Skip to content

Why Fallout is not Fallout anymore

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Its Always nice to see the opinions of civil and calm oldschool Fallout fans that aren't from No Mutants Allowed or RPG Codex and doesn't give Western RPG fans a bad name.
Vallmyr[Deleted User]

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    You might want to ask moderators to move this topic to other category. This is not "Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition".

Being on topic, I recall seeing this video before and I agree for the most part. That being said, I still think the guy was too soft on these apes from Bethesda. They neither really know nor respect the source material. Nor even care about it, given in which direction Fallout 4 went. And given how well it sold, Fallout franchise is as good as dead for me.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    O_Bruce said:

You might want to ask moderators to move this topic to other category. This is not "Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition".

Being on topic, I recall seeing this video before and I agree for the most part. That being said, I still think the guy was too soft on these apes from Bethesda. They neither really know nor respect the source material. Nor even care about it, given in which direction Fallout 4 went. And given how well it sold, Fallout franchise is as good as dead for me.

I think being overly condenscending and hostile towards the makers of those games and especially people who likes these games, like calling them ''stupid noobs'' or whatever is what gives us western rpg fans the negative stigma of ''pretentious neckbeards''. I agree that theres a good chance we'll never get a second New Vegas though, and thats sad.
    scriver
    I am condescending and hostile towards Bethesda and I have no intention to deny that in the slightest. I do, however, disagree at some things. First of alll "overly" part - I think they deserve everything I said above. And more, because unfortunately I have no power to do anything practical, aside from never give them my money. Second, I am speaking for myself and looking at matter objectively, I'm just one person and therefore I'm not representative sample of western crpg fans. Therefore I don't really misrepresent any group of people.
    And finally, people calling out Bethesda for what they did to Fallout franchise are minority. Majority of people praise their sorry butts.

• karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2017
    I think Obsidian did a great job with NV, even though most casual gamers is of the opinion that FO3 is the better game. Since Bethesda now owns Fallout, it's their choice what they want to do with the franchise, and it's pretty clear they want to make it in to a postnuclear themed FPS (GTA:Fallout). So i'm pretty confident there wont be a NV 2. If however, Obsidian wants to, they could make a Wasteland spinoff.

And btw, i don't think it's anything wrong with NMA or the Codex per se, as much as most older, intelligent forumveterans, for different reasons, have stopped or rarely visits anymore. Most ppl seemed to stop posting at NMA and the codex a year or two after the Interplay Forum was closed down.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Fallout 3 + 4 are what Baldur's Gate III would look like if you made it like Skyrim.

It's no coincidence that they call Fallout 3/4 and Oblivion/Skyrim, consolized RPGs.
    Morrowind was ported to Xbox. Oblivion was very obviously designed for the Xbox/consoles first and then ported to the PC.
    Same with the Fallout games.

Elder Scrolls 1-3 are very obvious PC-designed games. 4 and 5 very console-focused.
    Fallout 1-2 is the same. Fallout 3-4 are consolized and dumbed down.

If Bethesda bought the rights to the Baldur's Gate games and made them Action/RPGs with FPS Mages, people would rage.
    Yet they don't offer the same courtesy to the Fallout games.

And yes, New Vegas was somewhere between 2 and 3 in design.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited August 2017
    Yeah fallout, fallout 2, fallout tactics. That's it. Bethesda made some other console shooter game that sold a lot of copies and called it fallout as far as I'm concerned.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I was talking to a friend saying that Bethesda makes RPGs for people who don't like RPGs. Which is fine? It just sucks when the rest of the industry copies them and make garbage like Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    themazingnessdeltago

Yeah fallout, fallout 2, fallout tactics. That's it. Bethesda made some other console shooter game that sold a lot of copies and called it fallout as far as I'm concerned.

Don't forget New Vegas.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    And here I am, reinstalling Fallout 1.

Please don't open a thread about Vampire Bloodlines. I have things to do.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Vallmyr said:

I was talking to a friend saying that Bethesda makes RPGs for people who don't like RPGs. Which is fine? It just sucks when the rest of the industry copies them and make garbage like Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I can't tell you how often I hear people say they hate RPGs only to catch them braking a million lockpicks and hording skulls in Skyrim.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageVallmyrRaduziel
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Don't forget New Vegas.
    I'm talking interplay not Bethesda so no Vegas.
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    If Bethesda bought the rights to the Baldur's Gate games and made them Action/RPGs with FPS Mages

They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    smady3 said:

If Bethesda bought the rights to the Baldur's Gate games and made them Action/RPGs with FPS Mages

We would have done Pretty much what NMA did, vitriolic discussions that doesn't affect Bethesda in the slightest.
    [Deleted User]
    No ammount of critique affect Bethesda in the slightest. The only thing that could possibly affect them is low sales.
    Raduziel

smady3 said:

We would have done Pretty much what NMA did, vitriolic discussions that doesn't affect Bethesda in the slightest.
    And Kotaku will publish an article called ''The relentless champions of classic Baldur's Gate.''
    Balrog99
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited August 2017
    Raduziel said:

And here I am, reinstalling Fallout 1.

