left blank but filled with the mental excruciations needed to go through to reach the state where one can say "Blind" with that special effect.
    @Akuro
    An Italian player reported here that the mod does not work with the latest version of the game. After the installation, characters are totally mute when they cast a spell.
    @Aedan I am not having this problem. I don't see why such a thing should happen either. Perhaps it has something to do with running the game in Italian?
    @Tresset
    I do not think so, he says that the mod worked before the new patch. @Sauler, can you add something else in order to undestand why the mod does not work for you?
  • SaulerSauler Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2018
    i run game in english now, and i have the same problem. All audio files are in the Override folder. When i cast a spell with my cleric for example, like Bless caster don't say nothing, it's just a silenced spell. When i remove the audio instead, cleric say obviously latin words but ofc are the default voices. There are no other mods, it's a clean installation. I only put the audio files of the vanilla voices in the override folder.
    EDIT: ok, im trying to play every audio but without success. Are .wav. Trying to use winamp but they dont work.
    Post edited by Sauler on
    @Sauler I don't think most audio players can read .wav files, but the game should be able to. Hmm... perhaps the files got corrupted somehow? Have you tried re-downloading the mod? I am not sure what is going on here.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Tresset said:

@Sauler I don't think most audio players can read .wav files, but the game should be able to. Hmm... perhaps the files got corrupted somehow? Have you tried re-downloading the mod? I am not sure what is going on here.

Most audio players can play .wav files just fine. However, the BG1 audio files are not actually .wav files. They are ACM files (a proprietary audio format created by BioWare) with a .wav extension.

The EEs now use Ogg-encoded files internally (still with a .wav extension). Perhaps Beamdog removed the ACM decoder?
    Tresset
  • SaulerSauler Member Posts: 100
    edited October 2018
    I don't know, but as I said, in previous patches this mod worked 100%. With this patch, seems the game doesnt recognize my wav files in override folder and spellcasters cast muted. I tried to download again the mod and put new files, but nothing changed.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    I can download the files and they work just fine in patch 2.5.17.0 (BGSoD and IWDEE), Windows/Beamdog Store. They also play just fine in NearInfinity. Is it possibly a platform/distributor issue?
    JuliusBorisov