Skip to content

Weapon Speed Factor?

2»

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited June 2017

I find that really hard to believe, considering that from 3e onward, a round is 6 seconds and a turn is 1 minute, and there seems to be no actual difference in in-game time fragmentation between 2e and 3e from having played both. Can you cite an actual source on this?

The AD&D Player's Handbook, 2nd Edition, Chapter 9: Combat, "The Combat Round".

A round is approximately one minute long. Ten combat rounds equal a turn (or, put another way, a turn equals 10 minutes of game time). This is particularly important to remember for spells that last for turns, rather than rounds.

EDIT: Missed that @Grond0 already cited this. Whoops!
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Grond0Raduziel
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Grond0 said:

@Iroumen game time in P&P is:
    1 round = 1 minute
    10 rounds = 10 minutes = 1 turn
    60 rounds = 6 turns = 1 hour

@AstroBryGuy noted above that the way Bioware compressed that into the game was slightly odd. I don't know if that's correct or not (though I have seen it referred to elsewhere), but assuming it is correct that would mean the relationships within BG are:
    1 round = 1.2 minutes game time = 6 seconds real time
    10 rounds = 1 turn game time = 12 minutes game time = 60 seconds real time
    60 rounds = 1.2 hours game time = 360 seconds real time

That's correct. You can check the GTIMES.IDS file in BGEE or BG2EE to see for yourself.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/ids/bgee/gtimes.htm

Note: to make the each time ID unique, the game adds a 1 second offset when two times are the same (e.g., FIVE_ROUNDS is 30 seconds, while SIX_MINUTES is given as 31 seconds).
    Grond0islandking
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited June 2017
    In RL, should you have a weapon so clumsy you cannot keep up with the opponent, you either;
    A: are dead
    B: have a very long weapon
    C: have a shield or mate to hide behind
    D : are on horseback

For instance, a sledgehammer is a pretty shitty weapon, unless you are really vigorous.