Skip to content

BG:EE Cleric/Ranger Changes?

Hello,

So I am returning to the BG games after roughly a 3 year absence, I am creating a party for a campaign and I want one of my characters to be a Cleric/Ranger. In the past, being this class I get access to both cleric and druid spells (due to being a ranger) but now I notice the only spells available are from the cleric side.

I really loved playing this class in the past, is there a way to bring this to the attention of the developers or was there some sort of recreation and tweaking/nerfing of classes in a update I was absent for?

Thank you.
Baboshka

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Cleric/rangers still have access to druid spells - but only up to level 3. This was an intentional change and reflects that single class rangers can only get up to level 3 spells.
    Baboshka
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Though I have never tried it myself, I've read ppl saying you can revert this correction in the .ini file, making the R/C back as it was before.
    BaboshkaThacoBellQuartz
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It should take effect the next time the character levels up, actually.
    SkatanJuliusBorisovBaboshkaThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hehe, that's right @Grond0. The inis was changed to luas some time ago, but I'm still stuck in the past :P
    Grond0JuliusBorisov
  • BaboshkaBaboshka Member Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your responses! It is wonderful to see that this game has so many active members on these forums! In response to @Grond0 , I have no druid spells at all. No entangle or call lightning :(
    I will attempt to tamper with the files you mentioned to see if I can get access to the spells.

Thanks again!
    Baboshka
    Skatan
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Baboshka said:

Thank you everyone for your responses! It is wonderful to see that this game has so many active members on these forums! In response to @Grond0 , I have no druid spells at all. No entangle or call lightning :(
    I will attempt to tamper with the files you mentioned to see if I can get access to the spells.

Thanks again!
    Baboshka

Is your character dual- or multi-classed? For that matter, what is your character's ranger level? Because I think you won't get any druid/ranger spells until your ranger level is level 8 when rangers normally get spellcasting.
    mlneveseThacoBellBaboshka
    Baboshka said:

I've just tested it in my installation to check that changing the LUA file does give access to druid spells whether dualling from cleric to ranger or vice versa. Although the new standard arrangement for cleric rangers in the EE would restrict druid spells to those accessible by rangers at the appropriate level, that is not the case in vanilla and changing the LUA to value 0 will make all druid spells available for the level your cleric can cast irrespective of ranger level.

Note though that:
    - if dualling you won't see druid spells until the abilities of your first class are recovered.
    - if you've changed the LUA file mid-game you won't see the impact of that until you next level up the character as @mlnevese said.
    - any changes made to the LUA file will reverse themselves if you have the EE game open at the time you amend the LUA, so you might want to double-check on that.
    mlneveseSkatan[Deleted User]Baboshka
  • BaboshkaBaboshka Member Posts: 3
    @Artemius_I , it is a multi-class, I do hope to make a duel class once I read into the process and figure what level I make my human stop leveling ranger. (I have played through these games multiple times but never once did I create a duel-class :open_mouth: )

@Grond0, thanks for the info! One more question and I must thank you and everyone again for their time and sharing their knowledge, if I am to change a LUA file would that effect or restrict my character if I was to play on mulitplayer?

Baboshka
    edited July 2017
    No
    Baboshka said:

if I am to change a LUA file would that effect or restrict my character if I was to play on mulitplayer?

No, though as a general principle you should aim to have the same installation for all people playing MP (so if you change your LUA, then others should change theirs as well).
    Baboshkamlnevese
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Skatan said:

Hehe, that's right @Grond0. The inis was changed to luas some time ago, but I'm still stuck in the past :P

Was that a 2.0 change? Some of us are still waiting patiently for the update, so .ini doc may be relevant too for a little while longer ;)
    SkatanRavenslight

Was that a 2.0 change? Some of us are still waiting patiently for the update, so .ini doc may be relevant too for a little while longer ;)

That's right. My apologies - it's hard to keep track of all the version differences even before you start considering mods :D.