Please don't open a thread about Vampire Bloodlines. I have things to do.

Don't forget to sample the Fallout 1.5: Resurrection

An expansion that's spanning over 10 years of development made by fans from Czech Rep. setting the story between FO 1 and 2. It truly stays true in every aspect to the originals, even with the black humor.
    (It needs FO 2 installed to run but is a separate game)

Raduzielsmady3
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2017
    @Queegon I think I love you.

How did I never heard about it?!

A Van Buren remake some people are making. The screenshots look amazing. It's not complete yet.

http://www.moddb.com/games/f3-van-buren

And here's a fan-made DLC from F:NV. Not complete.

http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/
    smady3
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Moved thread to Off-Topic Forum...
    O_BruceJuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    smady3 said:

@smady3
    No, they really wouldn't. Last time I checked dark alliance was a thing and I don't remember fire and brimstone for anyone of those games. Just people crying that something different was attempted with the game play instead of them just remaking bauldur's gate gameplay...AGAIN. I said it once and I'll say it again. People hate change, I enjoyed Morrowind just like I enjoyed Skyrim. Just like with Larian Studios, people hated dragon commander not because it was a bad game, but because it didn't repeat the second formula ad divinity 1 and 2.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited August 2017

smady3 said:

@smady3
    No, they really wouldn't. Last time I checked dark alliance was a thing and I don't remember fire and brimstone for anyone of those games. Just people crying that something different was attempted with the game play instead of them just remaking bauldur's gate gameplay...AGAIN. I said it once and I'll say it again. People hate change, I enjoyed Morrowind just like I enjoyed Skyrim. Just like with Larian Studios, people hated dragon commander not because it was a bad game, but because it didn't repeat the second formula ad divinity 1 and 2.
    Don't forget Beyond Divinity. I Wish Larian would continue Adrian's Story.
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2017
    @Raduziel New Vegas pretty much is Van Buren, but with a twist. Although the story is different (it takes place in Nevada instead of Colorado, and you're a courier instead of an inmate), most of the NPCs and elements (some factions if i'm not mistaken, and major characters) from VB was placed in NV. Pretty much all the devs from BI is now on Obsidian, so it's almost exactly the same team.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageRaduzielMathsorcerer
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2017

smady3 said:

@smady3
    To be honest I was making a referance to Pres Trump's comments about n korea, nothing series.
    I thought Fallout 3 was o.k. , not as good as Fallout 1.
    Any one interested in how a BG1 remake might look like in 3d should check this out:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794/?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

I think Obsidian did a great job with NV, even though most casual gamers is of the opinion that FO3 is the better game. Since Bethesda now owns Fallout, it's their choice what they want to do with the franchise, and it's pretty clear they want to make it in to a postnuclear themed FPS (GTA:Fallout). So i'm pretty confident there wont be a NV 2. If however, Obsidian wants to, they could make a Wasteland spinoff.

I'm still thinking there's a reason Chris Avellone left Obsidian and took a job at Bethesda, besides what was probably a hefty pay raise I mean. I also think this might have something to do with Beth's statement that they don't want to make any new Fallout games out-of-house, like NV was.

I might just be fooling myself with hope. But I want to believe.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Vallmyr said:

IDK I like RPGs and I know a lot of people who like RPGs who enjoy Bethesda's games. Perhaps this is a hasty generalization.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagetbone1DragonKing
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited August 2017

smady3 said:

And Kotaku will publish an article called ''The relentless champions of classic Baldur's Gate.''
    NMA well and truly poisoned the well. It's hard to take criticism of Fallout 3 and 4 seriously after their nonsense.

And I mean I'm not a big fan of Fallout 3 or 4, and haven't finished either. I have finished Fallout and Fallout 2.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagetbone1
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I loved Fallout and Fallout 2 not long after they were released--I spent a lot more hours there than I probably should have, but then I didn't have many distractions in life at that time. It took me a few years to get around to buying and playing Fallout 3 but I really enjoyed it when I did and yet I didn't feel like it was a betrayal of the earlier games. It is too easy to run in to Super Mutants too early in Fallout 3, which can be a real pain if you aren't playing a combat-oriented character, but other than that the game is fine.

I *loved* New Vegas and still do--I start a new play-through of it probably once a year now and I am still not tired of it.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageBelleSorciere
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2017
    I like fallout 1-3 and new vegas and I wish the people of NMA would act like the late 20s-30 years of age they must be if they're so affected by nostalgia. I haven't played the others. I played wasteland 2 and found it got boring half-way through, thinking it was too big for its own good.
    Post edited by unavailable on