Skip to content

I don't think Corwin fancies me anymore . . .

I've been romancing Corwin for a while and it all seemed to be going pretty well but she hasn't said anything in ages. Is she giving me the silent treatment or is it all over between us?

Maybe it is because I call her Corwin? Does anyone actually use her first name?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Romances in SoD progress as you reach certain stages of the main quest/places during your journey.

I call her Schael, btw.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

Romances in SoD progress as you reach certain stages of the main quest/places during your journey.

I call her Schael, btw.

So if I want to get lucky I need to get a move on and stop wandering around looking for belladonna and bear skins? Seems reasonable. And maybe I'll start calling her Schael. It is a bit more romantic than Captain Corwin.

I don't normally bother with romances but this one seems pretty good so far.
    It's okay, she's talking to me again. She waited until we were knee-deep in corpses and I was down to about five hit points and then asked me if I was planning to have kids. Nice timing Corwin. Sorry, I mean Schael.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

It's okay, she's talking to me again. She waited until we were knee-deep in corpses and I was down to about five hit points and then asked me if I was planning to have kids. Nice timing Corwin. Sorry, I mean Schael.

Five hit points sounds about right

Joking aside, this is behavior you could find in BG2 as well. Romance talks tend to check whether you are in combat or in dungeons so if the timer runs out when you're fighting outdoors, well... In BG2 there's also the immortal "love talk just after killing a dragon" because their boss rooms are rarely flagged as dungeons for some reason.
    edited September 2017
    I always thought it would make more sense if the romance dialogues were triggered when the party was resting. They always seem to come at the most inopportune moments. You've just buffed the party and you are about to go through the door to confront some big bad and suddenly Jaheira wants a foot rub.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    There are dialogues that trigger just after resting but not all of them. Frankly, if testing mod NPCs taught me something, it's that too many post-rest events can be even more jarring.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Some romance talks do come at the worst times, I agree, but thinking about my past in RL, it is honestly not that uncommon a thing to have happen, hehheh. ;)
    Timing , you ain't lyin. :)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Kurona said:

There are dialogues that trigger just after resting but not all of them. Frankly, if testing mod NPCs taught me something, it's that too many post-rest events can be even more jarring.

The problem with after resting is largely the same like with coming out of a dungeon or battle: you have maybe five companions who were waiting for that very moment to talk to you. You wake up and they all stand by your bedside...
    There are many attempts to keep that at bay, but with all the banter mods, NPCs etc there is no mechanism to synchronise it all. Apart from the fact that your path in the game is pretty random. Not all is as linear as SoD, where they tired a new concept of triggering banters from area *traps*. The effect can be that a lovetalk is triggered after you had a large battle and you all stand bleeding among slain foe.
    If you look at all the game scripts, you will see the limits of finding *the right moment* while still keeping some momentum in development of your relationship with an NPC.
    *Is she still talking to me?* vs *Will she ever shut up*...
    In some mods I have found the option to say *Let us talk about it later* and you get a PID option to start the conversation at your convenience. But if you forget to do it, it may stop progression.

Personally, I think there is no way to make it fit always. This is not saying that some very odd moments may not be improved.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Kurona said:

The problem with after resting is largely the same like with coming out of a dungeon or battle: you have maybe five companions who were waiting for that very moment to talk to you. You wake up and they all stand by your bedside...
    Picturing that... Pretty sure I'd find to be slightly disturbing upon awakening. :*

Oftentimes though, after being in a dungeon where no talks happen, I find it a relief that NPC's chime in again with a comment when it seems like they have been quite for some time. The more the merrier as the interaction is what make the game so much more interesting to me.
    The better NPC's, in my opinion, also have the most options as to how we can reply in conversations.