Skip to content

Demihuman Charname Thread! Stats, RP ideas, Portraits!

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
This thread started as just a request for ideas implementing the kobold race as a pc. It became a starting point where people started exchanging ideas for demihuman charnames. So I've renamed the thread and put this new, poorly worded intro to reflect how the thread has evolved.

As the title says. Anyone have a good stat guideline and racial abilities? I can make it fit cosmetically with EEKeeper, but does anyone know what weapon animations are supported? Also, can I equip weapons that don't have animations without breaking anything? A way to have "Kobold" show as the race would be nice, but isn't essential. Ooh, maybe we can make this a demihuman thread in general. Share different builds and concepts for unusual races, that people can try.
Post edited by ThacoBell on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2017
    At the very least there are bow animations, because kobold commando squads use them all the time. Their melee animation is a bit trickier to pinpoint... was it barehanded or daggers? I cannot seem to remember. Also don't count on ever seeing the race name within the character info screen.

Anyhow, kobolds in ADnD possess infravision and light sensitivity. Daylight makes them suffer a -1 on their attack rolls.

You may be interested in reading The Ecology of the Kobold (unpublished AD&D 2E version) for extra yipp-yipp-grr juice: It's better than national geographics! :-D
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited August 2017
    Great idea. They have short sword animation as well. I'll send you what I have from one of the AD&D books.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Call him Deekin. Please tell me you'll call him Deekin.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the resources guys, this is gonna be a fun playthrough when I get it off the ground.

@tbone1 I'll consider it :)

*EDIT*
    Minimum Maximum
    Str 3 16
    Dex 4 18
    Con 4 15
    Int 3 17
    Wis 3 18
    Chr 3 14

Hmmm, those are some good mental stats. That will be the lowest CHA I've ever run though, I'll need to get used lesser quest rewards. I'm thinking some variation of Ranger sounds fun. Maybe Ranger/Thief from FnP, or a Ranger Cleric and restrict myself to Druid spells. Proficiencies in dual wielding axe and short sword (or maybe spear). (I'm pretty sure there isn't an animation for axe and spear, but mechanically it should still work, right?). Thinking Chaotic Good, benevolent streak but little patience when being talked down too, and distrust of authority. I'm liking this.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Alright! Freekin (I'm not sorry, I spent hours agonizing over class choices) the Darksong of Ellistraee Kobold lives! Seriously though, a max stat roll of 98? If I was just slightly less crazy, I would spend another 3 hours rolling for it. By chance, would anyone have knowledge of a way to set a Kobold paperdoll? I've seen it with a Gnoll playthrough, but I don't know how myself.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2017
    I don't think there is a paperdoll for kobolds. For gnolls, there exists an inventory .BAM file, MGNLINV.BAM. There is no MKOBINV.BAM or similar in the game.

You could try exporting MGNLINV.BAM from the game, renaming it to MKOBINV.BAM and putting it in your override.

I don't think there is a paperdoll for kobolds. For gnolls, there exists an inventory .BAM file, MGNLINV.BAM. There is no MKOBINV.BAM or similar in the game.

You could try exporting MGNLINV.BAM from the game, renaming it to MKOBINV.BAM and putting it in your override.

Where would I find the file?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Use NearInfinity or DLTCEP to export the file. NearInfinity organizes files by extension, so it would be under BAM.

Note: if this works, you'd have a gnoll inventory paper doll.
    Ah, I see. Guess I'll just live without a paperdoll then. Thanks for the information, saved me from a wild goose chase.
    Playin up the traits as you mention would definitely help get into the flow. Seems like Safana says something bout needing big n strong to help her. I'd take that as an insult, heh. ;)

You might check out Lava's new weasel mod, it fits perfect for a kobold's training/use of weasels.
    Pretty fun stuff in there, spells and item wise I'm finding.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Maybe you can have a look at the mod Kari the Kobold and see which one they use.
    I still need to play that mod...
    Huh. I was reading the old Kari mod and it said the female human mage paperdoll is used, as a druid. But she is only half kobold so I guess that could work for a half-kobold. Not sure how an egg layer kobold works with a human baby though, hehheh. Maybe the human male, as a Sune priest got special blessings.

A pity. They probably had the same problem then.
    @Zaghoul a weasel mod sounds like a good fit indeed. I think the 2nd ed. Kobolds were more based on dogs? I think the lizard/dragon aspect came around in 3rd ed.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2017
    Kobolds were first very similar to their German folklore sprite roots, kind of like weaker goblins with small horns and slit eyes if I remember correctly. Then they changed into semi-mammalian goblinoids with dog-like faces, rat-like tails and the habit of laying eggs. Then they were changed again to miniature lizardfolks. After that came the trend of making them dragonblooded, which persisted to this day. At least Pathfinder's kobolds look somewhat more like Dragonlance's draconians.

