Skip to content

Eclipse!

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It passed over my house about forty minutes ago. It's very cloudy today, but they parted for about 45seconds right where the eclipse was. I'd never seen one before, and people weren't kidding when they said you could feel it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    tbone1 said:

So, maple leaves can make a really good series of pinhole cameras.

Are those xenomorph eggs from ALIENS?
    ThacoBell
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Enjoy my eclipse-o-vision.

Now for my jokes...

Remember to stare directly into the eclipse to get your superpowers, I got control over all matter.

Today there shall be no fire bending in the shade.

ronaldo
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2017
    Ughhh. Pefect day except for one big cloud that obscured everything 1 minute before totality. It went from awesome to merely interesting just like that...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited August 2017

Crescent shadows on the balcony at work.

I was a nice little office get-together. Those of us who had glasses passed them around and one of the guys made a large pinhole camera out of box. It reached about 85% of totality here.

Edit: About 15 minutes after the eclipse reached maximum, a thunderstorm passed over and it started to hail. Now it's sunny again.
    Balrog99semiticgoddessNonnahswriter
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Partial eclipse out here, like 25% across. My brother made a pinhole thingy, but I was too lazy to make one myself, so I just used his.

It was cool. Another 7 years and we'll get to see a full one.
    ThacoBell
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I was at work as it happened, at a public library. :) We had a ton of people attending a program our librarians put on--sharing glasses and making pinholes with the kiddies. Me and my coworkers all took turns sneaking out for a peek, and we had the live stream broadcasting on all our computers. It was awesome. :sunglasses:
    tbone1ZaghoulThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh. We got a 'Pac-Man' lookin sun before the clouds moved in to block out totality. Still, I really enjoyed the 15 minutes before and after. Thunder rolled through and seemed to signal the eclipse, timed almost perfectly. The frogs kept track here. They livened up to full steam and then died back down afterwards. The swiftness of the darkness approaching right before was really nice.
    An interesting and strangely emotional event regardless, much more than I thought. B)
    ---
    "And a great wailing was heard from all the brethren here upon the mountain top.
    There was a great gnashing of teeth and stomping of the MoonPies".
    ThacoBell
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    A bit of trivia from Wikipedia:
    The path of this eclipse crosses the path of the upcoming total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024, with the intersection of the two paths being in southern Illinois in Makanda Township at Cedar Lake just south of Carbondale. An area of about 9,000 square miles, including the cities of Makanda, Carbondale, Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and Paducah, Kentucky, will thus experience two total solar eclipses within a span of less than seven years
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    How has no one shared this yet?? Welp, I'm doing it.

tbone1
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited August 2017

is better.

Although I prefer the Flaming Lips version :o
    Balrog99
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

How has no one shared this yet?? Welp, I'm doing it.

Somehow, I cannot bring myself to click 'Like' for this, but I feel I should ...