Skip to content

whats your desktop look like?

unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
I like mine simple and functional. Not worth taking a picture of. Plain blank with a bunch of sticky notes with written reminders and instructions scattered about in no real order.
Zaghoul

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2017
    Mine is basically where shortcuts go only to be ignored. I don't really use it much.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A map of the Sword Coast.
    Balrog99
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I very rarely visit it, so I don't remember really =P
    Couple icons - mostly the basic ones and one of New York City wallpapers that changes every so often (10 or 15 minutes)
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Mine has a laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, coffee mug and a bunch of sticky notes with written reminders and instructions scattered about in no real order, that only get ignored. Oh yes, I also have a map of Sword Coast (printed I'm afraid, lost my original on a move...) :). Actually, it is a bit more of a mess but I get around; somehow?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My desk top is smooth, flat, made out of wood and has usually things placed on it.
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I've got a picture of the 2014 version of Godzilla as my background. Mostly because my 9 year old daughter loves Godzilla, but I have to admit being a bit of a fanboy of his myself...
    ShikaoThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Umm, I reckon mine is still outside growing in the woods somewhere. ;) Hocked everything too big for the lil wagon during the last move just to simplify things and it's been recliner-ville ever since. Heh, I don't even miss having a desk and have yet to bother getting another yet.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    it's pretty cheap, soft wood, meaning it's got a fair bit of scratches and dents, especially in the center, where my computer is. Next to it there's an old laptop i occasionally use as a second monitor, otherwise it's usually closed. It's also got a bucnh of colored scrap papers which i brought back from my finals each year for the last five years, which i use as a combined notepad and mousepad. The stuff's not very durable but i get like 20 each year anyway so. On the other side there's various stuff lying around, a light i've got to install on my bike but haven't bothered to yet, a pencil case turned dice bag and an old copy of war and peace i borrowed from my sister a while ago and haven't yet got around to read.
    There's also probably some keys, pencils, packs of tissues and loose change on there but i've got to say probably because on top of everything there's a ton of various papers which i dropped there once and never bothered to move.

As for my other desktop, it's a got a wallpaper from the webcomic Paranatural, a few shortcuts i've never used piling up on the left side, and a few text documents of what i'm currently working on neatly organised on the right side. My old laptop's desktop, on the other side, has a ton of various text documents, spreadsheets, archives and shortcuts hiding a wallpaper from SSSS, another webcomic.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Chnapy How does one use a laptop as a 2nd monitor?
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Well personally I use Spacedesk to link the two computers, server on the main one, client on the side laptop. Works well enough, although there is some significant lag on the second screen if i don't hook up both computers to the network physically instead of through wifi. Still, even then it does okay for web browsing or just having a stream running on the side.
    Took me about half an hour to set up when i got it and never had any problems afterward.
    FinneousPJ
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Task manager in the middle, blocking out a gorgeous background. Because when my computer is slow, I kill the process responsible.
    Balrog99
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    About my real-life desk, well there are monitor, keyboard speakers, desk lamp on it, along with some utterly unecessary props. Like wooden cartoony cat figure, that stares right into my soul, as well as figure of an owl, a small stormtrooper torso, bought artifical skull that was suveneir from school trip (years ago). There is also my webcam, 2 containers with coloured pencils and markers, my graphic tablet and the rest is pretty much unecessary BS. Oh, I also had a cooling fan next to me.

Regarding my PC's desktop, it is (in contrast to my normal desk) well organized and clean. There are hardly any icons on it, mainly for programs/games I use the most. The rest are sorted into "Programs" and "Games" folders that are on desktop. As for wallpaper, I use a slideshow function. Basically, my wallpaper changes every 10 minutes. Currently as I'm writing it, it is picture of Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist, as seen from behind. with bare back and her looking back at the camera. The picture is actually quite decent. Picture is from mugis-pie.tumblr
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited September 2017
    Organized chaos, most prominent features of which are the monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and my tea mug.

Three columns of game/app icons on the left side, that I hardly ever use. One row of text files on the bottom, where I keep various notes. Chrome window at the center taking up most of the space. Picture of Suigintou from Rozen Maiden in the background, by mtyy artist.
    O_Bruce
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    My desktop is mostly full of all the old BG modding projects I have worked on in the past... Perhaps I should put that stuff in folders...
    O_Bruce
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    My physical desktop is a mountain of paperwork I am too lazy to sort (mostly bills), which has the downside of taking me one good half-hour every time I need to search for something. There are also two mugs, one for tea and one for coffee. At the moment I type this my eyes are drawn to a piece of naphthalene that must be at least 5 years old lol. Oh and my mouse keeps bumping into like 10 pens and pencils I pretty much never use. And an eraser.

Basically that's complete chaos.

My PC desktop is hardly better actually. I have only three shortcuts (CCleaner, Notepad ++ and Atom) but a whole bunch of diff patches containing hex edits to Tactics Ogre despite procrastinating on that mod since last year. A bunch of .cs files that are apparently aborted plugins for Custom Maid 3D (I think). Ah, a Papyrus script called NEV_SampleScript.psc which I'm pretty sure was created by my ex-boyfriend because I've never made a mod for Skyrim.

God why am I such a slob
    ChnapyGusindaArdanis
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    My desktop is clean as an elven arse since I keep all short-cuts hidden.
    My real-life desktop is a mess full of low nominal coins I am too lazy to put in my wallet and empty beer cans.
    Gusinda
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    My main desk is an old dorm desk from Michigan State that I bought 25 years ago. I didn't like the restricted legroom, so I took a sawzall to it and cut out all the drawers except the top ones. On top is an old shelf on top of some pieces of 2x4 that I use as a stand for my monitors. One monitor is shorter than the other, so it's sitting on my copy of the Dragonlance supplement, Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home. The desk is cluttered with all sorts of odds and sods. My grandfather's pocketknife, my old dice bag, a couple CD box sets, mosquito-bite creme, a ball of twine, a shot glass and a water bottle just to name a few.

To my left, I've set another desk at a right angle to the first. This one has a hutch, so it can't be used with dual monitors. On the desktop, I've got my turntable and a desk lamp. I've managed to keep the area between them clear, so I have a place to set my work laptop, or as extra workspace. In the cabinet in the hutch I keep my rum and a few snacks. In other parts of the hutch, and on the floor under the desk are a few reference books, my current non-fiction reads, and the latest batch of LP's, 45's and CD's that I'm digitizing and archiving.

On my monitor desktop, I've got a dozen icons, mostly games. A few applications, like Chrome and MusicBee are pinned to the taskbar. The backgrounds are a slideshow of my "Game walls" directory. It's mostly D&D and Pathfinder, but also all the Beamdog wallpapers, plus NWN, ToEE, and Civ IV & V.