Honestly, no other D&D race went through that many iteration changes than the kobold.
    edited August 2017
    I never see chickens in baldurs gate so now finally the phrase of minsc starts to make sense.

"don't teach my hamster to suck eggs"
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ThacoBell said:

@Kamigoroshi "Kobolds were first very similar to their German folklore sprite roots, kind of like weaker goblins with small horns and slit eyes if I remember correctly. Then they changed into semi-mammalian goblinoids with dog-like faces, rat-like tails and the habit of laying eggs."

Interesting. Being egg laying mammals, that would place them in Monotremata. Making Kobolds related to the Duck-Billed Platypus and Echidnas, some of my favorite creatures. I knew there was something special about them.

Depending on edition they are reptiles, as in non-mammal.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    lroumen said:

I never see chickens in baldurs gate so now finally the phrase of minsc starts to make sense.

"don't teach my hamster to suck eggs"

They have a stronghold hidden in the city proper. ;)
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    There's this wonderfully wacky alternative sound effect for kobolds that can be heard in some Spanish versions of the game. Can you really play a kobold character without this as voiceset?

You can hear it at around 3:20 in this video:
    edited August 2017
    DreadKhan said:

ThacoBell said:

@Kamigoroshi "Kobolds were first very similar to their German folklore sprite roots, kind of like weaker goblins with small horns and slit eyes if I remember correctly. Then they changed into semi-mammalian goblinoids with dog-like faces, rat-like tails and the habit of laying eggs."

Interesting. Being egg laying mammals, that would place them in Monotremata. Making Kobolds related to the Duck-Billed Platypus and Echidnas, some of my favorite creatures. I knew there was something special about them.

Depending on edition they are reptiles, as in non-mammal.
    BG is second ed. So bring on the Monotremes! :smiley:

@JoenSo Is lterally someone going "Ruff"?! Oh my gosh that hilarious.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I think it is :D I would love to know the history behind that.

"So I need to fix some sound effects for the game. What does a kobold sound like?"
    "Well, something like 'grrr, ruff ruff! Woof-woof! Grrrr!' You know. Hey, you didn't record that, did you?!"
    "Oh, of course not!"
    Lawd, those folks can't decide what they want with these guys.
    So just for fun, and your viewing pleasure, Monster Manuals 1-5 :)
    1st:

2nd:

3rd:

4th:

5th:

Kobolds like weasels, later even taming the Dire Weasel, heck with goblins worgs, this dude's pretty fierce.

And just for fun, and in 'standard' TV fantasy warrior armor: Who says Female Kobolds can't look interesting

After having to restart (thankfully I had only just made it to Beregost), taking another whack at this. This time I was crazy to roll max stats for him, "only" a 98.

Freekin
    Chaotic Good Darksong Knight of Ellistraee.

Freekin venerates Elistraee as a mother-like figure, watching over those who would better themselves despite societies persecution. As a Darksong Knight, Freekin has vowed to protect those like him and hunt down those who oppress others. Freekin is usually patient and good natured, but has little respect for authority and those who talk down to him, often challengeing them directly.

Living in Candlekeep was both a blessing and a curse for you. You always felt out of place in the only home you ever knew. Despite never seeing another kobold, it was clear that they were looked down on by the "less monstrous" races. Hull barely tolerated you, and was quick to point out that kobolds were a plague on the sword coast, only so much vermin. You are sure that were it not for Gorion and Tethtoril's influence, Hull would have driven you out of Candlekeep long ago. The keep was small, and it wasn't always easy to stay out of certain people's way, luckily there was Imoen, your close friend and confidant. In between chores the two of you would sneak into the library to share stories of adventure and exploration.
    This is easily the most rp heavy run I've done. Being good, I don't steal from ANY houses or npcs. In addition to much tighter money and resources, I'm not automatically picking the "best" responses in dialogue, depending on how I think my character would act. I know this is small for a lot of RP'ers on here, but this is a pretty major change for me.
    Hmmm, aparently 14 charisma is too high to the ring from Lord Foreshadow. I was kinda banking on that.
    edited August 2017
    I hear ya, this ogre business is much the same way. When really thinking about it, and keeping the differences of the humanoids we play in mind, on a RPing perspective, it does make for a very enjoyable digression from the norm, I must admit. Shoot, I had had forgotten that max Int of 8 does not allow for scrolls, or low int & wis would give a negative to lore for quite a while.

Have you found Freekin including any original kobold combat voice sets yet?

Horshack likes to revert to his base "I will crush" when in a scrap, hehheh.
    Often in multiple strikes he doesn't get to finish the line so it's: "I will, I will, I will crush!"
    A nice touch I though and fun every time I hear it. :)

I have one of the standard voice sets, but I do get the kobold sounds in combat, which is nice.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    ThacoBell said:

I have one of the standard voice sets, but I do get the kobold sounds in combat, which is nice.

Please tell me you chose the posh voice set. Posh kobold. Think about it.