Skip to content

Total wipe of BG mods by something yet unknown.

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
So last night I had a game crash and windows was doing it little 'Windows is trying to find a solution' thing. After that I noticed that every single mod I had loaded into BG was gone, every one. I then restarted the computer, and of course windows just happened to need to to an update at the same time. I believe firefox and norton anti virus did as well.

So after that long wait I start the process of reloading mods.
It just so happened that whatever DID happen also deleted some of the corresponding downloads for the mods as well. I know I had to tell Norton on some of these mods in the past to trust them, as they would be deleted otherwise. Not sure which at the moment, thinking about it after sleeping.

Just something to watch out for.
RavenslightJuliusBorisov

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    What exactly do you mean by loading mods into BG?
    Mods are installed with Weidu, aren't they. Did some magic uninstall them?
    I can understand the issue about deleted downloads but the other thing?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @PaulaMigrate Yeah, all by weidu. When I first noticed it I went to my weidu log and it was GONE. I had to install one mod just to see that NO mods were actually installed. Crazy it was.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I will just repost what I posted earlier on your wall.

This morning Shadow found that his Norton anti-virus program had marked as dangerous and deleted many files from his installed mods as well. He hasn’t had time to thoroughly check into it yet.

So are you having any problems reinstalling the mods now?

I will just repost what I posted earlier on your wall.

This morning Shadow found that his Norton anti-virus program had marked as dangerous and deleted many files from his installed mods as well. He hasn’t had time to thoroughly check into it yet.

So are you having any problems reinstalling the mods now?

@Ravenslight Yeah,a couple. Seems like it did not erase some of the options. CDTweaks ( @camdawg) would not let me add the changes to multiclass cleric option, and NPC EE enhanced would not let me add 'choose a kit'. I checked in game afterwards and my lil c/t could still use melee dagger but not thrown dagger. The choose a kit by @subtledoctor was still an option to add by EEKeeper apparently stayed even though wiping the mod.
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Bummer. I wonder if it would not be better to totally reinstall the game and make sure everything was deleted first. If only parts of some mods are left in, you could end up with trouble down the road.

I had something similar happen a while back. Not related to this current problem. In the end I had to start over after spending way to much time trying to fix the current install.

I am really concerned about what you said about it removing files from your downloads as well.
    @Ravenslight Well, not particular files from downloads, just the entire download itself. It was almost hard to tell with a alot of mod downloads. Downloading again seems ok at the moment.
    Looks related to some downloads I had to tell Norton to trust, ones alot of us have used.
    Ravenslight
    Maybe time to go back to Kaspersky.
    Trying to reinstall CDTweaks V1 was a fight with Norton.
    Why you dirty lil... :):p

Finally got it though, thankfully, that gets plenty of use. I was thinkin, oh lawd, what now, no Tweaks? ;)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    In recent news several Baldurs gate players become targets of malicious ransomware!

I've always wanted those low key anti virus programs to avoid the usual bullshit with potential false positives.
    edited August 2017
    What a complete shambles this one, but slightly different.

Newest Norton removal was the ENTIRE SoD exe. from Beamdog Client.

"SONAR.Heuristic.170 is a heuristic detection for suspicious processes based on certain attributes."
    And I thought 5 days remaining was soon enough (unless it IS a real problem...)

EDIT: Start of new thread
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65914/norton-security-wipes-sod-exe-beamdog-client#latest
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Man, I'm glad I don't have have Norton Antivirus. That s*cks!
    Zaghoul
    Hehheh, it did. At least this time it did not wipe all the mods as well. I already had 'Horton hears a who' security fixed to accept iffy mods at least (iffy in Horton sqwartons view anyway).
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Norton has been caught occasionally flagging itself as a virus so at this point nothing should be surprising anymore :p
    ZaghoulJuliusBorisovThacoBellelminster
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2017
    I mean considering the things that Norton has done to my systems in the past the above is probably a good thing...
    Kurona
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Kurona said:

Norton has been caught occasionally flagging itself as a virus so at this point nothing should be surprising anymore :p

I mean considering the things that Norton has done to my systems in the past the above is probably a good thing...

Man, am I GLAD I don't have Norton. o.O