Skip to content

Some problems with magical weapons

NSAgov770NSAgov770 Member Posts: 27
Supposed I have a magical weapon which have 100% magical attack (no normal attack). Will it get dmg bonus from weapon proficiency? I had checked status bar in inventory icon,but it didn't show anything about this.

thx in advance

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've seen conflicting evidence. In the past, I've seen weapons with no base damage do no physical damage at all, and I've seen them deal physical damage equal to the character's base damage bonuses (like from the Archer kit and such).

I believe it depends on the version you're using and whether the weapon in question is set to deal 0d6 damage, or 0d0 damage. If the weapon's damage is set to 0d6, it can get damage bonuses; if it's set to 0d0, then it does not. That's just my guess.

But this assumes that proficiency bonuses apply in the first place. Take Spiritual Hammer, which doesn't actually use the hammer proficiency and therefore does not apply any bonuses or penalties from the user's weapon proficiencies.

Most magically-created weapons like Minute Meteors do not have proficiencies. Are you talking about a specific weapon?
  • NSAgov770NSAgov770 Member Posts: 27

I've seen conflicting evidence. In the past, I've seen weapons with no base damage do no physical damage at all, and I've seen them deal physical damage equal to the character's base damage bonuses (like from the Archer kit and such).

I believe it depends on the version you're using and whether the weapon in question is set to deal 0d6 damage, or 0d0 damage. If the weapon's damage is set to 0d6, it can get damage bonuses; if it's set to 0d0, then it does not. That's just my guess.

But this assumes that proficiency bonuses apply in the first place. Take Spiritual Hammer, which doesn't actually use the hammer proficiency and therefore does not apply any bonuses or penalties from the user's weapon proficiencies.

Most magically-created weapons like Minute Meteors do not have proficiencies. Are you talking about a specific weapon?

Here is my weapon status: it look like this

Damage: 2D12+3 magic damage
    Thac0: +3 bonus
    Special: No strength bonus

Will weapon like this get proficiency bonus?

and THX for answer my post.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    NSAgov770 said:

Here is my weapon status: it look like this

Damage: 2D12+3 magic damage
    Thac0: +3 bonus
    Special: No strength bonus

Will weapon like this get proficiency bonus?

and THX for answer my post.

You cannot choose Magic Damage for a weapons base damage, it is limited to one of the Physical Damage types(crush/slash/pierce/missile), and any bonuses(strength, proficiency, berserk, etc..) will also be of that physical damage type.
    0d0+0 will not receive bonus damage from any source.
    0d1+x will receive bonus damage as normal.
    1d0+x will not receive bonus damage from certain sources(proficiency among them).

Magic Damage can only be added on as a secondary on-hit effect, and will never receive such bonuses.
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    What weapon is this? Is it a custom weapon? If so, you should be able to check its proficiency value in Near Infinity. If it has no set proficiency, it won't benefit from any proficiency bonuses, though it can benefit from other damage bonuses like Emotion: Hope and Tenser's Transformation.