Skip to content

Anyone interested if I made this NPC a party member (spoilers for SoA)

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited March 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Sime.

As a foreword, I'm going to be very open with the ideas I have for this character. No secrets here, unless I haven't fully figured it out yet. If I think it's a good idea, I'll mention it.

We don't see much of Sime past Brynnlaw, other than with Quest Pack installed in which case she gets a rather miserable fate. A random idea came into my head some time ago and given some time to develop, I think I've got something that could become an interesting NPC mod.

Race: Elf
Class: Mage/Thief
Alignment: Lawful Neutral/True Neutral

Basically, the idea is to retcon Sime into an elf, not that this matters much considering her race is never mentioned anyway. Since she has the mysterious ability to Dimension Door in vanilla, I don't feel bad about her becoming a Mage/Thief.

Instead of being a true Shadow Thief, she is in fact an agent of Suldanessellar (based off Rogue Rebalancing but past this is my own idea). Aran sends her off to Brynnlaw with you under the pretense of spying on Saemon, but in fact had sniffed a rat and sent her off with you both to get her off him and in hopes that you'll be able to figure out what she's up to, considering he at least somewhat trusts you by now. Little does he know that it was exactly what Sime wanted as her goal was to reach Spellhold to find Irenicus.

She knows everything about Irenicus and his past, but won't tell you since she doesn't trust you. Throughout Spellhold and optionally City-of-Caverns you'll have plenty of opportunities to suspect her of being a double agent for Aran (which would obviously be false) but she can't give you any information either on him nor her real masters since her mission is confidential.

She'll have important dialogue with Aran, Elhan, Demin and some with Ellesime as well. Probably a small quest in Athkatla and something extra in Suldanessellar as well.

Brainstormed ideas:

- Returning to the Shadow Thief guild after Spellhold. Aran drops the charade and admits he tried to drop Sime on you, revealing he knows Sime is a spy in the process. Misunderstandings get settled, Aran still isn't happy so he tells Sime to help you get rid of Bodhi to regain his trust. This will just be one long dialogue/argument.
- Some tension between Sime and Elhan. Possibly a private conversation which the PC has the option of eavesdropping on (not sure about this considering how alert elves are) which gives you a few hints on why Sime was sent to Athkatla, with Elhan telling Sime to keep her yap shut with you at the end.
- Some issue with Shadow Thief unfinished business in Athkatla as a post-Underdark quest
- Family rescue (those two elves in the southeast house) mini-encounter in Suldanessellar
- The usual occasional interjection. I have an idea for a really funny one with Coran if you can save him.
- Possibility to rat Sime out to Aran for a reward. Sime's not going to be impressed by it though.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Post edited by TheArtisan on

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    But you know that Tortured Souls already includes Sime as a joinable NPC, right? :) I mean, there can be 2 different mods that develop one character, but... I thought that I shoul ask.
  • Tomato9999Tomato9999 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2015

Sime.

Race: Elf

stopped reading right there
  • AerevynAerevyn Member Posts: 14
    Personally I think it's a great fit for a character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    there really should be a an option for imoan getting left behind that is more humane shouldn't there
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iamlenbiamlenb Member Posts: 2
    Arvadek Adeva! Rise! Rise from the Dead! The Necroposter calls!
    Rajick said:

there really should be a an option for imoan getting left behind that is more humane shouldn't there

Easy.

In the Imoen Spellhold cell dialog, close the Ibox at the appropriate time to simulate her passing the hell out. Force Cast Otilukes Resilient Sphere, now with extra Bhaalspawn. Create an unconscious Imoen item that can be picked up. Fade Sphere. Just like Renfield but it's your sister.

Unconscious Imoen is a 110lb item with the body inventory portrait. The right click description window has a button labeled "Wake Up" . Using this button before finishing the Adalon Quest, one way or another, gives the message "Imoen stirs and moans but does not awaken". Play her combat damage sound for verisimilitude.

Unconcious Imoen must be fireman carried, disabling weapon and shield slots unless the rescuer has exceptional strength, in which case they only lose use of their off hand.

