Skip to content

Bug or Intention - Spider's Bane

lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
Among many little glitches/anomalies while playing direct connection multiplayer I noticed that Spider's Bane now acts like the Ring of Free Action. I went on single player and was surprised to see this wasn't a multiplayer thing but a new feature of the sword. Is this a bug or was the sword nerfed? I'll be disappointed if this was intentional.

Another thing, the AI isn't working on multiplayer, is this a known issue? I've got both the same versions, no mods, and drivers are up to date on both cpus.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    edited August 2017
    I'm not sure what you mean about nerfing the sword - Spider's Bane has always provided free action while equipped in vanilla. Did you have a mod in a previous game that changed this?

For AI I haven't noticed any problems with AI of enemies - are you talking about NPCs or scripts for your own character?
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I do seem to remember Spider's bane as not having the same conflict with haste as free action does, but I could be mistaken, it's been a while.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Depending on your installation you may have been able to use them both at the same time - but even then it depended on which way round you equipped the boots and sword, i.e. you were benefiting from a bug. Free action now is acting as intended for the spell. Whether of course it is really appropriate that free action blocks beneficial effects as well as detrimental ones is another issue ...
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

This is a change in the sword's behavior in the 2.X version (if compared to 1.3, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11138/is-spiders-bane-supposed-to-prevent-haste), and it's intended.

You do not gain the speed benefits of the boots of speed. The description for the Spider's Bane +2 now incorrectly states that only adverse movement effects are to be affected.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23651

As for the AI, for me it works. What exactly is not working for you?

Why would they do that?

All it will do is turn the sword into another item you carry around and never use, like the bloody ring. Always have it, can't sell it (of course), never use it.

Did they sit around and have a discussion along the lines of,
    "people are enjoying playing this game far too much, gotta stop that otherwise they might not buy our next product"

Perhaps they think if they F up BG enough, people might believe SOD is a good game.
    Not gonna happen.

(end of rant)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

This is a change in the sword's behavior in the 2.X version (if compared to 1.3, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11138/is-spiders-bane-supposed-to-prevent-haste), and it's intended.

You do not gain the speed benefits of the boots of speed. The description for the Spider's Bane +2 now incorrectly states that only adverse movement effects are to be affected.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23651

As for the AI, for me it works. What exactly is not working for you?

Why would they do that?
    It's a situational sword. It's useful for fighting spiders, ettercaps, and spell-slingers who like Web. Oh, and entangling druids.

Furstrating, but it isn't the only situational item in the game; only the most annoying one (IMnsHO).
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    it was always a situational sword. Only worth using as long as it did the most damage in many instances. Otherwise it's free action ability was largely going to waste unless you purposely used a lot of area disabling spells to make it somewhat worth while. And if thta's the case. Combining it with boots of haste really shouldn't matter to heavily because your tactic is still largely functional.

For me most of the time however. Once it's +2'ness can be bettered. I stop using it. The only real reason it gets used at all even is because the Berserking one is just too dangerous. or I have the rare moment where the free action is useful.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Also keep in mind that while boots of speed are convenient and allow you to close with opponents quickly, they don't provide extra attacks like haste does.
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for the clarification. I will need to unequip the sword before hasting then.

As for the AI, it simply doesn't do anything. The default script is as though it was never turned on. Once the character's selected enemy is dead she just stands there as remaining monsters hack away.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    lelag200 said:

As for the AI, it simply doesn't do anything. The default script is as though it was never turned on. Once the character's selected enemy is dead she just stands there as remaining monsters hack away.

Make sure you have enabled the AI (a button on the right of the screen)
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Yeah, it's enabled
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If you have a reproducible save, please, report it on support.baldursgate.com