Skip to content

Updated Sword Coast Map

I have been wanting an updated Sword Coast map for some time now. Not finding what I was looking for, I tinkered around a bit and came up with something that works for me.

For my own needs, I wanted all areas to be noted with both names and area numbers. Because I often role-play my character, I wanted it to retain a rustic look and have enough uncluttered space between the areas to allow for the occasional hand written note.

In case there are other players out there who’s needs this map might meet, I thought I would post it here. A little of the sharpness contained in the original document was lost with the necessity of cutting it down to a downloadable file size. But I don’t think it’s too bad. When printed, this map is meant to fill one entire sheet of normal sized paper.

:)

ZaramMaldovarUnderstandMouseMagiclefreutArctodusThacoBellFlashburnZaghoulCurmudgeonRaduzielOrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]Calmarthe_sexteinShikaoislandkingJuliusBorisovmf2112Fina92Abel

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Ravenslight
    Very good and well thought out. Volo would be proud.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovAbel
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    That's very good.
    And so helpful having names and the codes.

I would have put "Ogre Peaks" though rather than "Lonely Peaks" as it's the area I tend to forget.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    When choosing which names to use for the areas, if I didn’t have a strong personal preference, I tended to favor those used by the Dudleyville site. For many years I have loved his excellent site. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    Your map is surely the more aesthetic one, here is a very practical one:

This is what you get in Near Infinity with the EET and the BP-BGT_Worldmap mod installed.
    It has the areas of the complete trilogy + all the mods you have installed. You can select any map icon and get the link to the area file. You can select any map and see travel connections and travel times to other areas.
    The map is linked to any other file in the game. You want to know what the man in Beregost in the town center has to say to you? Click on the map icon to open the BG3300.are file. Click on the man to open his cre-file, select his dialogue file and see what he says. Just one example...
    Arctodus[Deleted User]
    I see that you are a fan of the EET and BP-BGT mod install that changes the game into a trilogy. That is a different animal. :)

This is a map meant for a regular BG:EE game, with or without individual mods.
    edited July 2017

When choosing which names to use for the areas, if I didn’t have a strong personal preference, I tended to favor those used by the Dudleyville site. For many years I have loved his excellent site. :)

Another useful overview about all the areas is this
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/25658-all-bgt-mega-mod-area-codes/
    It has all codes, not just those on the worldmap. Don't be fooled by the name, it's called BGT for scope but it can be used for any other game. Since it's pretty old, it misses the areas added to the EE games (OH.... and BD....)

And
    ...it's *Lonely Peaks* in this list as well, even I remember that very long ago in the old BG1 I saw it called *Firewine Plains* sometimes which I personally found a bit odd.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @ravenslight Just the right amt of info, fits the old look, and not cluttered or modded up heavily. :)
    RavenslightThacoBellUnderstandMouseMagicJuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Zaghoul said:

@ravenslight Just the right amt of info, fits the old look, and not cluttered or modded up heavily. :)

Agreed, still looks like a map rather than something created by Google Earth.
    RavenslightThacoBellZaghoulJuliusBorisov
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2017
    Google Toril would be more accurate.

Also @OrlonKronsteen what about Athkatla, Trademeet, Saradush and Amkethran?
    RavenslightOrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
    Hmm… Now if Google maps could show the best way to proceed through Durlag’s Tower...
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited July 2017

Google Toril would be more accurate.

Also @OrlonKronsteen what about Athkatla, Trademeet, Saradush and Amkethran?

Yes! You could spend hours navigating around looking for famous in-game characters. Their faces would be blurred out, of course.

Hmm… Now if Google maps could show the best way to proceed through Durlag’s Tower...

True. Of course there may be some great, third-party dungeon mapping apps out there.
    Ravenslight
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited July 2017
    swit said:

Big map of IWD linked to BG trilogy

Shouldn't there be a LOT of stuff in the middle of that map? It's a LONG, LONG way from Baldur's Gate area to Icewind Dale. Things like, oh, Waterdeep and Neverwinter?

