Skip to content

Planescape torment:EE crashes when travelling to Southwestern hives

KarrgKarrg Member Posts: 12
edited August 2017 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

When I travel from any area to the SW hives the game fades to black and wont let me transition. This happens no matter where I travel from. When I try again after rebooting the games locks up. Ive attached the crash dumps and my saved games from the event.

My system: win 10 64bit
16gb RAM
i7 4820 8 cores
geforece gtx 690

I'm enjoying the enhanced edition but cannot progress any further.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited August 2017
    What platform do you play it on (Steam/Beamdog Client/GoG)?

edit: I tested the save on a clean game (W10 - Beamdog Client) and I experience the same issue. I am able to move to SW Hive with the console but after getting there I cannot transfer areas by normal means (thus only by using the console).
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • KarrgKarrg Member Posts: 12
    Steam platform
    So a temp fix would be to use the console to move to SW hive and back? Could you please tell me the console commands to move back and forth?
    edited August 2017
    Follow these tips (but edit the baldur.lua in the Planescape folder of course).
    In game, press Ctrl+space, click the "show" button. You'll see a list with all the areas. Select AR0300 "The Hive".
    However, I've noticed that this also leads to another issue: you can't enter any building in this area...

Did you install any mods?
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks for the console info.

No, game is unmodded
    edited August 2017
    I've started a new game, unfortunately its the same issue. I've attached the save

Using the console leads tot he same problem you mentioned, buildings cant be entered.
    Just to be sure: the game version is 3.1.3?
    Downloaded a fresh install from steam

.Exe says version 0.1.0.0
    In the starting screen of the game there should be a version number in the lower right corner (if you did a fresh install it should be 3.1.3)
    Just checked, yeah it's 3.1.3
    I've tried removing smooth transitions and various other EE graphics/gameplay enhancements but this still happens.

I've also noticed if I do use the console to travel to the SW hives the map has no markers and all NPCs seem to be frozen. Not sure if that is relevant?
    Could you attach a DxDiag report?
    JuliusBorisov
    Are you sure that your GeForce driver is up to date? I'm not totally convinced that this is the cause of your problem but it doesn't hurt to ensure it's the most recent version before diving into the game files itself.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    You could also try to choose another Renderer in the game options (Graphics) and see if you get the same crash.

Try to re-install OpenAL. Launch the game and see if the issue clears. If no success, close the game, install OpenAL_Soft and try that. https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch
    edited August 2017
    Ive updated drivers, installed OPenAL and OpenAL.soft but to no avail, I'm afraid.

edit: also tried the compatability renderer but no joy there either
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2017
    Try using this save. It's not going to solve the issue for subsequent playthroughs but it might at least solve it for this one.

(to be clear this save may affect any progress you have made in the south-west area of the city)
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks Elminster, I tested the save it works.

Is there a more permanent fix or some way I can replicate that for any subsequent playthroughs?
    JuliusBorisov
    edited August 2017
    You basically need to go into the save with Near Infinity, open up the baldur.sav file in your save folder, decompress it, and then delete the AR0300 area from the file. Then recompress the file. It seems like it gets corrupted though I don't know how.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    If you verify files (From Steam library, right-click the game, click Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity) does it say all files successfully validated?
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
    I tried that before, it says all files validated correctly, but I still get the same error
  • dimomarkovdimomarkov Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Hi, I'm experiencing the same (or similar) problem with the northwest area on the GoG's enhanced edition. Version is 3.1.4.0
    I tried editing the save as elminster suggested, but that did not help, or I'm probably not deleting the correct area. I'm uploading the
    save
    Two things happen when entering the area, seemingly at random:
    1. The screen starts fading to dark (HUD disappearing), then returns immediately to normal, then fades again, ad infinitum. No transition occurs.
    2. The simply crashes with the following message
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZLt07I-wIlepiweN-Ss1C86wiKuKBK-Z/view?usp=sharing

Here's the mentioned dump as well

I have sent a ticket as well.
    Post edited by dimomarkov on
  • cloudyreader1cloudyreader1 Member Posts: 1
    dimomarkov wrote: »
    Hi, I'm experiencing the same (or similar) problem with the northwest area on the GoG's enhanced edition. Version is 3.1.4.0
    I tried editing the save as elminster suggested, but that did not help, or I'm probably not deleting the correct area. I'm uploading the
    save
    Two things happen when entering the area, seemingly at random:
    1. The screen starts fading to dark (HUD disappearing), then returns immediately to normal, then fades again, ad infinitum. No transition occurs.
    2. The simply crashes with the following message
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZLt07I-wIlepiweN-Ss1C86wiKuKBK-Z/view?usp=sharing

Here's the mentioned dump as well

I have sent a ticket as well.

I am facing a similar issue at the moment. Were you able to find a fix? Immensely enjoying the game as it feels like things are picking up. I am stuck between Tenement of Thugs and Alley of Lingering sighs after returning from Clerk's Ward. I am unable to go back or go into any other areas at the moment.
    edited September 2021
    I don't handle troubleshooting issues for Beamdog anymore. Anyone experiencing this issue can follow the advice below at their own risk.

The "fix" I posted above was specific to that area and is the nuclear option.

Even if someone were going to use it for another area they would need to know the relevant area file they needed to use it on.

A list of area files can be found here.

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/area_lists/pstaref.htm

This will eliminate any progress you've made in that area. So you may instead be better off using the console to just move yourself into whatever area you are having trouble getting to.
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
  • karannsharmaa2karannsharmaa2 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2021
    I've started a new game, unfortunately its the same issue. I've attached the save

vidm.fun/vidmate/
    mobdro
    Post edited by karannsharmaa2 on