Skip to content

Can't set traps in BGEE with EET install

billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
I was halfway through BGI with my solo fighter/thief when I decided to put points in set snare, because its useful. Now, every time I set snare it just says set snare:charname in the dialogue box but not the succeeded/failed part which happens after you roll for success or failure. Is it possible a mod changes the way snares work or something? I'm playing on a BWS install of EET but mostly just ai and tactical challenges.
this is what it looks like in game:

I also shadowkeepered a thief with 100 set snares to see if that was the problem, as wel as loading and reloading a bunch of times, setting a snare each time to see if it worked (it didn't).

When I load a SoA game setting snares works perfectly fine, I get a success/fail roll every time.

Its probably an issue with a mod, any idea's on what it could be? I don't have that many installed..

Comments

• billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2017
    So, I just loaded up a BGIEE game through steam, non-EET, and setting traps works fine. Does anyone else have this problems with traps in BGI using EET?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, very helpful! So I just need to roll a thief in SoA and eekeeper it to lvl 1 then export it to BGEE.
    JuliusBorisov
    Unfortunately that doesn't work, as soon as you edit the character file traps break again. The vanilla file from character creation in SoA has working traps though; so weird.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovbilly_pilgrim
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

One of the other things I tried was to convert Spike Trap from a high-power trap to a low-power trap. After all, I figured, a single-target stationary trap should be less complex than a trap that spits darts at multiple people.

The Set Trap effect used by Spike Trap(and the other HLA traps) specifies a minimum level of 6.
    billy_pilgrim
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2017
    I just EEKeepered some stuff around (making a thief that would be ridiculously OP in the meanwhile), was not able to set any traps of any sort, be it regular, special, or HLA. I'll enable console and screw with levels to see if it's level specific.

E: Yep, it would seem that the level requirement is the issue - I just tested it and no traps could be set until Thief 6 (20k EXP)
    billy_pilgrim
    oh ok interesting, ill test that too thx!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ga_jga_j Member Posts: 24
    Any fix for this yet?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    There is an analysis of the issue here
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28819&page=1&#entry254017
    Also the reason why it's not easy to change it without massive impact which needs to be carefully analysed.
    Its's not a bug, it's how BG2EE works, and BG2EE is technical basis for EET...
    JuliusBorisov
    Hey guys, had a bit of a break, but am starting to feel the itch coming on again. I'm thinking about a run with a shadowdancer/fighter dualled at 13. But I'm worried SoD will be impossible due to no traps, as wel as certain fights in BG1 being pretty hard. What do you guys think? don't even bother? I'd be doing scs+lob but not no re-load.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @billy_pilgrim the suggestion earlier in the thread is that the issue is that thieves need to be at least level 6 to set traps in the BG2EE / EET engine - have you tried levelling up your thief to test this? Assuming that works then most of BGEE and all of SoD would be fine.
    @grond0 Yea ~ I know about this issue, setting traps in BG1 only works after lvl 6 if your using EET. But as Shadowdancer you don't get access to snares anyway. On previous attempts with bounty hunters and other thieves though it is a bit of a problem, especially if you're playing in a party, level 6 is pretty close to the end of the game I think, with 6 members.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    When you get enough HiS or MS points, and if you time the stealth cooldown, you can backstab with your Shadowdancer without being revealed. As @Grum found out, if you click "detect traps" before actually backstabbing or otherwise leaving shadows (just wait 2 or 3 seconds), you'll start a timer that will let you hit the "Hide in shadows" button again sooner.

This way you can have your button ready as soon as you backstab (or even before backstabbing), after you play with it a bit and learn how much time it needs exactly.

As a shadowdancer you can hide immediately after a backstab in this case.

I'd say this makes the character viable even for LoB.
    Grum
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2017
    Actually in my current experience with a single-class thief in LoB, thieves excel in this difficulty because backstab with hit-and-run means even those otherwise tough 200+ enemies can be killed without even taking a lick of damage whereas fighters have trouble surviving even with -10 and lower AC. It's possible to go to Durlag's Tower and backstab all the Battle Horrors and the entire warders level to death so long as you have enough stealth points to be consistent. And this was done with a 5th level unkitted thief. I'd imagine it's even easier with Hide in Plain Sight.

"But Arte archers can kill without taking damage too" Yeah. Really slowly. And it doesn't work with Durlag's because Battle Horrors are immune to missile damage. And thieves level faster. With a thief Durlag's Tower becomes a huge EXP mine on the same level as the ankheg farm and basilisk area.
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

@grond0 Yea ~ I know about this issue, setting traps in BG1 only works after lvl 6 if your using EET. But as Shadowdancer you don't get access to snares anyway. On previous attempts with bounty hunters and other thieves though it is a bit of a problem, especially if you're playing in a party, level 6 is pretty close to the end of the game I think, with 6 members.

It sounds like the issue may have been solved anyway, but even if not level 6 for a thief is only 20,000 XP. I suspect most people wouldn't expect to be progressing to SoD until XP was considerably higher than that.
    lol. I posted my comment in the wrong thread tbh ^^ I was trying to post in the LoB SCS challenge thread :tongue:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

When you get enough HiS or MS points, and if you time the stealth cooldown, you can backstab with your Shadowdancer without being revealed. As @Grum found out, if you click "detect traps" before actually backstabbing or otherwise leaving shadows (just wait 2 or 3 seconds), you'll start a timer that will let you hit the "Hide in shadows" button again sooner.

This way you can have your button ready as soon as you backstab (or even before backstabbing), after you play with it a bit and learn how much time it needs exactly.

As a shadowdancer you can hide immediately after a backstab in this case.

I'd say this makes the character viable even for LoB.

Still find it weird that I found something new out. Thanks for the shout out. :)
    Grond0JuliusBorisov
    @JuliusBorisov This is awesome! I think if you max out move silently, you remain hidden longer as well. I found I could just wait for the stealth button to come off cd after hitting detect traps and still be hidden for the backstab. Making instant re-stealth possible, very cool!
    JuliusBorisov