Minsc: "You two are like Minsc and Boo now! I am so proud of how tenderly you cradle her while delivering fierce kicks to the Buttocks of Injustice!"

Dorn: "Leave her. She will only be a burden to us."

For fun, make her an off hand weapon/shield. Too bad you can't yet craft Crom Feyr for some 25 Str Bhaalspawn dual wielding action.

Unconscious Imoen:
    Damage: 1d6 blunt
    Thac0: -3
    Proficiency.: Club
    +1 AC
    +2 AC vs Missiles
    -2 Movement
    On hit, plays Imoen's damaged, death, and/or need healing sounds with 20% chance to cast glitterdust.

The High Priestess Sissyfisholicious agrees to care for Imoen while you meet the King. Or just carry her around with you, like family do.

King: "I am Kin... ... Why are you holding a human female? Snack for later?"
    1. "Wild Surge. Small Shield +2 to free girlfriend. Winning at life."
    2. "This is my Bhaalspawn. There are many like it, but this one is mine."
    3. "She cast Hold Person on me. Failed my save."

Do the shark things...

Adalon agrees to care for Imoen until you return with her eggs.
    Or take her with you, would be hilarious.

Soulafein: "Did you just kill a beholder by bludgeoning it to death with a female?"
    1. "This is my little sister, Hamlet. She shields me from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune."
    2. "Passed out from too much clubbing..."
    3. "No, for I am not left handed."

When finished in Ust Natha...

Adalon: "The girl is resting much easier now. Do you want to try to wake her?"
    1. "Yes, of course."
    2. "No, I will take her with me to awaken in a comfortable bed."
    3. "She's all yours, dragon lady. I'm kidding. I got her."

Pick up Unconcious Imoen, and note that the item now highlights a quick slot. Can activate her from now on to spawn her as an NPC on the targeting cursor, at 3 HP. Best do it out of combat.

Imoen dialog opens, she joins up and everyone force rests. When sleep cutscene is done, distribute XP. Adalon lives up to her end of the bargain or dies spewing blood in a heap of "Hey! +5 Human Skin Armor!" and you exit her lair as normal. Imoen is feeling better.

After some things happen on the trip back to Athkatla, at the Copper Coronet.
    Imoen: "Hey, do you ever have that dream where you're sleeping on the back of a unicorn, it's bouncing you around, but you can't wake up?"
    1. "Uh, Maaaybe?"
    > Imoen: "Oh, me neither."
    2. "No. Skulls and blood, blades and screaming... Never unicorns."
    > Imoen: "Seriously?"
    1. "Unless they're on fire."
    2. "Well, there was the Pirate Prostitue warehouse."
    >> Imoen: "Ok, just what happened while I was gone?"
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    I used to have Sime joinable for the journey to Spellhold by some mod, but it was in the old game and long ago and it must have been from a mod I decided to never install again (TS? NEJ? someone might remember).

Anyway, it just shows I was interested back then so I should be again, especially if the mod comes from a source known for interesting and original NPCs this time.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Agh hell, I had forgotten this existed. Not my most inspired idea... I've got too much on my plate right now to even entertain the idea :/
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Am I glad I'm not the only one this happens to. :)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

Agh hell, I had forgotten this existed. Not my most inspired idea... I've got too much on my plate right now to even entertain the idea :/

If it is correct that Sime was from TS then there is no problem to have a mod about her in BG2EE. The TS author has declared a private war against anything EE and will never convert his mods nor allow others to do it. Just check out his flamewar posts on SHS and elsewhere.
    And after all Sime is a vanilla NPC and free for you to adopt.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @PaulaMigrate Yes, I noticed and called out his comment. Not that it would've affected my willingness to make this mod anyway, since I consider TS a terrible mod (and I believed this long before EE was a thing). Again though, the main thing is that this isn't high up on my priority of things to do. You can see on my mod site (https://artisans-corner.com) all the other mods I'm more interested in making.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd personally like to see drake and fallen light done before you start anything new anyways. as those are the two that intrest me the most.

nothing against gleya she is just lower on the list.
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    like @megamike15 i think you started really interesing mods like: Pai'Na,The Fallen Light and Bardic Wonders and you should have done those first.