I might wrong, but from what I recall of Faerunian geography, I'd say it's probably 8-10 times the distance from BG to Athkatla as it is from BG to IWD.
    ThacoBell
    edited July 2017

swit said:

Shouldn't there be a LOT of stuff in the middle of that map? It's a LONG, LONG way from Baldur's Gate area to Icewind Dale. Things like, oh, Waterdeep and Neverwinter?

I might wrong, but from what I recall of Faerunian geography, I'd say it's probably 8-10 times the distance from BG to Athkatla as it is from BG to IWD.
    This map is kind of *folded* between the most northern areas used in BG Trilogy and the ones used in IWD, omitting the area in between that is not used by the game at all.
    The only possibility to visit any of the areas in between during EET is with the Sandrah Saga which adds Waterdeep and other areas to the game - but this mod requires the large BP-BGT_Worldmap that has all of it. So without that mod, the EET map is sufficient.

The large map looks like this

It is too large to post here in adequate quality and with icons.
    The snapshots in my first post to this topic are details from that map.
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on
    islandkingAbel
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited July 2017

swit said:

Correct. If you compare the map with the actual Faerun continent worldmap you will notice that in order to provide focused presentation of the visitable areas default EET Worldmap ignores part of the landmass – there is a jump from Delimbiyr River (near Daggerford) right to The Spine of the World. Without this, as you mentioned yourself, there would be a lot of nothing in between. Initially the map was meant to end on Delimbiyr River (which would cover all space needed for SoD) but has been expanded with The Spine of the World, in order to support upcoming IWD-in-EET mod (its inclusion is also justified even in vanilla game due to TotSC Ice Island where you're teleported from Ulgoth's Beard). As PaulaMigrate mentioned there is an option for those who want to play using map presenting whole continent.
    Post edited by swit on
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited July 2017
    swit said:

Nice map, Ravenslight.
    Since BP-BGT Worldmap was posted I will also highjack the topic with default EET Worldmap (art by Kirara). Maybe someone here will find it useful for SoA and ToB areas since it has those maps in practically unaltered form, so it’s a matter of cutting out those portions of the maps to new images. The map has also icons from mods though.

I used to play BGT before the EE's came around. Now they pretty much feel like one big game other than the minor break between the SOD end cut scene and BG2EE intro cut scene.

Still, I miss the epic world map of trilogy and EET's map is probably the nicest one I have ever seen. Now that you guys are adding IWD to it, I have a reason to get into it. Game balance and proper integration would be my main two concerns though. Ugoloth's Beard was pretty much designed as an add on hub for missions that take place away from the main game and it's placed so that you can take it on right before the end of the game where you will lose all of your cash. It would be cool if a character were added that was trying to get groups of adventurers to go to the spine of the world to help out. Maybe even add some flyers around the game world. I don't know if you guys plan on having an XP cap or not but maybe limiting quest XP would help keep characters in line so they don't steamroll SOD. Still, I am looking forward to it and this wasn't on my radar. Do you have a rough estimate of when the IWD add on for EET will be available for download?

Do you or anyone here have any info on how IWD is integrated and how game balance is planned for this mod? Thanks to LOB mode and SCS it could still prove challenging to a group that is OP from extra adventuring but only up to a certain point.
    IWD-in-EET has its own forum (subforum of EET) with a lot of topics - and the answers to the questions you posted are all there.
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=197
    the_sextein
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited July 2017
    Thanks I'll check it out.

EDIT:
    Bummer, looks like they are waiting on Beamdog to patch Icewind Dale. Going on the past patching, that will probably be a long wait.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
  • IWDIWD Member Posts: 24
    swit said:

Correct. If you compare the map with the actual Faerun continent worldmap you will notice that in order to provide focused presentation of the visitable areas default EET Worldmap ignores part of the landmass – there is a jump from Delimbiyr River (near Daggerford) right to The Spine of the World. Without this, as you mentioned yourself, there would be a lot of nothing in between.

I'd use some crackings in between the landscapes of the south and the frozen north. That would just emphasize that there is more which isn't relevant for the game. Having it shown as coherent landscape seems really odd to me. Good maps always give a hint, when they leave something out. I also tell you this because I am a geographer myself. Never make a map pretending something isn't there when you KNOW it's there. ;-)
    Shikaoswit